Question for parents with Mazda 5

Hello, everyone! I am currently on the market for a new family vehicle, having figured out that our current 2003 Saab 9-3 is a bit too small for two small children and all the stuff that comes with them. :) So, Mazda 5 sounds very appealing so far, and I was able to see it post-recall at a local dealer (Congressional Mazda in Rockville, MD). Unfortunately, they did not have an automatic to test drive at the moment, but supposedly they are getting more of them in in the next few days.

I had a question for those with two small children. First of all, did you have any problems mounting two child seats on the second row (one forward facing, one - infant)? I'm pretty sure they will fit fine, but was wondering just in case. But also, if anyone has a double stroller (tandem type) - were you able to fit it in the trunk IF the third row seats are up? At a first glance, the trunk with three rows of seats up looked pretty much unusable, except for some very small items, like a couple of grocery bags. This may very well be a deal braker for me, so in case noone will know the answer, I will probably go to the dealership with a stroller and try to fit it in.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Regards,
-M-

mmeytin said:
Hello, everyone! I am currently on the market for a new family vehicle, having figured out that our current 2003 Saab 9-3 is a bit too small for two small children and all the stuff that comes with them. :) So, Mazda 5 sounds very appealing so far, and I was able to see it post-recall at a local dealer (Congressional Mazda in Rockville, MD). Unfortunately, they did not have an automatic to test drive at the moment, but supposedly they are getting more of them in in the next few days.

I had a question for those with two small children. First of all, did you have any problems mounting two child seats on the second row (one forward facing, one - infant)? I'm pretty sure they will fit fine, but was wondering just in case. But also, if anyone has a double stroller (tandem type) - were you able to fit it in the trunk IF the third row seats are up? At a first glance, the trunk with three rows of seats up looked pretty much unusable, except for some very small items, like a couple of grocery bags. This may very well be a deal braker for me, so in case noone will know the answer, I will probably go to the dealership with a stroller and try to fit it in.

Regards,
-M-

We have two children who use seats and have no issues with the second row. There is an anchor system and a tether anchor. You will not however fit a tandem stroller behind the third row. Grocery bags only. I'm not sure if the stroller would fit with the third row down. We are able to fit a standard-sized Graco stroller there. One nice thing about 5 is that, unlike the Honda Pilot we traded, the thrid row is super easy to collapse or open.

mmeytin said:

Regards,
-M-
Of all the vehicles I have owned I have found mounting the seats in the 5 to be the easiest and most secure. With three anchor points the seats are very secure even before the seat belts are attached. As for fitting the tandem stroller with the third row up you are going to have to go to something that is supersized (SUV minivan etc.). We can fit an umbrella stroller with the third row up and the other kid has to walk. Unless the in-laws are in town we use the first two rows and have plenty of cargo space in the rear. It is definitely a pleasure to get the kids in and out of compared to my other two vehicles (Jeep cherokee and Nissan altima) No more tweaked back syndrome from trying to lift them in and out. All this and it doesn't drive and handle like a brick.

works for us!

Your scenario is the reason we chose this vehicle...

the middle seats have an amazing amount of travel to them (front-back) which makes it the easiest vehicle we ever drove to load/unload our clip-in rear-facing seat & our toddler in a full carseat. In most other vehicles our rear-facing seat bumps on the front passenger seat, making it very difficult to remove. The seats are quite low with lots of headroom, so you don't wreck your back leaning in at weird angles to strap in the kiddies.

Behind the third row... well no, you are not going to keep a normal stroller there. If you need that feature, you need a full out minivan.

This vehicle is a 4 seater + a bunch of stuff, or a 6 seater + a bit of stuff.

NOTE: the 3rd row is split folding, and our jogging stroller fits on one half when folded, so this may work for you as well.

Either way - MUCH easier and MUCH more "configurable" than the alternatives. And still room for the inlaws when they come to town!

this is a great thread. i recently got married and need to get rid of my 2-door integra for a more family-friendly vehicle. i was wondering the same thing about car seats and strollers for the 5.

pbdave said:
Your scenario is the reason we chose this vehicle...

the middle seats have an amazing amount of travel to them (front-back) which makes it the easiest vehicle we ever drove to load/unload our clip-in rear-facing seat & our toddler in a full carseat. In most other vehicles our rear-facing seat bumps on the front passenger seat, making it very difficult to remove. The seats are quite low with lots of headroom, so you don't wreck your back leaning in at weird angles to strap in the kiddies.

Behind the third row... well no, you are not going to keep a normal stroller there. If you need that feature, you need a full out minivan.

This vehicle is a 4 seater + a bunch of stuff, or a 6 seater + a bit of stuff.

NOTE: the 3rd row is split folding, and our jogging stroller fits on one half when folded, so this may work for you as well.

Either way - MUCH easier and MUCH more "configurable" than the alternatives. And still room for the inlaws when they come to town!

Yup, same exact reasons why we got the 5 too.

:)

As for the availability of the MZ5, you should check out FitzMall over in Frederick. They've got several MZ5 Sport automatics in stock, but no Touring automatic.

If you're interested in a Touring with Automatic and Nav, I would recommend Winchester Mazda. We just bought from them last week. It was a bit far from Northern VA, but they gave a fair price on the car and blue book on my trade. Ask for Tom Brown, the Internet Sales Manager.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks a lot for a bunch of quick and useful responses. Please keep them coming, in case someone else wants to share their experience with Mazda 5 and children - I think this will be useful to many prospective buyers and current owners. I will also post my experience once I get a chance to test drive the vehicle. I am still hoping to find a tandem stroller that fits in the trunk - the most popular Graco DuoGlider is a bit too heavy and too large, even without taking Mazda's trunk into consideration.

-M-

We have the 5 currently configured with a toddler in the second row, a booster seat (seat only - our Graco Turbo Booster with back didn't fit with the third row headrest, so we bought a Cosco seat-only booster for our 6 1/2 year old) in half of the third row, and a Maclaren Techno Classic single stroller stowed behind the third row. (It fits with the third row seats both upright also). We'll have an infant seat in the other second row seat by the end of the year, which means we won't be able to use the flip-out console doohickey, as the center passageway is KEY for getting the big kids in and out of the "way back". We often have another 6 year old in the second 3rd row seat, and he's so big he doesn't need a booster back there. All in all, it's a great around-town car for a bunch of kids. We'll have to get the roof pod if we want to take any road trips.

We bought ours at Darcars College Park Mazda, but we got a 5-speed. I believe they found it for us at a dealer in VA.

2 kids here - in boosters. I agree with the above posters that getting kids in and out of the 5 is a cinch. SOOOOO much better than either car or minivan - the height of the 5 is perfect, not too high, not too low and my back is all the happier for it! The large opening of the sliding doors is also wonderful - it makes access all that much easier (IIRC the 5 slides wider than the MPV doors)

We no longer bring a stroller around with us but the versatility of the rear seat configuration will definitely be to your advantage. The splitting 3rd row may allow you to add another passenger along with a stroller OR if the kids don't really have long legs yet - you could slide the 2nd row seats back and put the stroller in between the driver and the kids seat - I would bring the stroller to the dealership and try different scenarios.

Currently, we always keep the 3rd row closed and I find that it's ALOT of space back there when transporting groceries, etc. But the seats raise so easily that adding extra passengers in a pinch is no problem. We've driven a few places with 6 large adults with no space issues at all - very comfortable ride.

Just bought my new Mazda5 today, Carbon-Grey, I absolutely love it!!

Currently I have two kids in car seats and one on the way. Before we bought the car, we drove from the dealer to my house (20 miles) and put all the kids car seat's in and a double stroller with one of the rear seats down. Everything Fit without a problem!! Not quite a minivan...not quite a station wagon, man I'm lovin it!! Can't wait until we get some aftermarket love (body kit, accessories, etc.) By the way, nice to meet you all

Tushawn said:
With three anchor points the seats are very secure even before the seat belts are attached.

I am taking this to read that you are connecting not only the top teather (goes over the seat), the two lower LATCH anchors (crease between the seat) and the seatbelt?

This is a BIG no no. I think you need to read the manual that came with your carseat. It will show you the proper installation with LATCH, which does not include a seat belt.
LATCH is an ALTERNATE to seatbelt usage, not in conjunction with. The lower anchors are to always be used with the top teather, however, to use all 3 would put too much strain on the seat in an accident and likely shatter the seat to pieces.

your options for using ANY child seat are:

Seatbelt only (if car is not top tether achor equiped)
Seatbelt and top tether anchor
Lower LATCH connectors AND top tether.

I don't want to step on anyones toes, as I have just registered here, however, a misuse like this could cost a life.

Tracy-
Mom of 3
Soon to take her NHTSA/SafeKids test to certify in Child Passenger Safety.

Myztri said:
I am taking this to read that you are connecting not only the top teather (goes over the seat), the two lower LATCH anchors (crease between the seat) and the seatbelt?

This is a BIG no no. I think you need to read the manual that came with your carseat. It will show you the proper installation with LATCH, which does not include a seat belt.
LATCH is an ALTERNATE to seatbelt usage, not in conjunction with. The lower anchors are to always be used with the top teather, however, to use all 3 would put too much strain on the seat in an accident and likely shatter the seat to pieces.

your options for using ANY child seat are:

Seatbelt only (if car is not top tether achor equiped)
Seatbelt and top tether anchor
Lower LATCH connectors AND top tether.

I don't want to step on anyones toes, as I have just registered here, however, a misuse like this could cost a life.

Tracy-
Mom of 3
Soon to take her NHTSA/SafeKids test to certify in Child Passenger Safety.

I concur, using the seatbelt with both anchor systems is wrong. I currently use the tether witht he latch system.Thanks for the heads-up Tracy.

Hey Myztri,
Answer me this question. We have a 5 mo old in a rear facing new graco detachable from base car seat that is anchored by the 2 seat anchors. I know how to do it that is fine, but my question is. It is my belief that the seat comes up in an accident and cacoons the baby (hence why it moves up but not left and right). If my thoughts are correct, then the child seat carrying handle should be folded back when she is riding and not straight up. My wife insists that it goes straight up, but im guessing that it would hit the seat in an accident and give my kid whiplash. Let me know what you think.

Break out the manual. The handle needs to be down at all times in the car. the manual should say this, however you can look up the manual on gracobaby.com. You are correct. The handle being up would not effect the rebound, HOWEVER, it would shatter and possible impale the child with plastic fragments.

Just a few notes- Always make sure the straps are tight, so that you cannot pinch a fold in the straps. No heavy coats or after market products (under seats mats, mighty tite) and that the straps are at or below the shoulders.
Extended rearfacing is best, so remember it is 1 year AN 20 lbs MINIMUM. Also, all seats expire after 6 years, so check the date of manufacture on the bottom of all seats so that you know when they expire.

Last edited:
fam said:
Hey Myztri,
Answer me this question. We have a 5 mo old in a rear facing new graco detachable from base car seat that is anchored by the 2 seat anchors. I know how to do it that is fine, but my question is. It is my belief that the seat comes up in an accident and cacoons the baby (hence why it moves up but not left and right). If my thoughts are correct, then the child seat carrying handle should be folded back when she is riding and not straight up. My wife insists that it goes straight up, but im guessing that it would hit the seat in an accident and give my kid whiplash. Let me know what you think.

Actually in the case of an accident the seat flexes down (it protects the baby and the seat absorbs the shock) and then back up (so it is important to make sure the back of the frontseat do know hinder the rear facing childseat from doing this. If I am not mistaken the clearance should be at least 1 inch ).

You are actually incorrect. Most carseat techs will reccomend bracing a seat.
It is perfectly okay for a seat to NOT rebound. In fact, one of the leading makers of carseats, Britax, has a specially made infant seat with an anti-rebound bar. It is one of the safest infant seats on the market. http://www.britaxusa.com/products.cfm?id=C87BAA92-C978-454F-B3C53F5D39E25EAB

Edited to add- Baby trend also has a seat called a Latchloc20 and a latchloc 22. they are/were equipt with a RIGID LATCH system, which also worked as anti rebound.

Fisher-price also had a seat called the stay-in-view, which had an anti rebound base. ( i am lucky enough to own one of these gems that is not expired.) Britax seats are also the only seats made that can tether rear facing, to make a better installation. It is called... no surprise here... the brace and tether method.. lol
A little info on rear facing tether and birtax seats (which again, are the only ones that can be tethered ear facing.)
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html

I can easily dig up more on bracing if youd like...

Last edited:
2 kids who were in car seats at time of shopping, but are now in boosters while we await delivery. We tried both configurations during test drives. Wow. A cinch for them to get themselves in and out, and for us to reach in and buckle them. Even in tandem with one in the 3rd row they both could have tolerable leg room. With both kids in the 2nd row there is TONS of cargo room with 3rd row down, or 3rd row split. Tried an MPV in the show room and it had a noticeably higher step-in height and the kids had a bit of trouble climbing in by themselves. Now we're in snow suits for the next 5mo. to I imagine it would have been that much harder. This vehicle is ideal for us sizewise. We can't wait to take delivery.

Hey Myztri,
I have 2 toddlers (a 4 year old boy and a 3 year old girl) AND a little girl that is due on Thursday. My wife and I traded in our 2002 Taurus for the 5, and it has been REALLY great to us. It is a breeze getting the kids in and out of the second row. We have the 4 year old in the third row with his booster seat, and the 3 year old and the infant's seat in the second row. Granted, the car seats do take up some room and my 4 year old does sometimes get his feet cramped in the back, but that has only happened just recently when we put the infant's seat in the seat in front of him (we just moved him behind his sister). There is not a lot of room for groceries if you are using all your seats, but if not, you should have enough room. I have a double stroller (which, in a way, prompted us to buy the Taurus...that's a different story), and we can't really fit it too well in the back (length-wise). Despite some room issues in the back (genreated mostly from fiting an infant seat in the equation), the 5 has been a great choice.
The 5 drives incredible. It responds and handles any road with ease. It has a very tight turn radius and a very sporty feel. Once you get it on the highway, it just sticks to the road. You have to try it to really know how amazing it is. VERY easy to parellel park. It seems to glide across bumps and pits in the road. The seats are EXTREMELY comfortable. They are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in in a car.
It has decent pick up, but it can feel a bit underpowered at times. I get about 20 MPG in the city and 26 on the highway (with an automatic transmission). Visibility is really good as well. You can see what's going on around you pretty easily.

We take road trips often (since all our family lives 1500 miles away) so we had comfort as one of our top priorities. We are very pleased with after driving to Mobile, AL from western Lousiana and back.

Yeah, you should get one...or AT LEAST go try one if at all possible. You won't be sorry.

Concern about children in rear seats...

Hello,

My husband and I are considering the Mazda 5; however, we are concered about having children seated in the third row in the event of a rear end collision because of its proximity to the tailgate.

Does anyone have any information regarding our safety concerns?

Thanks!

Can't find the link I had before, but it passes the upcoming NHTSA 50mph rear-impact test. That's something a lot of other small vehicles won't do. I have no worries here. Also, check out high scores on the Euro NCAP crash tests. Yeah, "only" 3/5 stars on child occupant protection, but few other vehicles fare better. I feel very safe in this car - as much as I can be in any car on today's roads. Sophisticated braking system and agile handling are "safety" features that aren't considered in any crash tests.

Back