TMPS in Mazda 5

Antonio DiMarco

Contributor
:
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin Gray
I posted a question regarding TMPS, and whether anyone knew if it was available on the Mazda 5, a couple of weeks back. Well none of the 5's stickers show it as optional or standard equipment. Then I noticed the valve stems on a Touring 5 with Nav. They were the same valve caps my 3 (which has TMPS) has. A quick twist of the key and and I saw the TMPS indicator light-up! (wow)

It looks like TMPS is a unadvertised feature on the Mazda 5's with Nav; which makes sense since that is how my 3 was equipped. But unlike my 3 TMPS is not mentioned anywhere on the sticker or Mazda Website. So the $2000 dollar price for Navi also includes TMPS!

A very pleasant surprised for US buyers!

Yeah, I discovered my 5 has TPMS as well (I too have a Touring w/Navi)

What kind of problems will this pose when getting aftermarket wheels??

noob question but what is TPMS? tire pressure monitoring system? just guessing from the aftermarket wheel comment.

the_saint said:
What kind of problems will this pose when getting aftermarket wheels??

Does not seem to be a big deal if you have to replace the TMPS unit. The owners manuals lays out the procedure for your car to recognize a replacement TMPS sensor.

Also, word is... when you purchase a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack they will install replacement sensors prior to mount/balancing your new tires. When UPS delivers all you have to do is mount 'em and go thru the recoginition sequence.

Last edited:
Can I bring back this old thread, please? Where is the TPMS control unit and display? Is it in the nav screen? I guess I'm really wondering whether you can simply add the sensors to a Touring w/o the nav option and have TPMS. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sorry, I don't think that's possible. The TPMS sensors and senders are in the valve stems. I believe that there's a receiver in the right rear fender area behind a panel somewhere there at the back. I can only assume that the wiring harness is present and ready with a connector or splice, but I dunno. You'd definitely have to add that receiver (control unit) in addition to the four senders.

Anyone else have better info or (boom07) details?

Back