Really a recall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckpimp71

:
1991 Taurus SHO, 2003 Black Mazdaspeed Protege
Supposedly a memo was sent out by Mazda that all this fuss about overheating exhaust on the 5 was over a couple of people that didn't know their head from a hole in the wall. Apparently in two of the incidents the fires have been linked to people driving around in Manual Mode with the tranmission stuck in 2nd gear. Not sure how true this is, but I can see how driving around for 30 minutes at 6000rpms can cause heat issues in the cats.

Brian MP5T said:
Manual Mode should Have a dumb Mode that shift-up in that case..

Yes, if Mazda was Toyota they would probably do that. But Mazda builds carss for people who can think on their own :). I see it as no different from those idiots who thought cruise control also steers a car.

Also what's the point of a manual mode that shifts up? Wouldn't that be an automatic?

That said I believe that one of the fixes for this issue is a reprogram of the ECU. Which probably means they add in a timeout that will upshift for people who "forget to upshift"

I mean a manual mode like on the smart car that if you hold 6000 RPM for 2 Seconds It will shift..

You need to read the long "Recall #1" thread at the top of this forum. I'm locking this, and a few other redundant threads that duplicated info from the Recall #1 thread, in order to keep all the Recall info in one thread.

(I also cut out some of the noise from the main Recall thread so it should be a bit easier to read now.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back