Who wants HIDs pt II (56K? Go cook a turkey)

the_saint

50% borikn
:
OG Mazda5
Well, I did it folks, I ripped the front end off!!
In order to do what I felt was a proper installation of my HID kit I pulled the headlamps and bumper cover off.
For the removal (and installation), I used the GIFs provided by LazyFox and javadoc (couple of HELPFUL guys from another forum) Thanks guys!! Linky

After you get the bumper cover loose, you need to unplug the fog lights other wise you'll end out ripping them out like I almost did :shock:

Well, after I got the bumper cover off it looked something like this.

The bolt in the wheelwell that attaches the fender to the bumper cover is phillips/8 mm as are the bolt/screws across the bottom lip.

All bolts for the headlamp assembly use 10 mm bolts. The bolt closest to the inside on the bottom of the assy. is the only one that needs to be removed (of the 3 down there).

And this is the only bolt to remove out of this cluster. It's 10 mm also (I think....I forgot to note that one :? ...yeah, it looks like a 10)

Now that you've got the headlamps unbolted (and unplugged!), you can toss them in the pile with the other junk like this.

aaannnndddd ddennnn.....it will look like this.

This was how I had the ballasts installed originally.
pass. side

driver's side

Turns out, those are about the only places to fit the ballasts. If anybody comes up with something better let me know.
With the bumper cover and lights out, I was able to get the ballasts in a little farther in and better secured.
pass. side

driver side

Last edited:
When I first installed the HID bulbs (headlamps still installed on the car) I couldn't get the plastic adapters to work so I used the foam rings that came with the bulb as spacers.
You can see the ring on the floor in this picture, it is not needed. Whit the headlamp out it's easier to get the adapter and bulb lined up so you can hook the latch.

Close up of latch closed with the adapter installed. The adapter actually is square on the top, but I broke the corners off thinking there was something wrong with the adapter. That was during the first install.

The rubber boot actually fits snugly around the adapter like so.

I took the rubber grommet here....

and slid it up against the adapter snugly...maybe it'll help keep crap from entering through the plug :?

For the install on the drivers side I mounted the ballast ontop of [what I think is] part of the intake.

I mounted the ballast this way (with the wires facing toward the passanger side) because it seems like the most effective use of the wiring. I wrapped the lead to the ignitor around the lip on the box to take up some of the slack. I had to drill a hole so I could run a ziptie to hold the cable in place.
Here's the hole I drilled

And here it is with the wire ziptied.

The passenger side was a bit easier. The ballast is mounted to the washer fluid reservoir.

I stuck the ballasts on with double sided tape...extra strenght of course. The ignitors are mounted with heavy duty velco and ginormous zipties.
I put convoluted wrap/covers over the wires where they made contact with anything or were close to any sharp edges that might rub through the jacket.

Well, I think that is all. I have a few more pictures but don't think they are neccesary. If you have any questions ask away.

Guys, the_Sain is the Man. I went through my installation this week and the_saint helped me out at all stages. The installation of the kit itself is rather simple and quick, what normally takes the most time is figuring out where to put the hardware and how to run the cables. But the part that took me the longest and probably shouldnt have was the actual switch of the bulb. If you just change the bulb the way it says in the manual (without taking anything out other than the rubber ring) and unclip the latch (if you are lucky to unclip it quick) you will see that it is a pain in the ass to clip it back. It is very likely that it was me being useless while doing this, but the latch was a royal pain in my ass, i actually ended up bending one out of shape and then having to somewhat restore it to its original shape (all this while only having a few inches of access to the bulb in an akward position). Besides this, the installation was simple; i will post pictures later on today on where i put my ballast and igniter.

Silver-P5 said:
Are the low beams H7?

I did alot of reading on that other thread, but am still unclear as to one thing. With the installation of the P7's on the Mazda 5, will there still be high beams? Since I don't have the car yet, I can't tell if there are seperate bulbs for low/hi. (sick)

Yes, H7 are low beam only bulbs. The 5 has seperate bulbs for high and low beams.

Last edited:
case sensitive said:
Anyone notice that it looks like a big intercooler would fit in there? the_Saint, is there room?
...3 months later...
I thought the same thing when I was looking at it. But I didn't look to see what kind of space I had back there. And it's been long enough that I don't remember what kind of room was back there anyways. But at any rate, I'm sure that with a little creativity one could fit an IC up there.
Any idea how much HP the trans can hold??? (boom07) lol

Santo: What did you do about the fogs? Any ideas on where to put the extra ballasts and igniters? Have you figured out how to make the fogs turn on with the parking lights?
I'm about to order the HID's and want to do it all at once, you know.

JAVI said:
Santo: What did you do about the fogs? Any ideas on where to put the extra ballasts and igniters? Have you figured out how to make the fogs turn on with the parking lights?
I'm about to order the HID's and want to do it all at once, you know.
The only thing I have done with the fogs is put yellow bulbs in there.
When you say "extra ballast & ignitors" are you talking about another set of ballasts/ignitors for the fogs? If so, I don't know where to put them...I was kinda taxed for space with the ballasts & ignitors for the headlights.
As for making the fogs independent, that is not something I have looked into. But if you troll around on some of the mazda3 forums you will probably find some info.

I just ordered 2 HID kits, not the ones you have because I wanted something with an internal igniter. Your writeup will be a great aid, but the links to the bumper and headlight removal don't work anymore. Any tips? Oh, by the way, I did figure out the Independent Foglight Mod for the 5. Pics and tips will be up soon.

Dima Rus,

I remember in another thread, you said that removing the bumper was a 15 minutes job... Would you have a quick tutorial on how to do it? I would appreciate it.

P.S. The Saint posted a "linky" on top of this thread, but it doesn't seems to work...

Thanks.

Hey, Thanks for the info! Wow... This guy rocks! I don't have the guts to start baking my lights... But the results are very nice!

You don't really need to remove the bumper to install the HID headlight...

I used 3M Heavy Duty indoor/outdoor double sided tape. I have them for almost 2 years, still holding very strong.

Passenger:
IMG_2429.JPG

Driver:
IMG_2431.JPG

Last edited:
Back