Just Test Drove a new 5! Love It!

Chewy

Hey all...I'm new here...just test drove a new Carbon Gray Mica 5 with auto, sunroof and CD Changer....honestly, one of the best cars I've driven in a while. I'm buying just after Thanksgiving, so figured it was time to test drive finally. I didn't notice many on the lots, but the salesman assured me there would be one in stock for me when it was time to buy.....great forum you all have here. Looking forward to getting my new Mazda5. I'm glad it has the usefullness of a mini-van, without looking like a mini-van. Been there done that (rlaugh)

See you all around the boards (thumb)

perfecto said:
If you have a chance, test drive a manual as well. :) That's my advice!

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks...since it's going to be my car (wife has a Honda Element), I told her that I would probably end up getting the manual at purchase time if I can find one. I liked the auto with the "manual" mode, but I've been driving manuals since I started driving over 15 years ago, and I'm much more comfortable with a manual....so hopefully there's a manual on the lot after Turkey Day, or one they can get on a trade nearby....if not, settling on an auto won't make me hate the car by any means...we'll see what happens.

If you're set on a manual, you might be in for a bit of a wait. From what I hear, they're somewhat hard to come by.
Best 'o luck to you, and enjoy your new 5 (when you get it ;).

Thanks guys...they had a 5 speed 5 on the showroom floor when I went in, but not in the color I wanted...I'll just have to wait and see. Like I said, I won't hate it if I have to get the auto...I don't think I would want to wait more than a few days just for a manual if that's the case...too impatient :)

Hi there.

This might be my first post, but I went to test drive one this past week. I test drove a 5 speed sport (the only 1 of 4 which had the recall fix). Obviously top heavy, but it handled fairly well. A few suspension mods would do amazing things for this vehicle. I had them look up what I wanted, a 5spd Touring, no options. 1... in the country... and its not even to the destination yet. Its on a boat in the pacific, headed to TX. If I end up getting one (another option is a 2k3 protege5, which I'm seriously considering), I'll just special order a carbon grey mica 5spd touring, and sit and wait on it. I have a family of 4 with a 3y/o and a newborn. This car would be perfect for us. Another option... there is a 6spd 2k5 RX-8 on the lot, no options, red. Sticker 27,4xx, on sale for 22,998$. I don't know how they did it, the salesman doesn't know how they did it, but I want it.

Just a couple cents worth of info on the the 5spd tourings. BTW, there is a black 5spd sport on its way to the dealer with (i think) the pop equp package... the dealer that is 20 minutes away from me. That looks VERY tempting.

**BRENT**

Chewy said:
Thanks guys...they had a 5 speed 5 on the showroom floor when I went in, but not in the color I wanted...I'll just have to wait and see. Like I said, I won't hate it if I have to get the auto...I don't think I would want to wait more than a few days just for a manual if that's the case...too impatient :)

Look up here in Northern, VA. Several of the dealerships up here have the Gray Touring with 5 speed.

I'm waiting on a Platinum Silver Touring to hit the dealership... Just trying to be patient...

same here perfecto.

I'm hoping that for 2006.5 or 2007 they come out with purdy gauges like the 3 has. My VW has the blue/red gauges, and after driving with that, anything else seams off (except for my brothers audi which is white/red). I hate driving my mountaineer at night. The green/orange sucks. The 5 is better than my mountaineer, but not by much. blue/red would be much better.

I know I can't afford to buy a 5 until fall, so why not wait and see what they come out with for the 07's.

MexicanDragon said:
I had them look up what I wanted, a 5spd Touring, no options.

That's what I got. I certainly think the base 5spd Touring is a better value than a 5spd Sport with additional packages. The main things I like are the climate control, which is really nice, and the fold out tray for the second row, neither of which you can get as an option on the Sport models.

We just picked up our Plat. Silver Touring, Automatic. We absolutely love it. It is so easy to get in and out of. The interior is very spacious. All of the controls are where they should be. The climate control is SWEET! Just set it and forget it! Telescopic steering, lumbar seat adj, steering wheel controls, I could go on and on.... I might have to get another for the old lady, (wrc) as she has been sneaking off in it more than me. (lol2)

Once you drive this car, you will want it!

Mazdadude (2thumbs)

I just bought the 5speed touring Carbon Mica Grey...more pep than the automatic, so far I really like the car, it's so sporty

My Platinum Sport will get to me on Wednesday when my husband returns from Ft. Hood, however, I am slightly disappointed, as I wanted a manual, and lack of availablity gave me an auto instead.

Captain KRM P5 said:
i like the car alot. my wife however, does not.

I was in the same situation...my wife wanted a Ford Freestyle, and at first she hated the 5, but she finally came around after we test drove it together, and she realized how practical and convient the car was, especially since we have 3 kids in car seats

(thumb)

just drove the 5 on the Dealers"test loop". 15 mins of mixed driving. (utterly useless to really tell anything about this space vehicle) that being said...great brakes,the auto sucks, long live 5 speeds. hopefully the 5 speed helps the zoom zoom factor cuz after driving a Jetta for 14yrs the 5 (w/ auto) felt like a minivan. that said, turn in was crisp w/ only a little hint of oversteer @ the limit but man you could tell it wasn't a car. top heavy in a word. lowering springs would really help. the surge i've heard some talk of on this site is the variable valve timing so no big whoop. the seats suck. period. the head rest is not adjustable forward/backward. the seat is too short( it feels as though i'm sitting on a ledge) this can be cured when you get after market leather w/ the addition of more foam to better support the hamstrings. the lateral support is just fine. as well the steering wheel could tilt slightly lower. long and the short of it we still are looking for the new wheels.

theweev said:
... hopefully the 5 speed helps the zoom zoom factor cuz after driving a Jetta for 14yrs the 5 (w/ auto) felt like a minivan. that said, turn in was crisp w/ only a little hint of oversteer @ the limit but man you could tell it wasn't a car. top heavy in a word. lowering springs would really help. the surge i've heard some talk of on this site is the variable valve timing so no big whoop. ...

have to say I disagree - we traded in our Jetta for our new Mazda5 and it pretty much kicks the Jetta's ass hands down (both auto's) off the line. The 5 is a tad top-heavy, but show me any other 6 seater that handles better than this...yours it not really a fair comparison. Maybe you just found all the extra headroom a bit unsettling? Overall we love it. The 17's grip well on dry & wet and on the highway it just purrs. Even with 6 passengers it manages well. I remember my Jetta with 5 people in it - always looked like the ass was dragging on the ground, and it drove like a slug.

pbd,
Its hard to argue the straight line ability of the 5. My 92 jetta has only 100hp compared to the 157, DOHC 4 banger w/ variable valve timing that sits in the 5. It should beat the jetta. I've only owned 5 speeds primarily because i really like to drive. Drive, as in find ways to invoke oversteer at every chance on a wet west coast day. Drive, as in drift the back end of my fathers dodge2500 cummins ( talk about head room ), drift my buddy's M5 and drive the rubber off the rims of my sisters MX5 ( wow!! is that not the most fun you can have with your fly done up :0 ). This on top of torturing all the cars I've owned. I have the bills and the depleated bank account to prove it.
Granted it may not be an entirely equal comparison. That said everyone on this sight has tried everything in their power to convince each other ( and anyone else who will listen) that the 5 is a car. Same class as the Matrix, which is a car. Built on a stretched 3 chassis, which is a car. Shares the same chassis w/ the Volvo S40 and the European Focus, again, cars. So the comparison is only unfair in that one's a sedan the other a hatch back. I guess I was just a little disapointed given all the fantastic things that everyone on this sight has been saying since it came on to the scene in N. America.( and all your info and post have been invaluable in doing the research for the next set of wheels-thank you). I know zoom -zoom, it's my sisters MX5 w/ 5speed. Her car was bomb proof over the years. WAY more so than my jetta. And as I said right at the start the dealer's test loop did not give me, or anyone else testing this car any real chance to truely exploit this cars potential. A 5 speed allows more control of a car in, through and out of corners. Period. They don't race automatics. I love every practical part of the 5 and the looks are dynomite. But until i drive this car in a 5 speed..... I stand by what i wrote. And you have to grant me the fact that the seats are no where near as comfortable as your old Jetta. ;)

Back