Annoyances with the 6 already...

J dragon

Banned
:
04 Mazda 6i
1.)on the highway at high speeds..I get some Sulfur, undescribable smell.....WTF is that?

2.)My gear shifter(I have an ATX) is Hot as hell WTF is this?!!!! (pullup)

3.)felt my Tranny jump slightly....and my brakes squeaking as well

Anybody have any kind of answers....

The sulfur smell will probably go away on your next tank of gas from a different station, everything else should warranty.

you say the shifter is hot? i know that when i have my lights on the panel with PRND gets hot because of the lights in it heating it up.

your tranny will sometimes feel like you just been tapped from behind

just about everyone's brakes squeak, i'm sure you will notice that you will have to clean your front rims every couple days from the brake dust too.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, my brakes squeaked a little bit for the first week or two I had the car.. that's new pads for you. your atx issue isn't unusual.. it is a tad jumpy. (yay mtx). the sulfur smell isn't unusual.. like he said, it'll go away with the next tank of gas. if not they'll just replace your cabin filter.. that's about it.

Yep 1st and 2nd gear slams int each other. this is common on both the 6i and 6s. I even test drove the altima v6 to confirm they too have the exact problem. Mazda calls this "Shift Shock Issue". They reflash the car with uptated software and it should cure the problem. Personaly can't confirm this works due tho the fact no dealer in my area was "willing to" reflash my car...

Shifter being hot is most likely due to bulbs as prior stated. do you leave your lights on durring day time driving as well as night? that may be the issue.

Brake squeal is from pads comming in contact with rotors. To re-enact the problem on test drive with dealer brake while turing hard left or right from speeds at or slightly below 10 mph foreward or 2 to 8 in reverse hard left. Beware of the dealership temp fix. Proper fix was revised pads temp fix was shaving edges which lasts you a good 2 months if your are lucky till the problems reoccurs.

Wow...Not 1 Problem with our 6i except I had to change the wipers..(The stock ones chattered) and the fuse box cover won't stay on. (yes)

Between myself and other local 6ers we seen it all from pistons shattering the block to dropping atx trannys. Problems listed in the original users post are extremely minor :)

Yea..I think we bought the 6i back in March..it's a 5 speed...no REAL problems to speak of . 5100 Miles so far. :)

Da 6 said:
Between myself and other local 6ers we seen it all from pistons shattering the block to dropping atx trannys. Problems listed in the original users post are extremely minor :)

Shattered Piston??? WTF, From abuse or Defect..

Pistons shattering the block in stock (engine wise) configuration... that was my 10K maitnence checkup. Rare 03 piston recall. My 03 is now at 7300mi again.

How about that plastic cover on top of the engine? Somehow I feel that the plastic cover does not let the engine breathe properly. Like if it captures the heat instead of releasing it and replacing it with cool air. Is this true?

Brian MP5T said:
Shattered Piston??? WTF, From abuse or Defect..

You can always take it off. The 6i cover isn't screwed on. It just snaps on. Just pull on the corners and it'll pop off.

Back