Forged Pistons????

Considering that a turbo shop offered to forge my pisons...I'd guess that we didn't.

I'm not sure if any exist, I wouldn't be suprised if their aren't any. But for a street driven turbo applications, the stock forged pistons should be fine. Another good idea would be to ceramic coat the piston tops. It'll help battle the heat that created at high revs. An efficient intercooler will definately help remove some of the heat.

With forged pistons, we'll have to pay close attention as to what material is used in the piston, how much clearance the have from the cylinder walls, ring land areas. It's mind boggling isn't it.

Like I said in my other post...just in case y'all didn't see, the stock MP3 pistons are CAST not FORGED. That kinda sux...and the Mazdaspeed sets available right now are cast as well....until someone comes out with some forged ones, you'll have to get them custom done... :(

DJ:

Yes, the pistons in the FS-ZE motor are cast as well. The stock 2.0 liter pistons are cast, and the Mazdaspeed pistons are cast.

Rats! Lets hope someone produces some Forged pistons soon eh? I have some N2O on the way. :D

Originally posted by MP3-Owner:
<STRONG>Rats! Lets hope someone produces some Forged pistons soon eh? I have some N2O on the way. :D</STRONG>
What kind of a shot do you plan on running. Judging from the Zex in your profile, I'm guessing the 55 to 75 range. You will not need forged pistons for such low gains. Once, you go above 80 or so, you will want to be a little careful.

If you want them just to be able to say "I have forged pistons," by all means, go for it, but there simply isn't a need until high boost levels are reached.

Originally posted by APEXistud:
<STRONG>.... the stock forged pistons should be fine.</STRONG>
There is also no way you guys have forged pistons stock!!

Sorry, but I just read this post again.

I don't plan on going over a 50shot.
It would be nice to have forged pistons like the SE-R's but oh well.
I hear that we do have a forged crank though. :)

Back