What exactly did they do?

perfecto

:
2006 Mazda 5 GT
Well, on my manual 5 they :

- replaced the silencer
- added a heat shield
- did a programming change on the PCM

I'm not sure what #3 means, but #1 means that the engine now sounds "louder" at higher RPM's... at least to my ear. Anyone else found the same?

I've been surprised to read several references around the 'net to a new manifold (I assume exhaust manifold). Anyone have evidence for or against this?

perfecto said:
Well, on my manual 5 they :

- replaced the silencer
- added a heat shield
- did a programming change on the PCM

I'm not sure what #3 means, but #1 means that the engine now sounds "louder" at higher RPM's... at least to my ear.

Perfecto, might this be the reason for your changed sound level?

Last edited:
perfecto said:
#1 means that the engine now sounds "louder" at higher RPM's... at least to my ear.

Maybe a deliberately-placed aural reminder that the RPMs are getting too high? I really hope the "fix" doesn't make the noise significantly louder, because the quietness of the Mazda5 is one of the many reasons that I bought it. How high are the "higher RPMs" that you're talking about? Is it noticable at 2000-4000 RPMs?

Last edited:
smaria said:
Maybe a deliberately-placed aural reminder that the RPMs are getting too high? I really hope the "fix" doesn't make the noise significantly louder, because the quietness of the Mazda5 is one of the many reasons that I bought it. How high are the "higher RPMs" that you're talking about? Is it noticable at 2000-4000 RPMs?
Ditto.
When I first got the loaner 6 that was the first thing I noticed. I thought to myself, damn this car is loud as hell.
I like the serenity of the 5...I want it back!!

The tird one means that if you are in second gear and come to a stop, the car will automatically downshift into first. This only applies to Auto cars, and means nothing really to your 5.

As far as I know, they did not change the manifold, as the problem stemmed from too much heat at the rear of the exhaust (due to idiots with Autos cruising around in second all the time) melting the gas tank. They added the heatsheild to combat that as well.

There is definitely reference made on the work order to replacement of the "silencer". I certainly think it sounds a bit louder than it did previously.

My wife just called me and she agrees, it sounds "throatier" than it did before. (her words)

Last edited:
Pretzellogic said:
The tird one means that if you are in second gear and come to a stop, the car will automatically downshift into first. This only applies to Auto cars, and means nothing really to your 5.
I'm not sure about the 5, but my loaner 6 already does that.

It would make since that it sounds different. The silencer is just that, a pre-silencer in the exhaust installed prior to the muffler. A different part most definatly will sound different. The fact is you don't want the old part because it was found to be part of why the fires occured, or else they wouldn't be replacing it. I'll see what I think when I get it back but its been so long I doubt I will be able to tell a difference.

Back