Oil Recommendation

KITES

Looking to change oil first time in my new 2005 Mazda6... want to change at 1K. The manual says 5W-20W oil w/no reference to synthetic. Any suggestions if Synthetic is worth the cost versus changing regular oil every 3.5K mi.

Use semi-synthetic 5w-20 motorcraft (about 1.40/qt at wallmart). Change every 4-5k depending on driving conditions.

Refer to the "A" and "B" maintnence schedule in back of Owners Manual if you wish to use the factory semisyn motorcraft and dealership changes.

mazda corporate has signalled thier dealers that 5w20 is not required. 5w30 or 10w30 oil can be used.

Thats interesting..unlike the 03-05 Full Service Manuals, the 06 manuals specifically require 5w-20 weight oil.

The 03-05 manuals just give a recommendation, where as the 06's state it specifically...except for the MPS 6, which requires 5w-30.

Technically most 5w-20's are basically 30 wt oils anyway for all needs and purposes, so it doesn't really matter which one you use, as their end viscosities are basically the same.

If your looking for results of various oils in the car, here's a comprehensive list of 6 UOA's.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=51

Captain KRM P5 said:
mazda corporate has signalled thier dealers that 5w20 is not required. 5w30 or 10w30 oil can be used.
And thats why they don't change my oil. Redline/Mobil 1 5W20 is all I put in my 6 and next oil change the other car gets the same oil.

i brought 6 bottles of mobile-1 synthetic 0w-20 to dealership, no question asked for my 04 wagon...my personal preference is fully (100%) synthetic and look for ACEA A3 on the label...

MS6 Oil Filters

Anyone know what oil filters the Speed6's use? Spin on or cartridge? I'm hoping for spin on's and in a good location for DIY oil changes.
(spin)
I've used Mobil-1 in all my cars for approx 20 years, changing at 5K intervals with great success.

(silverpro

Last edited:
SVOGT said:
Anyone know what oil filters the Speed6's use? Spin on or cartridge? I'm hoping for spin on's and in a good location for DIY oil changes.
(spin)
I've used Mobil-1 in all my cars for approx 20 years, changing at 5K intervals with great success.

(silverpro

cartridge. The new undercarriage shield they have on the MS6 has a few more attachment points. They also attached a sound dampening pad to it.

DIY Oil changes

BlkZoomZoom said:
cartridge. The new undercarriage shield they have on the MS6 has a few more attachment points. They also attached a sound dampening pad to it.
And its got the oil cooler assembly from the overseas engine.
So I assume you have to take the shield off to change the oil?
Any idea if there is a kit to change to spin on filters? Cartridges are a PITA... (shrug)

Thanks for all your help & insight..... I can't wait for my MS6 to arrive! (burnout)

If you converted to a spin-on, you'd lose the oil cooler and have to reroute the coolant lines.

If you do this, you had better add an auxilary sandwhich cooler with a built in thermo and a nice stacked plate cooler to handle the oil cooling.

Maybe I can use my Mobil 1 synthetic after all.

R

crossbow said:
If you converted to a spin-on, you'd lose the oil cooler and have to reroute the coolant lines.

If you do this, you had better add an auxilary sandwhich cooler with a built in thermo and a nice stacked plate cooler to handle the oil cooling.
OK.... thoughts of spin ons are gone. I'll get use to cartridges. (alright)
THANKS!!! (thumb)

yep it's not so bad other than the availibility and limited places to aquire. Least it's not a fram ;)

Oil Filter Cartridges: Purolator L15505 - Fram CH9641

Da 6 said:
yep it's not so bad other than the availibility and limited places to aquire. Least it's not a fram ;)
Looks like Fram & Purolator make a filters for the Speed6 (if it's the same as the Mazda3 2.3L). The Fram P/N is CH9641 and the Purolator is L15505, I just hope their availability is good. As you can see in the following post, it looks like it's a bit of a pain to replace, at least the first time, anyway.
Edit:
This is also the same filter as the Ford Escape Hybrid (Tribute too) and Purolator makes a Pure-One version, PL15505 which equates to Motorcraft FL-2017B (Purolator supplies Ford and the OEM filter is the Pure-One)

2.3L Oil Change Info

I'll probably change @500 & 1000 miles using Mobil Semi-Synthetic Blend and then at 3000 & 5000 & every 5K there after with Mobil-1 & Purolator oil filters.
I plan on having the oil analyzed at some point too, probably @ the 5K & 10K changes.
I can't wait for this puppy to show up! (deadhorse

Last edited:
Sounds like a waste of oil to me. Why not buy a Mazda filter?

Oil

BlkZoomZoom said:
Sounds like a waste of oil to me. Why not buy a Mazda filter?
I heard they are very expensive......
I get real good discounts at Ford & can get the Motorcraft branded Pure-One at cost.
I may skip the 500 mile change but definetly do it by 1K.

Back