Stubby roof antenna

:
2006 Mazda5 Touring
To me it looked kinda cheezy so I traded-out that three foot long roof antenna today. Had to run a few errands around town so I used the opportunity to compare three shorter lengths. All were solid metal and anodized black and BTW we never listen to AM radio stations.

2.5" - looks the coolest of all but reception breaks up when driving thru some residential areas. (Probably will be even worse in the city.)

7.0" - great reception around strip malls and residental areas. (Probably will be best for those living in congested areas with tall bulding).

5.0" - looks cool and also great reception everywhere I went. IMO, best compromise of the bunch, I'm sticking with this one (thumb)

WhitewaterPearl said:
To me it looked kinda cheezy so I traded-out that three foot long roof antenna today. Had to run a few errands around town so I used the opportunity to compare three shorter lengths. All were solid metal and anodized black and BTW we never listen to AM radio stations.

2.5" - looks the coolest of all but reception breaks up when driving thru some residential areas. (Probably will be even worse in the city.)

7.0" - great reception around strip malls and residental areas. (Probably will be best for those living in congested areas with tall bulding).

5.0" - looks cool and also great reception everywhere I went. IMO, best compromise of the bunch, I'm sticking with this one (thumb)

I just dremelled mine off, I still get reception, not that I listen to the radio anyway.

I wonder where the Sirius satellite antenna is going to be? I guess it's dealer installed, which means there will be a wire exposed... (boom07) not cool

for everyone still looking for a short antenna, i want to point your attention to this site:

http://www.carccessory.com/product.asp?key=Stubby_Short_Antenna_

The plain black one, 2.55 inches is on this site for 5.99 plus 5 shipping. The reception is 3 out of 5, and at that price I'll take it. I dont listen to the radio all that much, and at 10.99 shipped I think it is a great deal. I used paypal beacuse I am not familiar with the site, but if you still want a stubby antenna you should check out that site, they have other type of stubbys as well!!!

I have the I-Series from that site and radio reception is good for close strong stations, so so for far away stations.

The CX-7 antenna is supposed to be excellent and it's only 7" or so.

I bought a new antenna the other day because I saw a picture on here of the size of the original and I know for a fact it's not going to fit under my car port, that things huge (shocked)

Kid Red said:
I have the I-Series from that site and radio reception is good for close strong stations, so so for far away stations.

The CX-7 antenna is supposed to be excellent and it's only 7" or so.

I just got one. It's $12 from the dealership's parts department and I have not noticed any degradation in reception. Looks pretty good too.

Wuster - have any pics of the CX7 antenna installed on your 5? - or anyone else for that matter? I totally agree - the OEM one is way too big - makes it look like a oversized kid's remote control car - would really like to see pics of other options *that have decent reception* - CX7, stubby, (functional) sharkfin...
Thanks.

nocturne1 said:

Yup, mine looks just like it, except it's a very very dirty whitewater pearl... Got caught in a unexpected snow squall on the DC beltway yesterday and the car is filthy...

So far, I've not noticed any issues with reception. It may actually work better than the original. I was driving in MD and can easily pull in a radio station (to listen to the Daytona 500) from Fredericksburg, VA (about 60 miles away)

Back