Who's gonna be first???

the_saint

50% borikn
:
OG Mazda5
Who's gonna drop their 5 first? I know there are no springs specifically for the 5 available stateside yet. But since the 5 is based on the 3 I would imagine the springs should work.
My fear is that the 3 springs might be too soft in the rear. Is this a legitimate reservation? Or are the 5 and the 3 close enough in weight and weight distribution that it won't matter?

the_saint said:
Who's gonna drop their 5 first? I know there are no springs specifically for the 5 available stateside yet. But since the 5 is based on the 3 I would imagine the springs should work.
My fear is that the 3 springs might be too soft in the rear. Is this a legitimate reservation? Or are the 5 and the 3 close enough in weight and weight distribution that it won't matter?

(uhm) (scratch) (huh)

LOL - The 5 dropped would be so SWEET - although, I'd be afraid to go too low simply due to the road conditions in the winter around here. I'm already freaked that I'm gonna scrape my 17" rims despite the fact that I'd like to see 18"s on there.

See, I'm just conflicted.

JCell said:
u can always cut teh stock springs (ricer)
Might as well torch 'em (yupnope) lol

I'll be nervous too about it being low and suffereing some grindage....but then again..."pain is temporary, glory lasts forever, and chicks dig scars." (stash)

Id say hold out until someone makes some springs...I would go trashing the stock ones....

RODSCALIP5 said:
I say fork out the cash and get some Autoexe ones :D
If I have to spend that much for springs, I might as well go all the way and buy coilovers. (headbang)
Especially if it's only a 1" drop.

Last edited:
the_saint said:
If I have to spend that much for springs, I might as well go all the way and buy coilovers. (headbang)
Especially if it's only a 1" drop.

I would not put coilovers on the 5, but that's just me. I don't think you will be seeing to many springs that drop it more than 1-1.5 in. I will probably be wrong though :D.

the_saint said:

I think 1.5 inch drop on the Mazda 5 is enough to close the fender gap on the stock 17" inch wheels. So if you go with 19"s 235x35x19s the diameter of the wheel will be bigger than the stock 17's .

Cut a coil or a coil and a half and let us know... (eekdance) (eekdance) this should drop it about an inch to an inch and a half.

mazdafive said:
Cut a coil or a coil and a half and let us know... (eekdance) (eekdance) this should drop it about an inch to an inch and a half.
There is no way in hell I'm cutting coils. I'd prefer to be able to return the car to stock if I wanted. Besides spring rates get jacked up and mis-matched when you cut coils. (bang)

I agree with you here, saint. I could see trying out aftermarket 3 lowering springs.

the_saint said:
There is no way in hell I'm cutting coils. I'd prefer to be able to return the car to stock if I wanted. Besides spring rates get jacked up and mis-matched when you cut coils. (bang)
I'm not saying you're wrong, but any aftermarket set of springs is going to have a different spring rate. You take 7 aftermarket brands, and you'll find 7 different combinations, none of which is necessarily matched to the damping provided by any stock or aftermarket struts/shocks. But I do agree, cutting springs will yield unpredictable results.

H&R in Europe has a suspension set up that lowers the 5 40mm...

Then there is the AutoEXE option. Don't try spirngs for the 3 because the rates are different and could give you adverse handling...

Back