Cams/Warranty

freekwonder

Contributor
:
Datsun 510/Nissan Frontier
i talked to the service manager today at my Mazda dealership. he said if i had them install the Mazda motorsport cams, that it WOULD NOT void my warranty. i know they will rape me on install charges but i think its worth it to keep my warranty. now i just need 300 bucks

you might want to talk to your dealer since they are Mazda OEM parts you guys should get the same service

CAMSHAFT, INTAKE none 626, PROTEGE 2.0 FS, 1.8 FS 1998-01, 1999-01 $167.10
Notes: Used in place of stock intake cam, this intake cam from the Japanese Sport 20 will add 12 hp to your FS engine. Not smog legal

CAM, EXHAUST PROTEGE 1.8 & 2.0 DOHC 1999-01 $136.90 Notes: Higher performace cam from Japanese market MP3. Additional horsepower numbers not yet known. Use in conjuction with FS9H-12-420 intake cam which adds approximately 12hp. NOT SMOG LEGAL

Dealer time to install cams is 5.5 hours. So depending what dealers charge for service ($65/hr?) you would multiply it by 5.5 :)

he said he was going to check with the techs, why would it take 5.5 hours to do a set of cams.

It wouldn't take them 5.5 hrs to put them in. But all mechanics go by a manual that states how long the job should take, and all mechanics charge the full rate wether they take that long or not. Yeah, it's a rip off but all mechs do it because thats the way it's done. Always been that way. It would actually only take them maybe 1.5 to 2 hrs to do it. :mad:

I hate that pricing s***. That is why it is so nice to learn how to work on your car yourself. I had my friend change my brakes and it cost me $35. At a brakes shop that same job would cost just under $100. My friend also did this job in about 45 min. So the shop is charging $65 for labor. Labor charges suck but I still don't trust myself to put in cams. Cams will add good power and if it won't void the warrantee, it would be something to really consider.

i can do cams myself, theyre not that hard, but the dealership has to install them to keep my warranty, im going to talk to the dealership later on it somemore

Dealership will tell you 5.5 hours, I called them and asked cause I ordered the cams too. Alot of other performance shops go by the same times and all, so be prepared for over $300 to put them in, getting mine done for $250 :)

If the isn't talking out of his arse make sure you get what he said in writing. Just so you can protecet yourself. And if your labor is only $65 an hour, I consider that a deal, here in Cali, the average here is $80-$85 an hour. :mad:

when i owned my VW Golf i was going to lower it but i didnt want to pay 6 hours of labor to have the stealership put them in and so i asked them why cant i get them put in by another shop and they said there isnt any warranty problem with having a certified shop doing it. i am going to use a shop that does dsm talons and stuff like that. i was told the guy was doing 3 engine swaps and they also have a dyno. so when i get the cams and have them installed ill get my car dynoed.
i also read something in here that we need to get stiffer valve springs when we put the cams in. is that true?

Hey initialRES, I'll be in Dallas soon. My brother-in-law is a mechanic at the saturn dealer and he said he'd help me put in the cams when I get them. I'm pretty good with engines but have never really worked on imports. But after I help him do mine I should be able to help you with yours. I'm not sure when this will be, but it will probably be within the next 3 months. I can't wait to put those cams in. If I get the coop job with the engineering firm there that I want it will deffinately be sooner than that. ;)

That would be cool. I won't be getting cams for a while though. This summer I am going to do a LS/VTEC swap. (That is putting a GSR head on a LS block.) I was going to do internal work then. But that is a long time away. Take step by step pictures as you do this. I'd like to see the inside of one of those MP3 engines.

Man.... 80-85$ US your telling me you pay for labor in CAL ???!! :mad: here in Montreal , Canada it's about 65$ CAN...so that means 40$ US..... :D you guys in north usa should pass the border ;)
So llonng Suckazzzz! :eek: :eek:

@Freek:
Where are you ordering the cams from... Corksport? Do they have both Intake and Exhaust from Mazdaspeed? Sorry for all the questions, just planning on doing same and I have the cash now to do it. MUST GET MORE POWER!!!! :cool:

coolhand - not quite sure yet, i just found out about this yesterday so i havnt really looked in to it. i think im going to call mazdamotorsports and corksport tomorrow and check on them.

Freek,
Thanks... be sure to post what's up. I think through MazdaMotorSports you have to be part of the sponsored program, and it says under the conditions that the parts cannot be for your street car, only race car. I think Corksport would be the better, less hassle option. Thanks again.

You shouldn't need stiffer vavle springs to swap out the cams. From what I've been told the stock spirngs will work just fine.

As for the Mazda Motorsports issue, you can order "competetion" parts from them. You cannot not order regular "stock" parts from them unless you are a part of the program. In order to join the program you send in two race results a yaer and you can get "stock" parts (except A/C parts and body parts) at a discounted price.

Corksport is a little cheaper for the FS-ZE intake cam,I think, and they have the Mazdaspeed exhaust cam. I'm not sure what the exhaust cam on Mazda Motorsports is from, there is no Japanese MP3 that I know of. They might be talking about the Sport 20.

I forgot, any hsop that is certifed to do Mazda warranty work can put in parts and it won't void your warranty. Some private shops won't charge as much as the dealership when it comes to labor. And if it means getting your business on a regular basis, they might even hook you up with stuff.

A shop I took my RX-7 to all the time helped me out a lot when it came to getting parts and stuff. And they were reasonable when it came to labor. I also got my car in and out fast even with out making an appointment. Much better than the Mazda dealership.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: ChrisS ]

WHY DOES NO ONE READ MY POSTS!!! hehe

If you read my post titled "180 in 2 weeks" you will see that Corksport DOES NOT have the Mazdaspeed exhaust cam. It just shipped from Japan and will be in stock in about a month. FS-ZA intake cam is from the FS-ZE Japanese engine and adds ~10 whp, Mazdaspeed exhaust cam in from the Jap. Sport 20, HP not known, but the sport 20 has like 180 HP.

Sorry NC_MP3, I meant to say Corksports has the Mazdaspeed exhaust cam on their site.

And I know where the cams come from, the question was about the exhaust cam on Mazda Motorsports web-site. It says the cam is from the J-spec MP3...What ever that means?

Back