Extra Mazda5 key

doody

:
Mazda5 AT Touring
Just bought a Black AT Touring 2 weeks ago. Love it.

I received 2 original sets of keys from the dealer and would like to keep an extra spare lying around.

Has anyone made an extra Mazda5 key?

I checked with my dealer and they said that it would cost $150 for one extra copy. Also, they said that the other Mazda models are approx $65 but the Mazda5, because the flip out key, is more expensive.

Are there any places to get a copy cheaper?

There's some sort of chip in the Mazda5 keys such that the car won't start without the correct official key. That's an auto-theft feature. It saves you some money on your car insurance, but as far as I know it also means that you can't get a key made by anyone else except Mazda.

You should be able to get a copy made at any place that cuts keys. They'll just have to match it up to a regular blank. I'm not certain, but it appears to be a standard Ford/Mazda blank.

The thing is you WILL NOT be able to start the vehicle. You will be able to unlock the door and glovebox, and you should be able to unlock the column, but it WILL NOT start.

smaria is correct, there is a chip in the key that makes it difficult to steal the car without the proper key (containing said chip)

There's a member on the Mazda3 side of this board who got the Mazda5 jacknife to work on a Mazda3. So, perhaps buying the cheaper Mazda3 immobilizer key and Mazda3 remote may work.

The Mazda3 keyfob can often be found on ebay, so even cheaper than the dealer.

I do believe that professional locksmiths can program the chip in the key. So if you get a 3 key they *should* be able to program the chip for you.
I'd call some locksmiths and make sure they can program it before I bought the key of ebay though.

On a side note, I was told by my salesman [hearsay] that people have had their switchblade style keys confiscated by airport security.

All,

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the alternatives.

I just called a Mazda dealer and they gave me a breakdown for the key alone (no remote fob):

- $64 for key
- $90 for programming

total = $154

ouch!

They warned me when i bought the 5 that keys cost more than coke addiction and not to lose them.

Funny this just came up. I went to a waterpark in NH yesterday. My key was in my shorts all day. I guess it's waterproof! (cool)

Tim H. said:
Funny this just came up. I went to a waterpark in NH yesterday. My key was in my shorts all day. I guess it's waterproof! (cool)
Or you're really lucky
icon_nervous.gif

doody said:
All,

I just called a Mazda dealer and they gave me a breakdown for the key alone (no remote fob):

- $64 for key
- $90 for programming

total = $154

ouch!

OMG, 90$ for programming? If you still have both original keys, it'll take less than 30 seconds to program the new key. You can use the Mazda 3 programming How-To.

wongpres is right, a Mazda 3 key WILL work. However, I'm not so sure the remote fob will.

Last edited:
doody said:
All,

- $64 for key
- $90 for programming

total = $154

ouch!

that's what the stealership told me for a key for mom's tribute, but i only have one key.

Tim H. said:
My husband did the same thing last week - the remote still works fine...I thought for sure that he would have damaged it. He also misplaced it last week too - I told him today it's $150 to replace so ....don't lose it! (no)

Back