Exhaust question

mp3girly

:
2001 Mazda MP3 #719
If anybody's changed the exhaust, how does it make it sound? I heard that some 4cyl.. when ya put a better exhaust on 'em, they just sound weird >_< I want my MP3 to have a nice growl to it.. yeah..

-is just jealous of the vtec civic's sound

No one made one yet, so we dont know, you can get a coztumo one done, it be louder, i got one and it sounds nice :D

I have a custom cat-back with an stainless steel exhaust and the growl is nice... not a cheesy growl like some civics have... but it is kinda loud... but u can get one with a silencer but that defeats the purpose i guess ... :p

hey, DuCKieMP3, what size piping did you use? i've been looking around and am thinking either 2 and 1/4 or 2 and 1/2. what does everybody recomend? :confused:

I'd say 2 1/4 because we have a small engine. Piping that's too thick may actually slow down flow, hence the loss of torque.

If you're planning to go turbo in the future though, that's a different story...go thick! :)

Frenchie... I used 2 1/4 " piping because thats the recommended size...MP3Ben is right... too thick slows down the air flow... Thick piping is only good for turbo engines...

HEY Mp3cHikn
did you make that emblem with ur mp3 number on it or what?...that is really cool
somebody should make them for our cars...actual emblems....

the nefarious one

Originally posted by DuCKieMP3:
<STRONG>Frenchie... I used 2 1/4 " piping because thats the recommended size...MP3Ben is right... too thick slows down the air flow... Thick piping is only good for turbo engines...</STRONG>

thanx for the info guys. much appreciated

French :)

MazdaMP:
The stock MP3 exhaust is 2" from the cat all the way through the muffler.

The Racing Beat cat-back is supposed to be about 60mm (or is it 80mm?? It is 2 3/8" or so) and I don't know how big the Bosal cat back is.

2 1/4 would be as much as you would want to go with your engines guys. Thickness is not the right term to use either when speaking of exhaust sizing. Not to be a nitpicker, but its piping diameter. Thickness of the piping would imply having to do with heat properties.

The 2 1/4 piping is adequate to give good back pressure, which is what will keep you from having loss of torque. Anything more and expect to lose a little down low. If you go turbo, then you can think about 2.5" piping because you want to let the turbo breathe as freely as possible.

The gains you guys will find from exhaust mods will only come after getting rid of that cat in your exhaust manifold though!! Good luck!!

Exhaust tech is a definate science...it requires just the right balance of restriction and flow...I remember this turbo tuner guy here in cali once told me you don't need to goto 3" exhaust unless your pushing 500-600+ hp...of course it depends on the application...not saying I agree but this is coming from a guy whoz been turboing for many years... :cool:

Back