Mazda 6 Turbo

U-Turn

Contributor
:
Protege 2000
I have simple question.

I am looking for a new engine for my protege 2000, but I would like to know if any shop is making a Turbo for the Mazda 6 3.0L engine and an intercooler.

Thanks.

Hey ken, any knoweldge of someone working one a Mazda 6s supercharger?

I just can't accept the need complexity of a turbo on a v6 for the limited power gains the 6 can handle before becomming a granade

NO!!!!
DO A SUPER CHARGER DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Most of the turbo kits on 4 cyclinders out there are simply too shotty as it is and fail WAY to often. With the V6 and lack of space it is simply too many points of potential failure.

Simplicity is the key especialy with DIY installs that will account for the majority of the customers of any kit.

Build me a supercharger kit that can simply do a realible 5 PSI for under $3200 with an intercooler and EM of some form and I will buy it! DO the same with a turbo and I won't bother because I know from the beggining it will be WAY more problems then its worth. Take Bazooka Joe as an example, he has been installing a kit since last October and that should have been a simple system. Its not even a knock at you as I know you guys build good stuff. I have had experience with 3 different kits now and its always the same story. Wrong parts get shipped, parts are shipped that don't fit just right, needed upgrades are unforseen until problems arise with someones cars. These were all on less sofisticated 4 cyclinders that had way mopre room, easier computers and had plenty of play to forgive slight misalignments. The 6s will not be so forgiving.
I have been down that road myself once and with friends twice. My conclusion, is if its not simple, its not going to work for long, if ever.

Last edited:
Limited gains? Most of the contour owners are seeing almost 300 whp from a single turbo kit.

If anything, its just completely pointless due to the drivetrain layout. Opendifferntial + FWD + 300 whp = completely useless in anything but completely straight acceleration.

The car's already got massive power issues with wheel spin.

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~greghess/opendiff.avi

I do agree with your K.I.S.S. argument though :). I'm currently looking at getting a 94 base miata and doing a torsen swap...and a U2 or U3 ubercharger :).

Limited gains for the exact reasons you have mentioned, the car simply can not handle the power so why bother building a kit to deliver it when it will only have to be over priced and overly complex.

Ya I agree with that...which is why I'm just going NA. 220 whp with I/H/E and some tuning should be a nice sweet spot for the car.

mazda 6 wasn't built to be a pacific muscle car. Many have tired and came damn near close to proving that wrong, but at the end of the day the money spent could have been used elsewhere. Not saying it can't be done but it's gonna take some loot to travel down the path less taken. 1 member in this thread has actualy taken such a road (3.0TT) and another member is still in the process of trying to figure out how to S/C the 6s.

Mental Addiction said:
We are looking for a 3.0L turbo kit testbed.

Are you still looking??

Not only are you kits proven to be reliable on the Protege, but you are the only vendor still around after this long in this thread.

Back