Can the middle seats be removed?

Heat

Haven't bought one (yet), though I've been to the dealer to check it out.

Had some questions:

Can the middle seats (or just one of them) be removed? I know they aren't meant to be taken out, but is it just a matter of a few bolts?

Other than that, I'm a little concerned with all of the problems people seem to be having - or maybe it's just that people with problems with their cars tend to migrate to forums to see what can be done.

Also, I know it's a little early, but any word on what the '07s will bring? (I'm patient, and the car it would be replacing, a '93 Volvo 940 turbo wagon, is still running great) I've read about the diesel version in europe, any word on that coming here?

Last edited:
I don't know how difficult they are to remove, but they can be made to be flat. You can make both second and third row flat for loading a lot of stuff.

As for problems, really, from what I can tell most of us here don't really have serious problems with the Mazda5. Most of us are dealing with the silly recall right now, but if you read the Recall #1 thread in the main 5 forum, you'll see that it's not that serious, although the recall is annoying of course.

I can't recall a lot of problems reported, really. Some people would like stronger AC, but others like me never had a problem with that, and I think the consensus if that tinting the windows helps with that considerably (my 5 was bought with tint added by dealer, so I never had a non-tinted vehicle to compare on that).

You're right about the nature of forums though. Those who do have a problem or concern will seek out forums like this to get more info. And while some of us hang out here and are pretty happy, I'm sure there are others who have no issues with their vehicle and simply never bother to join a community like this.

The middle seats "should" remove with 4 bolts each, though I haven't really looked at how they are bolted down much at work. I can check today, though I estimate that it's a matter of popping off the plastic floor pieces and bolts should be under them.

Remove the middle seats and you'd have a good size hauler!

MazKid said:
The middle seats "should" remove with 4 bolts each, though I haven't really looked at how they are bolted down much at work. I can check today, though I estimate that it's a matter of popping off the plastic floor pieces and bolts should be under them.

Remove the middle seats and you'd have a good size hauler!

Middle seat can be remove as stated; entire assy looks kinda heavy.
Height clearance with seat removed is 41"
Height clearance with seat folder is 30"
Rear liftgate height clearance is 34"

Back