5 speed manual hesitation?

mazdaFIVEmike

Contributor
:
2006 Mazda 5 GT 5spd
I've got a 5speed manual transmission GT that seems to have a hesitation in 1st and 2nd gear off cold starts. The symptoms disappear after I've gone through 3 or 4 shifts. Does anyone else have this? What was the diagnosis/remedy? I seem to be getting the run around.

Yes, I noticed the same thing on my 5speed5. I figured it had something to do with the variable intake or valve timing until the engine warmed just a bit or something, but maybe that makes no sense? Is it similar to some kind of "choke" from long ago? Since it consistently goes away after a couple of shifts, I haven't worried about it. By the way, I've had my 5 for less than a week and it has a bit over 200 miles on it, so it's very new. I do love this car though!

I've got about 2500km (1550mi) and its been there since day 1. I asked the service manager about it and he said there was nothing wrong. I've just never experienced anything like it before and I've driven lots of manual transmission vehicles. It just doesn't seem right is all.

For now I just have to assume it's supposed to be like that due to the programming of the engine electronics for whatever reason... not sure why it would be necessary, but I doubt that anything is "wrong" with the car. I'm going to watch this thread and see what others have to say too. I'll also pay more attention to it when driving and see if I notice any difference between when the engine is cold vs. warm or other variables.

This post full of speculation and little substantive help.

I STILL don't have my Mazda5, but I do know that many modern vehicles are mapped to maintain fairly high revs for a split second during a shift. This is to keep the catalytic converter warm, or promote rapid warm-up and clean burning. This means that your revs might not immediately drop when you lift throttle between shifts... so the effect is similar to driving an engine with a "heavy flywheel" effect. Of course the way I read what you're saying makes me think you mean the opposite -- that there is a stumble between shifts. I have never heard of that being normal.

I know that the 2.3L MZR engine had problems its first year with cold-weather starting, but I believe that has since been solved with a software remapping in later engines. Our 5's should be unaffected, I hope.

I've got around 8,000km on my 5 and haven't noticed it... I do have a rattle in my driver's side door during hard acceleration though :(

5thAve said:
I STILL don't have my Mazda5, but I do know that many modern vehicles are mapped to maintain fairly high revs for a split second during a shift. This is to keep the catalytic converter warm, or promote rapid warm-up and clean burning. This means that your revs might not immediately drop when you lift throttle between shifts... so the effect is similar to driving an engine with a "heavy flywheel" effect. Of course the way I read what you're saying makes me think you mean the opposite -- that there is a stumble between shifts. I have never heard of that being normal.

I know that the 2.3L MZR engine had problems its first year with cold-weather starting, but I believe that has since been solved with a software remapping in later engines. Our 5's should be unaffected, I hope.

Well, what we're talking about is completely independent from the actual shifting. What happens is that when accelerating from a stop, the car accelerates for a couple of seconds at what seems like a normal speed and then all of a sudden there is a power surge as the rpm's increase, then it repeats in second gear... accelerate at a normal speed, and then a power surge. The surge actually feels fun to me, but I haven't noticed it in 3rd gear or higher. The engine does not hold the surge or rev's during the shift... depressing the clutch and getting off the gas the engine is completely normal as it winds down. There is no stumbling or "holding" of rpm's while shifting. I like your idea of this being related to keeping the catalytic converter warm. Perhaps Mazda's electronics adjust the air/fuel mix in some way to rapidly increase the exhaust system temperature during the first couple of accelerations. Does any of this sound reasonable?? (uhm)

perfecto said:
I've got around 8,000km on my 5 and haven't noticed it... I do have a rattle in my driver's side door during hard acceleration though :(

Yes, mine does that as well - I'll be asking about it at the first service check. I'll keep you informed as to the outcome.

5thAve said:

You are correct - it is the opposite. Its more like the engine is holding back, then things kick in and you get and extra boost of zoom zoom. It does this only in 1st and 2nd and disappears after 2 or 3 starts from 1st gear. The service manager did mention something about the catalytic converter but to be honest - he kinda lost me. All I know is that it doesn't feel right to me. Combine that with the fact that I'm not getting the gas mileage others are reporting makes me think that there is a bit more going on.

My mazda 3 does the same thing every morning until it warms up. I have a turbo on it with a programable fuel system and still does it. Maybe there is something in the timing, VVT or intake system.

Yeah, I noticed it this morning now that I was aware of it - seems to happen just over 3,000 RPM. :)

MT Hesitation

Man I thought it was just my shifting but I have encountered this effect various times and am dumbfounded by the timing of hesitation, freeway onramps road crossings this is unacceptable... (boom07)

Super Mario said:
I own an M5 too, except its made by BMW.

Well la-de-da-da.... (moon) obviously you are unhappy with it if you are reading about other vehicles... sorry about your luck.

Last edited:
My mazda3 does the same thing also. If I accelerate quickly it doesn't. Just seems to be during normal acceleration, but I haven't noticed it to be big enough to worry over. And I think it was more evident when it was cold, but I have a remote start, so it isn't cold very often when I'm driving! I also found myself adapting for the lag by either accelerating quicker or shifting.

perfecto said:
Nobody said M5 on this thread until you did.

username: unhappyM5owner

Sorry, i guess its really not something i should post about but for some reason its one of the most irritating things to see. Sorry *shrugs*.

Back