Chicago tires?

Gyre

:
2002 P5
It looks like I'll be moving to Chicago. It's not definite but it's looking good.

I was thinking about getting some 17" rims and tires eventually but that was before thinking about Chicago. Now I'm wondering if I should get all-season tires for my 16" rims and run on them all year round or if I should still get some 17" rims for summer and all-seson tires on my 16" rims for winter or snow tires on 15" stealies?

It didn't look like there was too much snow on the roads downtown. I don't think I'll be running my car as much in the city as I do now. What's everybody doing up there?

I would personally go for seperate rims and tires. They will last a lot longer if you just put winter rims on to beat up. Plus it looks like you drive 2 different cars that way!!

Chicago is a place where you need snow season tires.I have arctic alpins on both of my cars and would have it no other way!
when its bad its bad and I consider the tires cheep insureance!
If you move here feel free to pm me .:D

All Season tires are just a bad compromise. They're OK in the dry, and OK in the snow. If you have the means to get two different sets, go for it, you won't regret it! I've had snow/winter tires in the Chicago area for the past 3 winters and have not regretted it once.

It's always a little sad when I put on the winter tires, because it obviously takes away from the handling. Every time it snows though I pat myself on the back.

Chicago winters are very inconsistent. Some winters it hardly snows at all, other winters it seems like it never stops. Like someone said above, it's cheap insurance.

FYI: This year I got Michelin Pilot Alpin's, which are a performance winter tire, and was extremely impressed in how well they handled in the dry, and the snow. The dry-handling penalty was much less than I expected. The Michelin Pilot Alpin's are the equivalent to Bridgestone's Blizzak LM-22. My sister has the LM-22's on her RSX Type-S and loves them also.

Anyway, hope this helps. If you end up coming to Chicago, welcome! I'm sure you'll love it.

Back