down right cheep turbo system

Brian

Question?? have you taken the heat sheild off of the top of your 1st cat (catalitic converter). if you have you will have noticed the top of the manifold bolts right to it and also seperates right below it. I have a friend who works at a machine shop and we are going to make a adapter plate witch will bolt to the exaust maiford and then a turbo on the botom. Now if you have an extra $450 or $700 (depending on log or equil lenth manifold) dollars you can buy a new one from Tomas Knight Turbos, But cheep is my goal. We are going to use the turbo of a 98 Ford Probe GT. they are oil and water cooled and are compact in size. Oh that and another friend is selling me all of the stock parts off of his Drag Car. Well here is what I was thinking .. will let everybody know when we have the adapter ready .. if it works we will sell them .. we will probly only make them to fit the probe turbo ... i just dont know yet .. let me know what you guys think .. this project will be for low boost!! 10 PSI max... we dont need any trips to the dealer saying .. "I dont know it just blew up" ..lol

I've heard people have reliability problems with Thomas Kinght stuff, just so you know.

well i got my stock manifold off on friday and got the temorary hedder on the car. i will be giving my friend my manifold and the turbo for him to start his part .. we will se how it goes. not good at this point. he thinks he is the turbo GOD and wants me to make it for a T2T4 turbo. but hell if i had the $600.00 for the turbo..i would buy the hole damn kit. I dont know what has gotten into him. he knows i want to run low boost.. well this is my update..

Nice :D :p , Let me know how it goes with the main fold, and what other parts will there be needed exept for the mainfold part and the turbo ?

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: hukster00 ]

Turbo setups have to be done right...especially on a NA motor...I've heard horror stories from bad turbo kits melting pistons and blowin motors...I've talked about this topic with several tuners over the years...everyone has different experiences but the bottom line is...you can't boost very high at all on a stock NA motor...some say no higher than 6psi...safe level...not much extra hp but better than blowing or melting a motor...lol

The best is to build the motor for turbo...i know very expensive...that or get a factory turbo motor! (swap?)....just some ideas/comments... :cool:

I'd also hate to be the unlucky chap who has to be the first to do such a thing. Think of how many problems you can run into. 6PSI may be enough for the fun factor to increase for the MP3, but you won't be handing anyone their ass with only 6 psi. Also, who knows exactly how the ECU will react to boost. It may trigger a never ended CEL, not mix the fuel properly due to the higher intake temperatures. There are ton of questions that need to be answered before any small "I'm not sponsored" chap can do so. If there is gonna be a turbo kit for the MP3, it'll have to be

A. Done by a reputable shop with knowledge of making custom turbo kit...Like XS Engineering

B. Has to be reliable and daily drivable

C. It'll most likely be done by someone with a blank check, since making and designing the turbo will cost money. I'm thinking around $5-6k with everything you need to run the turbo safely. Safely meaning Head Gasket, Ignition System, Knock Sensors etc.

Of course, you can make your own custom turbo kit and it may be cheaper, but remember the less you spend the less reliable it may be. And just because some joe smo out there built a custom kit for $3k doesn't mean all the tuners can do the same as each of us has different goals.

@apexi
legitimate question, do you not recommend letting a performance store do a custom turbo upgrade?
thanX

No. not at all, I'm just hoping whoever does hand their car and keys to a shop, knows exactly what the shop will be doing. It's good to have some knowledge of what the pro and cons of turboing a car that is naturally aspirated are. I'd rather have a shop do it too, because if they break something, they'll have to fork out the cash to fix it. I'm just agreeing with what MazdaMP3.com said earlier...."Turbo setups have to be done right." Meaning you have to use the right sized turbo for the right sized motor, a good, strong, quality exhaust manifold (too support the weight of the turbo), proper fuel management (which is key). These questions shouldn't be too difficult to answer since most turbo'd cars are around 2.0 liters and specs are almost everywhere for all kinds of motors. I'm just looking out for peoples best interests and making sure people are 100% aware that's all. :D

i agree if i do this wrong its my motor thats going to pay the price ... all i know is i have limited funds so this is the only way i can to it .. i am not going to run hight boost.. and i dont plan on setting new track record at the drag strip and if any of you do ... you spent a lot of money on the wrong car.. this project is just starting hell i dont even know if it will work .. if it dosnt work i will tell you and you can tell me what a stupid idea it was. but if it works well i can add the 3rd Zoom sticker to my gound effects.. lol

Well, I didn't add a turbo to my car yet, but I have 2 minor mods with serious HP gains. I removed the dealers sticker AND license plate frame. Seeing how such mods have affected others in this forum, I'm estimating I got about +25 hp from just these. You wouldn't believe (nor would I) how much these have helped.
As for a real solution, nothing from Indy man. Good luck. I'm all stock until the warranty is up.
:cool:

dude do you think your a comedian or something. haha its all good though pretty s***. i give ya credit for the creativity factor.

Don't really consider myself a comedian, I just look at things a little different than everyone else. Been in a really weird mood today. Some people seem to be rather tense on here lately. Just trying to lighten the mood a little. Sorry if I'm steppin on any toes.
:cool:

Back