MP3 Turbo from Mazda - due end of next year

M

<Mp3PO>

Hey guys...just dropped by the dealership the other day and was chatting with the techies in the service dept. Apparently there are plans to release a Turbo edition of the MP3 due by the end of next year. The bad thing? Well, we already have our cars...but at least that means that hopefully before then someone will get of their asses and develop a legit turbo kit for the MP3. He didn't mention HP or how many were being made, tho.

On an aside, did any of you MP3 owners in SoCal get a chance to see the MP5 Prototype? The dealer that I went to had it for a short time in their showroom. All custom reworking, repainted in a cherry-orange, and had a turbo dropped in it. Anyhow, they took it out, but the techie said they brought it over to Mazda Corporate over in Santa Ana/Irvine for display. Sweet car, tho.

Anyhow, just thought you guys might want to know. Oh, and I talked to Racing Beat since they're just right down the street from me, and unfortunately, no plans for a turbo kit for a long time. They said I'd be better off checking with HKS or Greddy...bah.

Is that true about a 2002 mp3 everyone i talked to said we are the only mp3's

Paul
philly, pa

He could be confused with the next in line for the MPS (Mazda Performance Series). I saw a pic of the prototype 626 turbo due out next year... Forgot where I saw it... Maybe on www.clubsi.com!

DooMer_MP3

Dealers are full of s***. Before I got my MP3 I had one dealer tell me they came in red, blue, black, and yellow. Then one dealer told me that yellow one will not be out till next year, he swore up and down on that too. Most dealers I have met don't really know s*** about the cars they are selling hehe. Test drove a 2001 Celica GTS before I got my Eclipse and the dealer didn't know what the VVTI-L meant hehe, I had to explain variable valve timing to him.

The odd thing about the MP3's is that I have heard the terms 2001/2002 MP3's used interchangibly, but my MP3 is definately a 2001 model. At the Anaheim Car Show, despite all the new stuff coming out, the MP3 was not present...

As far as the Turbo edition goes, I don't know how much credibility he has, but he was the head of the service department and he seemed very much in the know. He said it's still hush-hush, but they're in development. And it's not the 626 - I've seen those pics and I know what you're talking about (renamed the Mazda 6).

Anyhow, I believe the guy. I spent about an hour and a half talking to him about modding cars and performance parts. He told me a few of the cars that were being discontinued and the ones being remodeled. I believe the Miata was one that was going under remodeling for the rotary. When I talked to the sales people, all of them said there was no turbo in development and ours were the only MP3's out there. But then again, I'm much less likely to believe sales than techie...sales BS too much just to get you to buy the crap they have onhand (not what's coming out).

But like I said, just passing along what I heard.

Originally posted by Mp3PO:
<STRONG>BTW, check out pics of this MP3/Protoge. I guess this is one of the teams he works with from time to time...
http://www.mazdadesign.net/ESP/Protege/ballistic.htm

ok question for you is this really an MP3? i say no. reason look at the headlights it has the headlights off of a 99-00 not off of the 01's which i think look much better. i think it is a 99-00 protege with a MP3 wing on the back.

:) crazy...</STRONG>

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: slammin mp3 ]

I gotta go with SlamminMP3 on this one.....the headlights are the old model....plus, if you check the pic of the back end, you can see where they painted over the "Protege" tag.....no MP3 badge here gang, just the original 99-00 model... :rolleyes:

PLUS...

There's a factory-looking sunroof(which our MP3s sadly lack)...
and the tailights do not look the same as the 2001's...

re: a 2002 turbo-version
I say they are BS-ing; apparently Mazda lost money on the MP3 project, so why would they bother?

MPS is supposed to be taking one model per year & customizing it. I heard that the next model will be the minivan, but there is a sweet Miata roadster at http://www.mazda.co.jp/motorshow/english/concept/index.html , so who knows for sure...

I read the article with that orange protege, yes, justa regular protege. It said it came from the factory black and only has a 1.8(w/mods).. read fellas.. read..

Back