Trying to buy a 5 (frustrated rant)

So my wife and I have been looking to get a 5 since I read about it in Motor Trend. It just seemed perfect for our needs, and since lurking here for a bit after looking at them, it seems a lot of people think the same way! So we went down last weekend to check it out.

The nearest Mazda dealer is about 40 minutes away, either north or south and we went south. Got there, told the salesman we wanted to check out the 5, and he quickly went inside for a couple minutes, then came out and told us about the recall (boom07) Damn, can't even drive 'em! So we check it out as much as we can, and he says he thought they had the recall parts, and the cars should be done in about a week. So, the next day, Sunday, we drove up to the other dealer to check out more color options. They have the exact car we wanted, but with $2500 mark up. So we decide to stick to our first dealer.

We went down Halloween night to talk to him and run numbers, and they closed early. Then went down Friday night and our salesman had just left early. By this time we're pretty ticked off. So another salesman says he'll be in all day Saturday, so we're there at 12:00. Our salesman is running late, we'll have to wait! SO, after taking all our info, trade-in, etc., he comes back and says that they won't even run the numbers to get us a payment amount until they have them all fixed! They didn't have any 5 speeds, but the other dealer did, and were saying that a dealer trade would be no problem, then yesterday wouldn't run numbers on a 5 speed that they didn't have exact pricing on. So I gave them a printout from Mazdausa.com of the window sticker of the black 5 speed at their competitor that we want to buy. Even that isn't good enough. So supposedly we're going to get a call when the cars are fixed, then we can make a deal. And even then, they'll have to either order us the one we want, or make a dealer trade, which means another trip without bringing home a new car.

Luckily, I checked out the other dealers website, and they advertise their "e-pricing" without the dealer mark up, so the plan at this point is to call them and see what they can do for us. The first dealer got pretty rude and unhelpful so they've just lost a sale. The other dealer in Salem already told us he could sell us the car, we just couldn't take it home.

I totally understand about waiting for parts in a situation like this as I've worked at a couple of dealers, currently Toyota/Scion/Subaru, I just want to be treated like they actually want to sell me a car, not like I'm wasting their time. Rant over, thank you for listening. Hopefully I'll be posting soon with pics of my new car!
Andrew

let it all out... when you get your P5 everything will be better. I love mine, hopefully you will too.

Breeegz said:
let it all out... when you get your P5 everything will be better. I love mine, hopefully you will too.

P5?

Wrong forum dood. This is the Mazda5 section.
IMG_0339.jpg

oops, my bad...

hey, I think I've seen you around town... lol

Breeegz said:
oops, my bad...
no prob :)

As for the other guy...sorry to hear about your troubles.
I'm not sure what your plans are, but if you haven't driven a 5, I'd wait to actually drive one before you buy it. You might find it's what you want. Don't get me wrong, I love mine! But you just never know.

And for that dealer that's trying to play hardball with you, play hardball back. I picked up mine for less than MSRP. Which I guess is kinda difficult to do with a brand new vehicle (dunno).

Lastly, Good luck
smiley_thumbs_up.gif

Any ideas when new Mazda5 shippments will hit the dealerships? There isn't a Platinum Sliver Touring with Navi anywhere in the Washington, DC area...

andrewlcraft said:
Woohoo! Gotta call from the dealer up in Salem, their cars are fixed & we plan on driving one tomorrow night!
Cool beans! Enjoy the ride...oh wait, that's nissan.

Enjoy the Zoom-Zoom (thumb)

the_saint said:
Cool beans! Enjoy the ride...oh wait, that's nissan.

Enjoy the Zoom-Zoom (thumb)
The Zoom-Zoom was awesome. Drove the black 5-speed that we're interested in and loved it, even though it was dark and rainy. Now we're just waiting to hear about the financing, as we're quite upside down on our trade-in. Power Mazda in Salem has been great in dealing with us. Even if we end up paying their full markup (unlikely), it will be worth going there.

Great! I hope everything works out for you.
I know when the 5 was first released they seemed to be going for MSRP (I had to fight pretty hard to get them to come down). I don't know if they'll still be the same or if the dealers will be a little more lax since the recall.

the_saint said:
Great! I hope everything works out for you.
I know when the 5 was first released they seemed to be going for MSRP (I had to fight pretty hard to get them to come down). I don't know if they'll still be the same or if the dealers will be a little more lax since the recall.

From what I can tell by looking at the dealer's website around the DC area. They're not discounting a lot off MSRP. A couple of hundred bucks tops. Fitzmall is giving the best price right now... Maybe pricing will get better in December.

Yeah, it'll probably be easier to put the screws to a salesman in Dec. since they'll be a little more anxioius for a sale before xmas.

The salesman I talked to today was very cool...he said he'd cut off about a grand from MSRP....either that, or he'd throw in the 7" overhead DVD entertainment system with the purchase...I'd be happy with either deal honestly (more so with the DVD offer)....I shall see if he holds true to that when I go in to buy.

Back