Be careful in the snow!

Spooled

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
I'm driving a MazdaSpeed6 media car right now and I just want to let you guys know that you have to be very careful in the snow with those stock tires!!!! I had flashbacks of driving my MSP with the stock tires in the snow for the first week of winter a couple years back.

They come stock with the Potenza RE050A (they put those tire on Ferraris) which are summer-only tires for good reason. The traction control and AWD ge the car moving fairly easily, even in semi deep snow, but I was STANDING on the brakes and still missed the turn into the parking lot at work this morning. I must have slid 50 ft. past the entrance before giving up and going to the next turn around. I was only doing about 35 mph when I started slowing down early.

Turning is no better, but it's fun at least. AWD + tires that don't stick in the snow with shyte = extremely slow-speed drifting.

The tires are AMAZING on dry pavement, though. I just recommend a good set of snow tires (like I have to tell any of you this).

yes AWD with any tire doesn't mean you can speed like it's cinco de mayo. Take your time, drive safe and leave early. Don't wanna come back to see "Teh 1st Wrecked Speed 6" threads.

Snow tires all the way for me. I wouldnt put my life on anything else. All Season tires to me = summer tires. It's not cause they say all season that they do s***.

A good set of snow tires will cost you much less than an accident. It's a no brainer.

A few all season are better than straight summer ;) Depends on your driving style and experience with the white powdery stuff. Michelins on the 6 were ok and Badyears on the other were ok as well compared to the KDWS.

seanmcsean said:
the stock michelins on the regular 6's suck too!
I had better luck with them as a snow tire than as a racing tire ;)

Dunlop Graspix on my 6.

Like I tell my in-laws.....just because you have AWD, doesn't mean you have any advantage whatsoever when you are braking. Only get snows if you want to go, steer or stop in the snow. Otherwise all seasons are fine.

(all seasons means for Florida, you know!)

jack

Thanks i almost crashed today my sweet 6. Those stock tires are not for snow what so ever. Early today it started to snow here in Chicago and i was thinkin to drive my '00 Malibu or '05 Mazda 6 so i took Mazda and...... I was so suprised, the malibu is like a tank compared to Mazda lol.

I had an ok time with both michelins (16 and 17 inch) but I wasn't in a hurry like others around me.

for sure, hopefully nobody here takes the AWD as a false sense of security. i was cruising through back roads not too long ago where the snow wasn't plowed the greatest... it wasn't snowing at the time, but there was a thin layer of compacted snow on the road surface. driving straight at around 55mph n then all of a sudden losing steering response and feeling your rear end drifting a lil bit is definitely no fun. my face probably looked like this for the rest of the drive home (eek2)

Picked up my MSP6 Friday.
Installed 4 Hankook Icebear Snow Tires Saturday.

I'm not risking it! :)

Jack ffr1846 said:
Dunlop Graspix on my 6.

Like I tell my in-laws.....just because you have AWD, doesn't mean you have any advantage whatsoever when you are braking. Only get snows if you want to go, steer or stop in the snow. Otherwise all seasons are fine.

(all seasons means for Florida, you know!)

jack

Likewise. Dunlop Graspic 2 on the MS6, Toyo winters on the MSP.

R

UtesFanRy said:
Picked up my MSP6 Friday.
Installed 4 Hankook Icebear Snow Tires Saturday.

I'm not risking it! :)

how do you like those tires? and what size do you have? after my "fun" time driving and NOT stopping in the snow yesterday, i've accelerated my search for snow tires

Back