Wheel hop and smooth shifting

enry

Administrator
It would be nice if one of the really tech people could write an in depth article on how to drive properly. Like, how to prevent wheel hop and improper burns, how to power shift, etc...

I don't know how to power shift but I can explain double-clutching for those who don't know what this is or how to do it properly. Double-clutching started out as a way for drag racers to make sure they didn't miss a shift or grind the gears. A second reason for doube-clutching was to keep the transmission revs as close to the engine revs as possible to insure that the loss of power was minimal. It's also a handy way to get those gear-locks in 1st and 2nd to open. To double-clutch correctly you must do the following:
1. Depress the Clutch to disengage the gear.
2. Shift to neutral and re-engage the clutch while still in neutral.
3. Depress the clutch a second time and shift into the desired gear.
This process should take less than a second when you get used to it. Good Luck.

Power shifting,...from what I understand,... is this. Instead of letting off the gas between shifts, keep the pedal at full throttle and shift very quickly to the next gear. You have to practice this to become quick. The benefits are the extra rpm when the pressure plate grabs and no lagging between gears. If you do it right, in the MP3, when you shift to second the tires should chirp a little. Try it out and I'll guarrantee you'll enjoy it. ;)

All I get is ground gears :(
So maybe someone should practice this in a freinds car first? hehe

As far as I know (or thought) I thought power shifting was this:

Instead of using the clutch between gear shifts, just shift without it. It will actually go in gear, but you have to be very careful...there's a very small time frame per gear that you can actually pull it off. But you won't lose power. Note: you can't DOWNSHIFT with this method.

Power Shifting is like Ben said. You keep the gas pinned and shift as fast as possible. The down side is if you don't get to the next gear in time you run the risk of over revving the engine.

I would not reccommend shifting without the clutch. The car can be pulled out of gear with out the clutch but putting it into gear is not good for the car.

Tim

I drive a Big Truck for a living. It has 6 gears and I can shift it without using the clutch, it just depends on your RPM's. I can also Downshift if I am at the right RPM's, you have to push on the gas to raise the RPM's and then feel for the shifter to fall into gear.
Now I have tried this in my MP3, but the car seems to grind way too much. You can do it if you get the RPM's just right and then pull out of gear and then push the shifter up into the next gear(keeping pressure on it)and let it "fall" into gear.
But even with the experience that I have doing this day in and day out, I have still not been able to master my MP3. So I have stopped trying, because I am affraid of damaging something.
As for the forcing your gears...I would not suggest it, but that is just my 2cents.

BTW...Does anyone care to rate me? I mean it don't really matter I guess, just feel left out. :(

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: MP3-Owner ]

I hooked you up with some stars man. I also felt naked without them. I know what you are talking about with the not using the clutch. You have to press the stick up against the gear and feel for the gear. Then at the right rpm it will just slip in. But this is hard if not impossible to do when you are quickly accelerating.

I agree with Ben on Power shifting, it is when you keep the gas matted and you shift gears. Best to do this between 1st and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th for obvious reasons, so you just have to pull it straight back. Also to be proficient at this don't put the clutch in all the way, if you put the clutch in only 1/3 of the way this will allow you to power shift without lag, and further prevent you from revving the snot out of the engine.

Shifting with out a clutch is entirely possible, but I think it is an extremely bad idea.

All though they do say "Grinding the gears makes them slide in better." (This is not true)

Ok, Ok, I see what you guys are saying now...You are saying to "Speed Shift" you keep on the gas, step on the clutch, and then pull the shifter back into gear. I thought you were saying without the clutch.
As for the "Clutchless Shift", it is done easly in my worn out 6 speed in my Coke Truck. Probably because it is so worn out. I have tried this in my MP3, but it grinds the gears if you are just a fraction off of the right RPM range.
I might try that "Speed Shift" thing one of these days. :D Thanks for all of your info.

Powershifting isn't the best way to do things. It'll raise your trap speed but also raise your et. It keeps your revs up which is good(and what gives you the trap speed), but it also takes your car longer to recover from the shift and catch up to itself (that raises your et). That's justed something I picked up before I got into road racing.

yes it would harm the clutch as much as normal day driving would .However the pressure plate wouldnt since its design is to last longer than the disc.Ill write up an article to explain the whole power shift thing and the problems that can acure aswell as the best rpm's to try to shift at. :p

If I were you, I wouldn't powershift. That can kill an engine quickly. Just use the clutch normally and shift smoothly. I found myself rushing from gear to gear and grinding alot. That is slow. When you grind, your times are worse because that grinding is losing power. Remember, smooth is fast.
As for the double clutching deal, that is an old technique. It isn't really used these days because the sychronizers are pretty good about keeping up. Double clutching is just slower now.
The rev-matching technique is very nice to learn. It is so cool and no one expects how smooth it is. I don't know how well it works in MP3s but in my integra, if i am crusing at about 45 or so in fourth gear, put it in neutral and rev it up to about 4700-4900 RPMs then put it in third, I get a PERFECTLY smooth acceleration. No rocking, or jolting. The car just sucks you into the seat. Rev Matching requires you to know your car VERY well. It also preserves your transmission because you are doing all the work. I don't really know how to describe in words how to do this, you kinda have to learn on your own. If you get good enough, you can use it to slow down like the professional drivers which can save your brakes. DAMN DRIVING IS FUN! You learn something new everyday.

The previous explaination of double clutching seem's to take too long! Try this

While excellerating in second gear abi\out half way up the RPM to redline shove the clutch all the way to the floor without tting off the clutch! let your RPM's rise about 1500 to 2000 RPM's higher and pop the clutch back out! It should push you into what feel's like 2nd and a half gear, or over drive... Now I don't reccommend this while auto crossing or during any cornering because your car will push hard(front end away from the turn)

For Auto cross or road race finesse is the key!!!!

I also don't reccommend doing any of that clutch popping all of the time it is bad for your clutch tranny and engine!

And as for wheel hop, I only get it when accelerating too hard in turns due to the angles of the CV joints. Straight line burnouts are pretty beefy if done right but that is a learning experience and should be practiced. I also have wheels that are 6.4lbs lighter each!

what he just explained isnt double clutching...i dont know what it is...but i DO know that its pretty bad for the clutch and tranny

double clutching goes like this

in 4th...rpms at about 3000
clutch in, shift to neutral
blip gas to about 4-4500
shift to 3rd...smooth shift
takes awhile to practice

pretty useful, in conjunction with hard braking into a corner, you can learn toe-heel, which can get you a burst of speed out of a corner

toe-heel is by far the most fun of the two

as for smooth shifting...i have my timing to the point where i pull the gear out w/o the clutch and into the gear putting the clutch in about 1/4th in...almost like tapping the clutch...its REALLY quick

al

Back