Roof rails?

perfecto

:
2006 Mazda 5 GT
Has anyone got any good leads on roof rails yet? I have family in the UK so I'm trying that avenue, getting them to physically go to the dealership, avoiding all "shipping" concerns.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else is doing anything to source them?

As your aware I have posted a number of threads regarding this and I am making glacial progress. I have spoken with another Mazda dealer in UK and they were very helpful, it seems that have had a few calls from Canada. Initially he felt it would be cost prohibitive over 1000 LBS, because he felt we would need the support members under the roof. I went to Mazda dealer and got a diagram of the existing support members with part numbers and will be sending it off to see if the rails they have would mount direct to the existing supports, which are probably identical to the UK model. I have also been looking at two racks by a company called Perrycraft, the Aventura and the Dynasport. http://www.perrycraft.com/roof_racks/racks_main.htm
These might be a good option but some modifications would be required to use the existing mounting points on the Mazda5. When I have further I will post.

Last edited:
May I assume that folks here are looking for some kind of longitudinal rail system rather than the lateral bars as listed by the MazdaUSA website?

After searching since getting our Mazda 5 in August, I believe I have exhausted all possibility of getting the longitudinal euro rails. I also spoke with 2 Mazda dealers in the UK and the bottom line was too expensive to order from Europe. Mazda Canada looked into it and said the understructure and attachment points are different. I ordered a Maggie Rack from Topline and thought it would work well, unfortunately to properly install I should take out the headliner because I need to make sure I don't drill into the side curtain airbags. I must admit I find it difficult to believe that the Euro rails could not at least be adapted to fit the NA Mazda5. I wonder if it would be possible to order just one of the Euro brackets to see if they could actually mount to the NA vehicle. There is another thread on Edmunds regarding this topic http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.ef90f53/198 I think I will post there also to see if anyone has contacts to acquire a bracket.

Back