Drove Mazda 5 @ the Zoom-Zoom Live - LONG Write-up

mazdafive

I drove the Mazda 5 @ the Zoom-Zoom Live then followed it up with a test drive at the dealer.

What I like:

Exterior: It looks like a big Toyota Matrix. It looks good the way it is but with 19s, 1 inch drop and would look much better.

Performance-engine: 157 HP 33 something hundred pounds on an automatic tranny, not enough power for me. It's not as responsive compared to 5 Speed manual tranny so it takes away the zoom-zoom feel.

Suspension: I'm pretty impressed on the current suspension setup. The car handles predictable on curves and rides pretty smooth on rough road.

Interior - Function with Fashion. The instrument cluster is layed out nicely. Center-dash is not designed for an after market car stereo. The front seats are adequate for an average Joe like me. Anyone bigger (6.0' 250 lbs), the seats wouldn't be as accommodating. Front Passenger seat is missing an armrest. According to the sales person, it was not include because it would get in the way with the center cup holder which I rather have an armrest vs. a cup holder. Middle row seats - well they are easy to get in and out of thanks to the sliding doors. They are comfortable and can be adjust to slide forward and back. The middle seats are missing outer armrest which is a downer for me. Third row seats, don't even try to seat back there unless you are a size comparable to a grade schooler... When folded flat, rear cargo room is addequate. When Middle row seats are folded, you can actually sleep in it.

What I do not like: Inner Armrest missing in the Front Seats, Outer armrest missing on the middle row seats.

DEALERS: I wish both sales person I spoke to knew more about the car than me. Oak Tree and Fremont Mazda, why mess around with the $1995 Dealer Markup?

Customization - I can see this car being customized by Car enthusiast Family man like me. Definitely 19 x 7.5 or wider wheels, lowered by 1 - 1.5 inch, tinted windows, Audio/DVD setup. Body kits are out in Japan and it's just a matter of time before immitation kits are available here in the US.

When I'm ready to buy one, I'm getting the touring with manual transmission. I think this is the best deal because for approx. $1500 you'll get the sunroof, 6 disk cd player, rear spoiler, upgraded climate controls, and many oher neat stuff. NO way would I pay 2k for Nav. 19 inch wheels and audio video will be installed immediately and that's it.

mazdafive said:
I drove the Mazda 5 @ the Zoom-Zoom Live then followed it up with a test drive at the dealer.

What I like:

Exterior: It looks like a big Toyota Matrix. It looks good the way it is but with 19s, 1 inch drop and would look much better.

Performance-engine: 157 HP 33 something hundred pounds on an automatic tranny, not enough power for me. It's not as responsive compared to 5 Speed manual tranny so it takes away the zoom-zoom feel.

Suspension: I'm pretty impressed on the current suspension setup. The car handles predictable on curves and rides pretty smooth on rough road.

Interior - Function with Fashion. The instrument cluster is layed out nicely. Center-dash is not designed for an after market car stereo. The front seats are adequate for an average Joe like me. Anyone bigger (6.0' 250 lbs), the seats wouldn't be as accommodating. Front Passenger seat is missing an armrest. According to the sales person, it was not include because it would get in the way with the center cup holder which I rather have an armrest vs. a cup holder. Middle row seats - well they are easy to get in and out of thanks to the sliding doors. They are comfortable and can be adjust to slide forward and back. The middle seats are missing outer armrest which is a downer for me. Third row seats, don't even try to seat back there unless you are a size comparable to a grade schooler... When folded flat, rear cargo room is addequate. When Middle row seats are folded, you can actually sleep in it.

What I do not like: Inner Armrest missing in the Front Seats, Outer armrest missing on the middle row seats.

DEALERS: I wish both sales person I spoke to knew more about the car than me. Oak Tree and Fremont Mazda, why mess around with the $1995 Dealer Markup?

Customization - I can see this car being customized by Car enthusiast Family man like me. Definitely 19 x 7.5 or wider wheels, lowered by 1 - 1.5 inch, tinted windows, Audio/DVD setup. Body kits are out in Japan and it's just a matter of time before immitation kits are available here in the US.

When I'm ready to buy one, I'm getting the touring with manual transmission. I think this is the best deal because for approx. $1500 you'll get the sunroof, 6 disk cd player, rear spoiler, upgraded climate controls, and many oher neat stuff. NO way would I pay 2k for Nav. 19 inch wheels and audio video will be installed immediately and that's it.

Nice, I think 18's should do just fine. The lack of power,19's, audio system is not a good combo if you want speed. But then again a Hi-Boost should do the trick :D.

I'm not going for the booming sound so weight would be under 50 lbs. for all components.

As for speed, I'm happy with the 5 speed but the automatic is just not responsive at all.

someone mentioned that the arm rest would get in the way of someone shifting. i sat in it and put my arm in around the same position and i think that my elbow will hit it once in while.

How was driving it at zoom-zoom live? Did you take it out on the track? Was it an automatic at the event?!!

miatafied said:
How was driving it at zoom-zoom live? Did you take it out on the track? Was it an automatic at the event?!!

You have a choice to take either Mazda 3, 5 or 6. The Mazda 5 I drove was a touring model and yes it's automatic.

we beat the piss out of that 5 at zoom zoom live, that thing has got the soul of a sports car cause i drove that b**** like it was stolen and i was very impresed!

Back