Rx-8

Cameleon3

:
Mazda MP3 (Blue Mica)
I was just curious to know why the RX-8 is soooo expensive...it only has 160lbs of torque...Doesn't look too fast...Can someone explain that to me?

Torque behavior from a rotary is not the same as for a piston engine. Rotaries have always been high rev low torque. That's the nature of the beast.

The car has 50:50 balance, four comfy seats, looks like a champ and has a very upscale interior. What more do you want?

Ok..I guess I don't know enough about rotary engines...anyone have two minutes to explain it to me?? :rolleyes:

and I am still not convinced about the price..anymore arguments?

Yep, the RX-8 rocks. Price starts at $25k, tops out at $30. Seats 4...can outhandle the last generation RX-7. Sure it does not have a ton of HP and a boatload of torque, but it should be plenty fast.
It's on my wish list...or a Infinity G35 coupe. Oh if I only had money...

The RX-8 pulls 250 hp at 8500 rpm.. and it's 30% lighter than the 3rd gen RX-7. It's REALLY fast.

There are a few other differences between the Renesis and the Wankel:

1) The intake ports and the exhaust ports are both in the side housings, unlike the Wankel, which has peripheral intake ports. This means, basically, that there is no overlap. So, longer powerstroke and better heat efficiency (also better fuel economy, what do you know).

2) The intake ports open sooner, and the exhaust ports open later = longer powerstroke.

3) The Renesis is not as tall as the Wankel, which allows it to be placed 60mm closer to the center of the car than the RX-7. Hence, the 50/50 ratio mentioned in a previous post.

Remember that you are paying for R&D right now. ;)
So go out and buy those 8's... I read that if they go well, Mazda will be developing a new RX-7 for 2006.

Top speed of 144mph isn't fast enough? Check out the latest C&D comparo 'tween Mustang and Infiniti and the Renesis.

i have seen a rotary engine taken apart and still dont understand how it works. -=(

Cameleon3 said:
I was just curious to know why the RX-8 is soooo expensive...it only has 160lbs of torque...Doesn't look too fast...Can someone explain that to me?

I can't believe that this guy thinks that the RX-8 is too expensive. :rolleyes: I think it's a damn good price. When compared to the S2000, it's right on the mark.

It's a bargain compared to a 350Z and is better in just about every respect. Plus, if you buy a base 6-speed RX-8 for $27K, you get sport suspension, big wheels/tires, and all the power you would get with a $30K+ RX-8. To get the good stuff in a 350Z you have to spend $35K, easy.

Now stop talking about it. You're making me consider an RX-8 over a Mazdaspeed Protege. It's not that much more expensive...

andy_guerriero said:
The RX-8 pulls 250 hp at 8500 rpm.. and it's 30% lighter than the 3rd gen RX-7. It's REALLY fast.

It's not 30% lighter, it's actually a little heavier than the FD. RX-8 will be around 2950lbs. I think you ment the RX8 is 30% stiffer(ridgid) than the RX7, which in turn is true.

andy_guerriero said:
So go out and buy those 8's... I read that if they go well, Mazda will be developing a new RX-7 for 2006.

This is true. The RX7 is already under way, just will it come to the American shores, wellt hat all depends on the RX8, which I used to have plenty of doubt and now of which I have no doubt that it will be a big hit.

JasonH,
Thanks for the link. As zoomzoomh said, it really is beautifully simple. It just spins and spins and now with the relocated exhaust port it has better emissions.

Does the new renesis have an EGR like regular piston engines?

Ok, ... for those of you that know more about the models coming out, ...

I thought the RX8 was the REPLACEMENT for the RX7, ... why are they coming out with a new RX7? What is going to be the major difference between the two? (4 dr vs 2?)

ArkosP5 said:
Ok, ... for those of you that know more about the models coming out, ...

I thought the RX8 was the REPLACEMENT for the RX7, ... why are they coming out with a new RX7? What is going to be the major difference between the two? (4 dr vs 2?)

RX8 is just another line up in the RX-Series.

yup, RX-8 is NOT a direct replacement of the pure-bred sports car RX-7. It's a 4-seat rotary car with excellent sporting dynamic, whatever that means to you ;)

RX-7 will always be a no-nonsense, all out 2-seat sports car :)

the marque is too sacred to be anything else :D

I hope the new RX-7 come out! I read an article in sport compact car about the new RX-7 prediction. It would be pretty awesome if it came out. Do you think it would out perform the RX-8?

Back