Has anyone installed an Apexi S-AFC???

mazdamp3_18

:
06 gti, 06 evo IX
I might be getting one for a pretty good deal. and i was wondering if anyone has installed one in their MP3 or Protege 5.
Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the MP3? i need one if i am even going to attempt to install it in my car.
thank you for any help...

good luck instaling it it's gone be hell hehe, post the install ok, taks some pix , and post the wiring diagram ok hehe

Shouldn't be too bad hehe. Gonna call around and search the net for wiring diagram. If not I will just break out the multimeter and try to find the wires by voltage hehe.

apexi usa has a diagram on their website but im not sure if it is our exact car i think its the J-spec protege. i have a shop lined up that will probably be able to install it and the intake cams im going to get. and they also have a DYNO!!! does mazda sell Factory Manuals for things like that? or is there something out there like the bentley manuals?

Yeah, I am going to get on the dyno to tune it, usually takes about an hour to tune with an AFC, $100 an hour too :(

i might wait to get the s-afc tuned until i get my cam. im probably going to get it soon. i heard that the power gains on the s-afc are around 5-10 hp so with cams i should gain about 20-25 hp right???

AFC can differ with cars. Seen Import Tuner install one and get ~3 whp, and then I have seen it give ~6 whp on another car. Guess it depends on the dyno operator and tuner and all too hehe. Intake cam should give 10 whp, so expect ~15 whp with the 2.

Yup, one step ahead you guys.... :D I spoke to APEXi about a month ago when I first brought the use of the S-AFC :p. There "currently" is now map for our Protege's. We also need to know what voltage our sensor operates at, "it has to 5-volts". If not it could lead to some serious problems. I'll explain why if you want to know. If were lucky, the miata (which they do have a map for) uses the same sensor as we do. If so, we can just use the maps they have programmed in the S-AFC for the Miata on our MP3 and tune on a Dyno from there to get the proper settings. :rolleyes: I hope we use the same one or it's experimentation time.

Grrr....

You gonna try and say AFC won't give ya 6 whp? I have SEEN it. Import Tuner. Forgot what car, I have seen anywhere from 3-6 whp on the AFC. And the cam, that comes from Ben @ Corksport.

do i have to get the cam re ground? or it is already set up to just bolt in right away? i am kinda weary on installing it my self. i need someone who knows what to do to help me or do it for me. does the s-afc show on the fly stuff? in other words what cool features does it have?

The cam from Corksport is ready to bolt right in. It is the FS-ZE Intake cam. Read my post "180 HP in 2 Weeks" for price. Hmm, lemme dig up the link for the AFC, It does show on the fly stuff. Sec....

man im retarded i totally forgot my friend has an s-afc installed in his subaru.i have to yet ride in the thing though. he just installed a turbo. its probably the most bad ass legasy ive ever seen.

You shouldn't have to get the cam reground, there is one from Mazda Motorsport that does require some work though. I'm saying outrageous because no one has dyno'd any parts on the MP3. if they have please post links to them so we can all see. I'm also saying don't expect too much from it, especially for an NA car. Here are some examples. Supra non-turbo 4.6hp 3.9tq, WRX 2.7hp .4tq. those are just 2 examples. Please show me the 6hp and what car is was on. Then call APEXi ask, like I already did.

im probably not going to even consider buying a turbo but i might buy a supercharger if one will be available. if not im just going to keep it NA. but its hard making a kick ass car that has a lot of aftermarket stuff on it better. im just thinking of making it closest to the J-spec engine as i can. which if im right its just pistons and the cam right?

WHAT UP CHRIS!!
Anyway, IIRC, the problem with the manifold pressure is that you need to know the atmosphereic pressure for it to be accurate. It wouldn't be fun measureing that. Installing them is kind of a pain. The J-spec diagrams (for Subaru at leased) are useless. The shape's weren't even the same. Luckly I found a complete wireing diagram. I think there are 8-10 wires you gotta hook up. Where are the MP3 ECU's located? Mine's on the passenger floorboard so it was backbreaking.
The throttle position was the most interesting for me. It was a lot lower then I thought. ie only ~8% for cruse at 50mph.

ok no more random babble

Back