Winter Steel Wheels

Tim H.

Yep, thinking of snow already! My 5 has the alloy 17's and I want four 16" steel wheels for the winter. Any suggestions? TireRack does not list anything. What wheel would be compariable with the same bolt patten, offset ect.?

Tim - Tire Rack will have Winter Packages come Sept/Oct, which is when most retailers begin to stock winter tires. How do you like your 5 so far?

My wife and I looked at them on Saturday night after the dealer was closed. I was mighty impressed...a very attractive car "in the flesh."

15"?

Any way you can put 15" steelies on the mazda 5? would be the same answer as for the mazda 3 I presume.

Thanks,

M

I *think* I read somewhere that you cannot fit 15"s. They won't clear the brakes.
I don't think this will confirm anything, but the donut is a 16 incher.

Matt5 said:
Any way you can put 15" steelies on the mazda 5? would be the same answer as for the mazda 3 I presume.

Thanks,

M
No, 16-inch minimum for N. American-spec.

Tim H. said:
Yep, thinking of snow already! My 5 has the alloy 17's and I want four 16" steel wheels for the winter. Any suggestions? TireRack does not list anything. What wheel would be compariable with the same bolt patten, offset ect.?

Same story here. We expect to take delivery of our '5 in a month and snow is not far beyond that (in Ottawa). I too am considering 15/16" choice and await a definitive answer on whether 15's will fit.

New concern: Canadian vehicles (I don't know about U.S.A.) have Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) with sensors and transmitters in each wheel. What happens if I fit 4 steel wheels w/o sensors. Do I have to look at the warning light on my dash all winter or is there some way to disable it? Any info? Else, how expensive are 4 extra sensors? <gulp>?

5thAve said:
Same story here. We expect to take delivery of our '5 in a month and snow is not far beyond that (in Ottawa). I too am considering 15/16" choice and await a definitive answer on whether 15's will fit.

New concern: Canadian vehicles (I don't know about U.S.A.) have Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) with sensors and transmitters in each wheel. What happens if I fit 4 steel wheels w/o sensors. Do I have to look at the warning light on my dash all winter or is there some way to disable it? Any info? Else, how expensive are 4 extra sensors? <gulp>?

Not true, Canadian-spec Mazda5 does not have TPMS. And as I mentioned above, 16-inch is the smallest you can go (P205/55R16 would be optimal, as its exactly the Mazda5 16-inch tire size).

wongpres said:
Not true, Canadian-spec Mazda5 does not have TPMS. And as I mentioned above, 16-inch is the smallest you can go (P205/55R16 would be optimal, as its exactly the Mazda5 16-inch tire size).

Thanks for the clarification.

Just went shopping for winter tires/wheels today. Kal Tire (Canada) has a new Nokian RSI tire that looks promising. The price for 4 205/60/16 on black rims installed, etc, was $1069. Have been happy with the Nokians on our '04 Sienna for 2 winters now.
On a side note: Tire Warehouse has some summer rims on special! Falken Torque 5 rims in gunmetal(on a Carbon should be sweet!) for $192 CAN each for an 18" x 7". I just don't know if thats a good width for a 225 tire. No 7.5 or 8" available. Should give a meatier/protruding sidewall to protect the rim more I would guess. Hmmm.

Cheap steel wheels seem to run about $69 Cdn anywhere I look around here, and would be "universal" (i.e. bolt centric ... yuck). Took a chance on calling my Mazda parts counter and they offer 16"ers to fit my forthcoming Mazda5 -- HUB CENTRIC!!! -- for only $65ea. (cheers) All yous who are contemplating winter steel wheels owe it to yourselves to price the Mazda original part. Better quality, lower cost. What more could I ask for? Oh, ok. I could as for a Mazda5 to put them on. Don't get me started....l (deadhorse)

Re: 16" Mazda steel wheels

I've been thinking about winter tires (I know, I know, DC doesn't really "get any snow", but I have a heck of a driveway and I need all the grip I can get on the Beltway in the snow).

Just got quotes from two local Mazda dealerships for 16" Mazda3 steel wheels - $129 and $150 per rim. These seems a bit high to me, especially since our Canadian friends are getting their rims for $69!

I know this guy is using 99 Maxima SE rims on his 5, just for grins - http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/16inchwheels.html

Aside from Ebay, are there any other stock wheel order options?

i just ordered MSW Type 11 wheels in 17" and Michelin X-Ice tires for the 5 from tirerack. Couldn't bear to see the car in steelies for 6 months. came to $955 shipped.

msw_type11_mblk_ci3_l.jpg

5phreak, those are nice wheels and a good tire choice too. I'm probably going w/ the Dunlop Graspics, myself.

Should I assume that the steelies on tirerack are not hub-centric? I can't find any concrete info on this, other than the comments here.

Last edited:
^^ i prefer to talk to the tirerack folks. they set you straight and you can be looking at the website at the same time for pictures of what they're talking about.

i'll post pics of mine installed in November. i hope you're right PGC, and the tires work well. they seem like a good choice from the description.

Looks like I'll be trading in my 5. I have a set of OEM rims w/ TPMS installed w/ Continental winter contact tires mounted if anyone is interested. The rims aren't perfect - there is some road rash. PM me if interested.

Back