Tranny

:
Blue, 01, MP3. -> Yellow, 03.5, MSP
Do you guys know if our protege has the same tranny as the Sport 20 does? I found this tranny is very annoying when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at high RPM, it just won't go in smoothly. I don't think that just me right? Any idea why?

i totally know what you're talking about. i just started noticing this problem tonight after i almost f'ed up from 1st to 2nd while racing an eclipse (GS i think). it almost cost me a win. :)

it feel kinda notchy like it doesn't want to shift and then it just locks in place.

anybody know if this is normal or if we should actually bring it in to the service shop?

I had that problem. Then my shifter fork broke. Now it feels alot better and I can shift way better after they repalced the new fork. the might have adjusted the synchros or something to...

Kind of like we are too fast for the synchros or something....

After they put the tranny with the new fork back in it was way stiffer but also way smoother and much more precise....

Jc

I had driven many standard cars, none of them has this problem. I also asked my salesman, he said the protg tranny isn't design for racing, so this is normal.
Double clutch will help to shift up smoothly, but it is useless when racing at high rpm.

By the way, while I’m running at around 7000rpm, there is some weird noise come out from my engine. I had done one oil change, and used 91 octanes, but it didn’t help. I know this is a very bad signal, and this could cause serious engine damage. Is that just me, or it happens to everyone? Maybe our car is only good to show, but no go.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

i didn't think they'd give our trannies an upgrade for what the MP3 retails at...which brings me to my next question.

Is upgrading the tranny really worth it? I know Level Ten (http://www.levelten.com/store/import/items/pts/ja113_2000_mazda.htm) has a mazda upgrade kit and i'm sure other companies make tranny upgrades too. It is pricey but if people are thinking about turbo i don't think it would be such a bad idea. I wouldn't mind settling for just smoother shifting.

for the time being i'm gonna hassle the mazda service shop into checkin out the problem. maybe i'll get lucky and they'll actually fix something.

redline is at 6500...so if you're redlining it...that could cause some damage...and be the cause of your sounds

Back