Cat Back - APEX for Mazda 6i

I've heard racing beat (at least for axle back anyway).. They aren't as loud and they have a nice refined sound..

racing beat are the refined "Grown Mans" exhaust. With MF and bosal you are in for a real treat. I had to dynomat the trunk,backseats, and the heatshields directly above the mufflers to bring the drone down in the cabin. I wish the exhaust note was at the stock value as the mm. I can hear a small taste of the exhaust w/o being distracted from the factory radio. Bosal and the other Less restrictive catbacks on the 6i are uber loud. when you put it on a 6s then it's alot quieter cause they have 2 more seonators than we do(Cats) My most valuable advice to you is to find someone with similar exhaust on a 6i not 6s and then listen to it under load(Moving) inside and outside the car with windows up and down before tou fully commit to it. the bosal was a $500 catback that I ended up hating. Not saying you might not like the being as loud as a civic but sounding alot deeper and less raspy. Also last bit of info is unless you get header(s) there is no gains from adding a catback to the 6i or 6s other than sound and bragging rights.

That does make sense to upgrade headers before adding a cat back system.
What would you say would be the first upgrade on a 6i (CAI)?

Da 6 said:
racing beat are the refined "Grown Mans" exhaust. With MF and bosal you are in for a real treat. I had to dynomat the trunk,backseats, and the heatshields directly above the mufflers to bring the drone down in the cabin. I wish the exhaust note was at the stock value as the mm. I can hear a small taste of the exhaust w/o being distracted from the factory radio. Bosal and the other Less restrictive catbacks on the 6i are uber loud. when you put it on a 6s then it's alot quieter cause they have 2 more seonators than we do(Cats) My most valuable advice to you is to find someone with similar exhaust on a 6i not 6s and then listen to it under load(Moving) inside and outside the car with windows up and down before tou fully commit to it. the bosal was a $500 catback that I ended up hating. Not saying you might not like the being as loud as a civic but sounding alot deeper and less raspy. Also last bit of info is unless you get header(s) there is no gains from adding a catback to the 6i or 6s other than sound and bragging rights.

The stock exhaust is basicly close to the aftermarket designs with the exception of resonator and muffler choices. Header(s) would yeild more gains cause thats the restriction mostly on the 6s. 6i has minmal restrictions that you could see gains but not like 20WHP gains. Nof if you took the Hiboost exhaust mods route then you would see more than 20WHP :) Just header(s) or just catback won't do you much but every lil bit helps. There are members here with header so they can coment more on that. Some people actualy after header(s) went back to stock cat back cause it got too loud for their taste. All I did was Bosal axle back and I had cops bluelight me left and right.

Last edited:
Nando 6i said:
That does make sense to upgrade headers before adding a cat back system.
What would you say would be the first upgrade on a 6i (CAI)?

Intake first. The CPE one is tits

intake is the restriction. Airbox is only aprox 44% efficent when the vad flapper opens at VVT. The resonator removal was the biggest change in airflow than stock minus a air filter. Leave the VAD sensor disconected and also remove the baffle plate from bottom and you should be good. Removing the scuba tube does nothing cause the hole leave it vurnable to heat soak.

Da 6 said:
intake is the restriction. Airbox is only aprox 44% efficent when the vad flapper opens at VVT. The resonator removal was the biggest change in airflow than stock minus a air filter. Leave the VAD sensor disconected and also remove the baffle plate from bottom and you should be good. Removing the scuba tube does nothing cause the hole leave it vurnable to heat soak.
OK..If you must insist on such accurate data, we need a pic or two...:rofl:

All kidding aside, great info! (bowdown)

In How-To section labeled airbox mod.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112500

Snippette...
Whats wrong with the stock intake system? Well nothing really, it does its job perfectly. Its a great sound buffer (you can hardly hear the v6 in the 6s), and it restricts power until VVT, allowing for decent stock mileage while just puttin around town. However when the VAD (flapper which controls variable air intake) is closed, the intake is HEAVILY restricted and is only flowing around 30-40% its max capable flow. This combined with soundproofing devices are sucking valuable power from the car. This of course can be solved with an aftermarket intake.
snippette...
Via 6 Tech. Not shure if it was crossbow or stretch who had cp-e flowbentch the stock airbox with resonator and no filter and w/o resonator and filter on.

Back