BEGI TURBO UPDATE (11/27/01)

I would like to let everyone know that a TURBO kit is finally all but upon us. I have been speaking to Mr. Corky Bell of BELL ENGINEERING, for about 10 days now. Mr. Bell wrote the book on turbos and has over 30 yrs. experience on the subject. He created the turbo for the Mazda Miata, that gave him much recognition. We ,together, have come up with some basic guidelines that will have to be met, in order to get this turbo kit into production. These are his guidelines and are "straight from the horses mouth":

"Dear MP3 owner. (me, kflyfshr7)
I would be delighted to build and supply a turbo system for your Mazda MP3. The program outlined in the following paragraphs would permit us to do so in a timely manner. The matter of deposits is the only way we have of insuring a market exists worthy of investment. Please note, the program is arranged such that one can back out of the purchase without penalty. I personally assure you that every effort will be made to provide a modern, well crafted and safe system that will be a delight to use every day.
We need one prototype car for approx. 90 to 120 days(Kflyfshr7 car) The entire prototype system, complete and installed, will cost owner $2,000. The deposit required is $1,000 and balance due on delivery. Ideally, we would like to do 2 installs prior to shipping assemblies. The second system for proof of part list and instructions will cost $2950 complete installed. The second installation will require approx. 2 weeks and will not be charged a labor fee. Our typical installation fee is $1000.
Purhcase price for the system will be guaranteed at $2950 for all those with deposits on record. Thereafter the price may change. All deposits are credited to the purhcase price, leaving a balance of $2750. No tax out of Texas shipping. We must have $5000 in deposits prior to beginning the developement program. Total costs are estimated between 12 and $15,000. We will absorb the difference.
System notes:
All emissions equiptment maintained in place and functional;the system will not be certified by the CARB, but will be of a configuration that could be certified at a later date;the system will pass the emissions test of any state or city provided the vehicle would do so prior to installation.;turbo durability typically 150,000 miles;engine durability with turbo typically stock mileage less 20%
Performance:
Estimated power:210 bhp engine, at 7psi boost. Note this is approx. equivalent to providing 3rd gear stock acceleration when under boost in 5th gear. Estimated fuel economy;hwy stock In city less 3mpg. Octane requirement 92,93 is preferred.
Boost estimate vs rpm at full throttle:
1500rpm: 2-3 psi or 20% torque gain
2000rpm: 4-5 psi or 30% torque gain
2700 to redline:7 psi or 45% torque gain
NOTE: To estimate acceleration performance,divide the weight by the estimated power output and compare to other cars listed in popular magazines. For example;if weight is 2804lbs(car and driver magazine)and power of 210bhp,then:
pounds per horsepower= 2804/210=13.3
Compare this to:
New v6Altima at 14lbs/hp and 0 to 60 of 7.3sec
Saab latest at 14.8lbs/hp
Honda Accord V6 at 16.6
BMW M Coupe at 10.0

( SEE CONTINUED FOR REST OF INFORMATION)

Back