Performance Specs

a10thunder

:
Mazda5
I haven't seen any performance specs for the Mazda5, is it out there? So far, I've only seen previews of the 5 in the U.S. press and that Consumer Reports review. Neither had performance numbers. What I'm looking for are the acceleration, braking and roadholding numbers for the 2.3L version of the 5.

Last edited:
Here are some performance numbers from Consumer Reports (these numbers aren't in the overview article, but are on their website). They tested the 4-speed automatic, so the numbers for the 5-speed manual are almost definitely be better than these:

Tested model: 2006 Touring wagon, 2.3-liter Four, 4-speed automatic
Tires as tested: Toyo Proxes A18, size 205/50R17 89V
Acceleration:
0-30 mph, 3.8 sec.
0-60 mph, 10.3 sec.
Quarter mile, 17.9 sec.
Quarter mile, 79 mph
45-65 mph, 6.3 sec.

Braking
Braking 60-0mph dry, 142 ft.
Braking 60-0mph wet, 154 ft.

Other findings
Transmission : Very Good
Routine handling : Very Good
Emergency handling : Very Good
Avoidance maneuver: max. speed, 50.5 mph
Headlights : Good
Turning circle, 37 ft.
Ground clearance, 5.0 in.

Fuel economy:
CU's overall mileage, 23 mpg
CU's city/highway, 16/31 mpg
CU's 150-mile trip, 28 mpg
Annual fuel: 665 gal. / $1725
Cruising range, 415 mi.

Thanks for posting that! I look forward to some more independent testing. Although there is no way I could love this car so much if its that slow. (eek2) They must have had 6 people in there or something.

I guess I will need to borrow someones G-tech meter to find out for myself.
(bicker)

Anyone else think that the #'s are a lil on the slow side for acceleration figures? What is 0-60 for Maz3 Auto? I think like 8.0 seconds flat? That would be a ~2 Sec penalty for the extra 500lbs?

MazdaDude

It sure doesn't feel as slow to me as the numbers would suggest.
Driving mine feels like a low to mid 9 sec 0-60. Maybe I got a spunky one?
But hey it is all in context, I have had everything from a Turbo RX7, to a VW CamperVan. (rockon)

MazdaDude

mazdadude said:
It sure doesn't feel as slow to me as the numbers would suggest.
Driving mine feels like a low to mid 9 sec 0-60. Maybe I got a spunky one?
But hey it is all in context, I have had everything from a Turbo RX7, to a VW CamperVan. (rockon)

MazdaDude

I've driven both the automatic and the manual during test drives. The 4spd auto is definitely less of a 'performance' setup. 1st gear is quite short so it gives great off-the-line pull and the engine DOES love to rev. There's a pretty big gap to 2nd gear, if memory serves me right, so that's where the zoom slows down a bit. mid 10's to 60mph sounds about right. Still, how fast do you need to go? Are you planning to race this thing?

The 5spd is set up with a shorter 2nd, 3rd gear relative to the Automatic. I'm guessing it might shave as much as a second off 0-60 times? I have no idea, really....

Happy news to report though: Our 5spd GT has been built and is now at sea. (canada)

Lousy news to report: my dealer, who promised to hold 4 steel wheels for me has sold them out from under me. (bicker) Think anyone else has more to fit? Nope! I've been searching everywhere locally. Even TireRack is sold out of 16" steel wheels for the season.

mazdadude said:
Anyone else think that the #'s are a lil on the slow side for acceleration figures? What is 0-60 for Maz3 Auto? I think like 8.0 seconds flat? That would be a ~2 Sec penalty for the extra 500lbs?

MazdaDude

To compare apples-to-apples, Consumer Reports got 0-60 mph in 9.6 seconds for the 2004 Mazda3 Auto. These numbers might all be high (I really don't know), but assuming the testing was nearly identical we can infer that there's only a ~0.7 second difference between the two.

mazdadude said:
What is 0-60 for Maz3 Auto? I think like 8.0 seconds flat? That would be a ~2 Sec penalty for the extra 500lbs?

MazdaDude

think one of the auto mags said 2.3 5-sp was 8.2-.4 to 60.

smaria said:
To compare apples-to-apples, Consumer Reports got 0-60 mph in 9.6 seconds for the 2004 Mazda3 Auto. These numbers might all be high (I really don't know), but assuming the testing was nearly identical we can infer that there's only a ~0.7 second difference between the two.

Thanks smaria,

Those are what I was looking for! The difference in those numbers (9.6 for a Mazda3 and 10.3 for a Mazda5 sound more appropriate for the weight penalty of the Mazda5). I am also curious about comparing the skidpad numbers between the two cars.

I have a feeling that the Consumer Reports figures are more realistic numbers representing normal drivers. Whereas other Car Magazine tests employ driving styles that I would never do to my own car, like powerbraking, or revving the motor up to 4-5k before letting out the clutch. (boom07)

Back