check engine light!

My check engine light came on yesterday. I thought it might be due to low fuel, but after I filled up it stayed on. The only other thing I can think of is I washed the car in the 24 degree weather. The oil is full, gas is full. Any ideas, Or am I headed to the dealership sometime this week?

Also make sure your gas cap if tight. If it isn't. then tighten it, drive around a day or so. If nothing is wrong, it will go off.

had that happen to me w/ the gas cap thing..... if not then most likely the air filter idea should be good....

good luck

thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I had heard the gas cap one before but it sounded weird that it would take a couple of days for the light to go off. I'll check the cap again and the air filter although the car only has 2100 miles on it. Thanks again.

It takes a couple of days because the computer will only reset the light if the problem that cause the CEL does not occur again after a certain amount of times you start your car.

The CEL will not turn off as soon as the problem disappears.

my CEL came on after installing my intake and exhaust. I figured it was cause by said mods, but it turned out to be the catylist falling out of my catylitic converter. Mazda replaced the cat and the CEL went away.

Back