BEGI TURBO UPDATE (CONTINUED)

COMPONENT DESCRIPTION:
Note: the description may change if development so indicates.
Cast ductile iron exhaust manifold, machined for gasketless seal.
Either the Garrett T28 or the T03 will be selected, pending calculation. Water jacketed center section.
Integral wastegate
Air/Air intercooler
Anti-surge ( bypass ) valve
K&N air filter
Necessary fuel control equipment
Boost gauge and vac formed cup
All cold side components powder coated with wrinkle black
Turbine outlet tube of stainless steel

Warranty:
One year on everything manufactured by BEGI. Other components carry warranty by their manufacturer. All manufacturers are entitled to inspect failed component prior to isuing a judgement on warranty claims.

Why the turbo and not the supercharger ?
The turbo is the only form of forced induction that does not rob between 8 and 10% of the crankshaft power to create the boost and flow desired. The turbo robs approximately 2%, the remainder of its driving energy comes from the heat in the exhaust gases. The turbo is considerably more durable than any known supercharger.The turbo will reach peak boost faster than the roots and reach its objective(7psi)before the centrifugal supercharger can make any boost what so ever. Turbo chargers and centrifugal compressors create less heat in the intake charge per psi of boost than any other mechanism. Economy is less affected by the turbo than any super charger. The turbo is the only quiet forced induction mechanism. Upgrades can be accomplished far easier and cheaper with the turbo than with any supercharger.

Deposits:
Each deposit must be $200 either credit card or check. No cash. When $5000 is reached we will begin the developement process. A refund of the $200 will be made at the depositor's request. A credit card is preferred, as the owner may charge back at anytime prior to the construction of his particular system. All deposits will be held aside until the full $5000 is received and a prototype car is secured. Only at that time will the deposits be placed in our business account and the developement begun.

Deliveries will start approx. 5 months after start of developement. Deliveries will be in the order that the deposits were received. 3 to 4 kits can be shipped per week. The depositors position in line will determine the shipping sequence. 25 deposits can take 6 to 10 weeks to fill from the time of the first shipment.

For history on BEGI, go to www.bellengineering.com

Cordially,
Corky Bell
Owner of BEGI

so it should take us about 7-8 months to get a GOOD turbo system completed..that sounds good to me...and for 3 grand, not including installation...thats not too bad either...

count me in...where do i send the check?

p.s. we should get a copy of his book on turbos for free

well, it actually sounds good to me, and 2750 for a turbo kit!!!! thats the real price we would be paying!!!! COUNT ME IN.

I know some ppl would be very skeptical (sp?) with this, but for what i have researched, this is still the best peep to develope a turbo for a car in the USA... so we would have a turbo developed by the best guy!

ps. Also remember Mazda choosed one of his turbo kits for the souped up miata @ sema!!!

one question...what about exhaust piping and muffler...i know piping will have to go and replaced with 3",...but can we still keep the muffler?

what about the muffler tip? if anything id like to keep the stock look of the car....keep it somewhat sleeper

another thing...seeing as how the protege es engines are the same as ours....and the engine bay is the same...it would be a good idea to post this to the protegetech.com forum...seeing as how theres massive members over there too....thats if we cant get $5000 saved up ourselves

i wish i would think of all the stuff to post BEFORE i posted...here we go

what about engine internals? would the stock tranny be able to handle 210hp? i know we'll probably have to upgrade the clutch and flywheel

well, what im sure we would need:
CLUTCH, and CATBACK EXHAUST (turbo oriented)
dunno about the flywheel.

man, u r forgetting the main market out there.... the p5s are our best bet for this thing

I think it's great that they will make something. But I still have problems with giving them money up-front to make it. They should be able to absorb the development costs, particularly when there is a huge market out there. Not just MP3, or Protege 5. The 2001 Protege ES/LX, all 2002 Proteges.

But, at the same time I can see where he is coming from, "the deposits help show there is a market out there."

But, I thought that's why companies did market research? IMO

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone wants to tie the Protege 5 and MP3 together when the ES has more in common with the MP3 than the Pro 5 does. Anyone want to help on that one?

the pro, pro5 and mp3 are all the same car basically...except the mp3 has a retuned ecu + suspension, and the pro5 has a diff body and diff exhaust piping...otherwise......same car

As per exhaust. YOu'd just need a 2.5 inch exhaust. Optimum size for pressurizing the turbo. Any bigger would actually reduce performance.

Read my post "180 HP in 2 Weeks" for info on clutch and flywheel. My advice would be to just get custom exhaust from the downpipe back. You can get a muffler for ~$200, a high flow cat for ~$100, and the piping can be done for ~$200-$500 depending on the area and shop and mandrel vs. crush bent.

If the kit doesn't include it, I would get a fuel pressure regulator ($30-$100), inline fuel pump (~$120), and we could use some cam gears. Also gauge pos and some gauges like boost and air/fuel would be nice.

The P5 actually has a different rear suspension also. The MP3 and the ES are alot more in common that the P5.

I happen to be interested in the turbo setup but I'm going to wait it out alittle bit to see how it goes with you guys first.

Mr Bell is one of the best in the business from other turbo people I talk to and I am hoping these numbers are close to spec on the end result.

Mike

to ChrisS:
park the 5 and 3 and look at them from the front. still can't see the similarities?

Besides the obviuos bumper, and most of the motor, the P5 is physically shorter (by about four inches) and, as mentioned up above, has a slightly different rear suspension.

I'll stick to my claim that the MP3 is closer to the ES than the Protege 5...

My appologies, -The website for Bell is indeed www.bellengineering.net

P.S. In case anyone is at all interested in a catback system for their MP3, I just had a FLOWMASTER with a 2.5 inch pipe and 4 inch tip put on my MP3. It has made a WORLD of difference in acceleration!!!!!!! If you want performance and sound- this system is BAD-ASS !

is that a catback from flowmaster or did u modify some other catback? where did you get it from? is it loud or deep?

Back