How well do you like your 6??

J dragon

Banned
:
04 Mazda 6i
Yeah I know it's a copy topic for many reasons...

one of them being, the volume here compared to the 3, and the protege forums are Poor. no one bothers to post about the 6....is it that inferior to the 3? I happen to like it

Here is my honest down to earth opinion. I have a 6s MTX with leather and ACC. I love absolutely everything about the car except for the rattles which I got used to and is not soo bad no more. Could be fixed with a bit of insolation I guess. The brakes are strong but think the front rotors should be bigger given the fact that the curbweight is 1540kg's. But for every day use they are more than fine. Other than that, I have taken exceptionally good care of my leather seats and after 1 year the leather still looks in amazing shape.

EDIT: fuel consumption is average. I have done 600 kilometers on a gas tank highway driving once in winter and the fuel light was not even on. I was rolling with 15" steelies, i think that might have helped.

One more thing, I find that the clutch is a tad on the heavy side.

Last edited:
Cool Mikey....I'm sure the positives outweigh the negative. When you talk about a heavy clutch, I wonder if they have any clutch modifications like the Protege's..stage 1, 2 etc. Still I feel the 6 representation isn't as good here as it should be.

welp, I see the main problem is that the 6 is targeting a shall we say, older audience. most of the forum dwellers are 18-24 and a protege is usually within their means and fits their modification desires.. The 6 on the other hand is what you graduate to after having a pro!! (2thumbs) It's rare to see a young enthusiastic 6 owner. Even so, we do our best here to try and recruit a lot of posters for the 6 section, sometimes it is just very difficult.

edit: mikey, clutch is heavy on the 6?? really? I've found it to be just right.. I find honda and audi/vw clutches to be on the (too) light side.

Honestly the reason the 6 population isn't represented here, is there are two major 6 ONLY forums that are on the web, with over 30,000 combined members...so this site is more of a secondary handout, stopby point, and doesn't really compete to dedicated only sites.

There are stage 1 through stage 5 clutches available, as well as lightened, findanza, and mazdaspeed flywheels.

Stock flywheel weight for the v6 6s is 25 lbs, lightened is 15, findanza is 8, unknown on the mazdaspeed, but I'm guessing 18-20.

And the Mazda3 has 3x the TSB/MRI's and has been out one year less...yet you don't see as many people trolling those forums.

Very happy with our 2005 6i. I would change one thing...the Plastic Fuse Box cover never stays on. Other than that, GREAT CAR!

I have the V6 btw when I say I find it a bit heavy I mean it's just a tiny small tad heavy, not even close to moderately heavy. Just my opinion.

I dont plan to do any modifications to the 6 since I have the RX-8 to toss around when I am in the mood and non the less I would still like to trade the 6 in for a autobox, but would prefer a base legacy.

truthfully...

*Love the car
*Hate the ATX

I'm not gonna list all the lil things that are wrong with it due to the fact it's not a $89K car. All cars are gonna have minor things that you may feel are major than they may be. I'm not saying it's a cheap car but on the same note remember how much you paid for it.

i'd have to say, i've only driven the MTX on the V6 and not the 4cyl....but i hate the stock MTX! though i know it can be swapped out for better pieces so can mine.

And like he said, look how much the car cost. though it aint cheap, i've totally gotten my money's worth, though i know some have had the misfortune of getting into crappy 6's out of the box. i think i lucked out with mine.

seanmcsean said:
sounds like someone has v6-itis (laugh)

well it's kinda bad when your garage queen gets better mileage than your daily driver, highly modded 98 camaro z28 that gets about 25-30 mpg...gotta love 6th gear.

6speed yes... (yippy)

4 and 5 speed....not really
(monkey2)

Damn makes me wish I woulda got an 05i if i was gonna get an Automatic >_<....oh well I needed a car asap

Back