Window Tinting and Polyshield on the M5

rockett

I'm wondering what people are paying for tinting their windows in the Mazda 5. The only local place here in my town is using 3M. The quote I got was about $150-180. Are there any other tinting products that should be considered?

And did anyone's car come with polyshield already applied. My Mazda 5 came with this and I really didn't know what it was. After a rain I can really see a difference in that it didn't leave a lot of dirty marks on my car. The water seemed to dry right off. I spoke with my sales man and from what I understand he said that there are two benefits to polyshield. The first being that the windshield has a protective coating that keeps it from getting those dreaded windshield cracks. Also, I won't need to wax this car for a a number of months. Is there any validity to any of this.

As far as tinting is concerend, I'd say that's a good deal. I was told when I got mine tinted [for $185] that they should have charged me more. I got a 4 door car rate, but should have been charged the van rate. Most of the other places I checked wanted $195-$235. So $150 sounds pretty good.
As far as the quality of 3M film...I don't really know, but I would assume that 3M would be pretty good. Big name, big reputation.
My film is a "premium" offshoot of Solar Gard.

The poly thing you're talking about, I have no idea. Is it like a wax?

Oh, welcome to the boards.

When I got the quote I didn't have the M5 with me so once they actually see it the price could be a bit higher. Of course I can try to hold the guy to it. He didn't even know what the M5 looked like. The M5 is loaded with little windows which I can imagine probably takes a bit more time to put on.

What density shade are people using for the back windows compared to the front driver/passenger windows? I know you can go darker in the back, but there are laws to how dark the front ones can be. Does it look better to have the same shade on all windows, or is it ok to have a mixture, style wise?

As for the poly, the salesman cut short from saying its a wax and more like a product resembling RainX. The windshields beed when it rains and with the wind you barely need the windshield wipers on. I also noticed that when they were applying the product, it got on some of the plastic trim, not much but some, and the salesman said to use petroleum jelly to take it off. Any chemists out there that know what would remove the polyshield with petroleum jelly might be able to tell me more about what it might be.

Speaking of windshield wipers; I found that the wipers on the M5 were a bit weird as to how the drivers side has such a long blade and the passenger side is about half that size. It will take time getting used to as you have this monster blade going over your face and then this tiny one sort of rushes in on you at the last minute. Anyways, not much of a complaint but rather an observation. It will take time getting used too. To bad I can't get used to it since mine is at the shop as well. (argh)

Thanks for the welcome, its a cool site that i've been visiting for a while and I thought i should speak up.

Tint:
When I got quotes over the phone I got pretty much the same response as you "What's a Mazda5? Is that a wagon? Stuff like that. lol When I got my back the tint guy was bitching about the little windows on the fron door and the stationary glass on the sliders...I guess the gasket gets in the way(?)
I had them do 20% on the hatch and 35% on ALL the side glass. I wanted a more uniform look. In retrospect I would have went with a non-reflective type of tint. My tint has an ever so slight metallic/silvery sheen to it and it makes the tiny windows...rearmost side windows...stand out because those windows are much shorter than all the rest.
But in the end I'm happy with it.

Poly:
Still have no idea (uhm)
Somebody else will have to fill you in on that stuff.

Wipers:
They have been doing that for quite a few years now. It has to do with the windshields being much larger now. Since they are raked back at such a steep angle, they use two different sides blades to cover more area. Sounds odd, but it works.

And don't be such a (lurk) us Mazda5 people don't bite (hard)

Thanks Saint for the tips on the Tinting.

I think i've answered my own question about PolyShield. Here is something I found on this website:

http://www.herbgordonsubaru.net/PolyShield.aspx

...And I quote

Super Polyshield Protection

Interior & Exterior Protection

Today's high-tech factory applied paint finishes have a shiny top layer of paint called a "Clear Coat." Constant exposure to environmental elements can threaten the shine of your vehicle, you need to protect it on a regular basis.

The Super Polyshield Professional Paint Sealant creates a transparent layer of polymeric coating that bonds to protect and seal out the elements, producing a deep-gloss shine. The world class Super Polyshield shine is only available and professionally applied at authorized auto dealerships.

Inside, where you spend your time, your vehicle's carpeting,vinyl trim, & leather seats are vulnerable to permanent staining& spotting from spills, pets, road salts, & muddy shoes. These surfaces will fade and wear down from the sun's U.V. rays and extreme interior temperatures.

Paint Protection:
Guarantees Against Acid Rain*
Eliminates Waxing
Guarantees Against Fading
Guarantees Against Loss of Gloss

Fabric/Carpet Protector:
Protects from Stains
Prevents Fading and Discoloration

Vinyl/Leather Protector:
Increases Durability
Remains Soft and Supple
Penetrates and Seals Pores

...end Quote.

Cool stuff huh. Now I wonder if they applied this in the interior of the car. hmmmm. (dunno)

cheapmiata1600 said:
Sounds like its just an expensive wax, and it won't do anything to protect your windshield from cracks.

Yeah save yourself the exhorbitant price the dealership will charge you and get Zaino wax (www.zainostore.com). I picked it up for my black Mazda 3 and love it. Waxed it back in May and the car still holds a shine.

Back