TURBO MANIFOLD

spoolinmp3

Contributor
Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum just regitered 5 mins. ago found your link on a miata forum.
Well I just sold my turbo miata not to long ago and purchased an mp3, love the thing but I must say its a dog. I am intersted in getting a cast manifold for the car does any one no where I can get one? Any other mazda engines fit same manifold? I can easily get a custom tubular manifold made down here like the one i made for the miata but I want a log cast style manifold because of cracking. Theres a guy down here in miami I think thomas knight that does turbo probes and mx6 maybe I will pay him a visit. Does anyone know if the JDM mp3 (famalia) comes turbo and does there manifold fit our engines?
I also spoke to corksport and the told me that they will have a turbo manifold available sometime next year but I cant wait!
I already have pretty much everything to comprise the kit
enginemanegement (lINK)
injectors
bov HKS
intercooler HKS

so all I need is the manifold get the turbo and make intercooler piping.
Thanks for any input
Terry

Terry,

I don't own a MP3 but I do have a J-SPEC 2.0L 175hp FS-ZE engine in my '00 ES. Its pretty much the same thing as your engine. I know that the J-SPEC MP3 does not have a turbo. It has a Mazdaspeed header on it. When i swapped my motor I had to use my stock manifold. I think the J-SPEC ones connect a little differently under the car. I could be wrong. I know that in order to put the Mazdaspeed header on to the US car you need to do some mods to it. That is why me and some other ppl haven't forked over the $739.00 for it. I think that the only option is to wait for one to be made or make a custom one. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Well. I did some research on the subject and here's what I found out.

I went over to knight turbos and saw his manifold. I am not trying to knock it or anything but it looked very poor in quality.

I found out that turbonetics makes manifolds for the FS series engines and they fit our cars!!
I dont know if any of you guys have any experience in forced induction but that is the hardest thing of a turbo system to fabricate. Therefore if you decide to go the custom route
You need
MANIFOLD $500
TURBO T25 OR T3 $550
INTERCOOLER $400
I/C PIPING $300/$400
OIL RET/FEEDLINE$50
BOOSTGAUGE $50
DOWNPIPE $50
INJECTOR DRIVER $350
INJECTOR $100
BLOW OFF VALVE $200

OR STANDALONE ENGINE MANAGMENT THAT HAS FULL CONTROL OVER FUEL, TIMING AND BOOST $1100-2000
REMEMBER CANT USE A FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR FOR OUR CARS NORETURN FUEL LINE THE FPR IS IN THE GAS TANK AND OH I FORGOT FUEL PUMP BOUT 100 TO 150 BEANS
THAT GIVES YOU A TOTAL PRICE OF=$2650 AND BOUT 3500 TO 4 GRAND FOR A TURBO WITH FULL ENGINE MANAGMENT CAPABILITIES. YOU MOST LIKELY WONT GET ANY THING LIKE THAT IN A KIT AND THESE PRICES ARE FOR TOP NOTCH PRODUCTS, GIVE OR TAKE A FEW DOLLARS.
ONLY THING IS IF YOU HAVE A SHOP OR FABRICATER THAT CAN MAKE THE PIPING FOR YOU. I MAY HAVE FORGOT SOME MISC PARTS BUT THATS THE BULK OF IT

You forgot the wastegate hehe. Unless you get a turbo woth an internal one. Will the manifold be for an external wastegate?

Hello again guys,
The turbo manifold does not incorporate an external wastegate but the turbo's from garrett I think mostly come with internal wastegates. As for the blowoffvalve. Its used to vent pressure back into the atmosphere. Lets say your hard on the gas and the turbo is filling the the i/c pipes and intake manifold with pressurized air/ once u get off the gas and the flapper from the throttle body closes shut, that pressurized air has no where to go but back to the turbo. This can destroy the turbo and slow it down. Basically a BOV is placed as close as possibe to the throttlebody so when that baby slams shut instead of it goin back to the turbo in vents off into the atmosphere and makes a cool pssssht sound it also helps the turbo keep spooled up so u dont get lag between shifts.

I called Turbonetics today and they said they only had a manifold for the 2.0 626, and it was external wastegate T3 flange. The guy didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about though. Could you get like a part number or something spoolin?

The 626 I-4 is almost the same engine we have. i looked at a friend's 626 that lives around me and they look almost exactly alike. So maybe that turbo would work, But why get that one when Mazda might be producing one that will fit perfectly? Oh well atleast i have my ZEX :D hehe

I dont have a part nuber for the manifold but the gentleman I spoke to the other day said that the 626(fs series) manifold works, the exhaust flange is exactly the same. He stated that the manifold is for an internal wastegate turbo, I will call again tommorrow and get the exact part number and specs.

OK thanks alot bro. If it looks like it might work I may go the custom route. I have been tinkering with my turbo kit on my Integra. I am pretty mechanically competent, so I think I can do a custom set up. Think a good T3/T4 with a front mount intercooler and upgraded fuel pump running the turbo at 5psi should get me to 180+ @ the wheels.

Ok here's the skinny on the manifold from turbonetics. I contacted them today and they stated that yes it would fit our application and that it has a flange for an external wastegate and its fits a t3 garrett turbo. Which is pretty comprable in size with a 16g. The Honda guys use t3/4 hybrids which are a little bigger but they have a larger power band. If you wish not to use an external wastegate you can cap off the flange with a metal plate and use the internal wastegate on the turbo. List price is 560 beans but I am sure that I can get it for bout 450-500 beans. I am placing an order tommorow with a friend of mine that sells turbo chargers(he is a turbonetics dealer) So I will be getting the manifold and turbo. One step closer to boost!

Hey NC-MP3 I think you should get 180whp at 5lbs without a problem I wll be running about 10psi hopefully I am shooting for about 220 to 230whp. And then Ill try crankin up to about 12psi. Hopefully it wont blow! I am curious on the internall strength of our motors. I know miata's can boost about 16psi after that the conrods buckle.

For a second I thought he was quoting someone. Then I looked at the post date. I remember this one too actually. Crazy how different things are now

Back