Modifications--What Works..

Mp3cHikn

I have seen alot of different posts about modifications, what works and what doesn't work. Then, I see stuff..well this works, then a few posts later, nope don't work.. anyway, I'm rambling.. What I am getting to is post what is really working well for your car as far as added horsepower/acceleration etc, and where did you get it. After about two weeks I am going to come up with everyone's answers and suggestions and make a file to pass around so everyone can be informed on what works for our cars. Thanks!

I know for a fact getting a few more miles on your car works. I notice a big defference in acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear now that I have around 2000 miles on her. It's not much, but it is noticable.

Originally posted by Ben:
<STRONG>I know for a fact getting a few more miles on your car works. I notice a big defference in acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear now that I have around 2000 miles on her. It's not much, but it is noticable.</STRONG>
Very true Ben, there are some WRXs in the i-club community rumored to have gained another 7 to 10 hp just after the break in period and resetting the ECU. Yes, that sounds extreme, but the point is once everything in your engine has found its grooves, it operates smoother and will generate a little more power.

As for what works, I'm guessing its so early in your car's life, that the list for what works is going to be short because not many people have been willing to be the guinea pig for many products.

From what I have read, the only products are an intake and maybe a custom exhaust. There is a list of parts available, but it is all speculation until people actually buy them and test them out. Give it time, the market is developing.

I can say the best thing you can do and what you have going for you is #s. The more of you that band together and approach a company about a product, the more likely they are to R & D what you want. We have done that several times over at i-club with certain companies and within weeks, they had no choice really but to get off their butts and start answering the demand. Use e-mails, phone calls, whatever, but if the demand is there, they will build it.

Well, as for the intake cams, I will be getting them very soon. I am moving to Dallas, TX on Dec. 20. My wifes brother-in-law is an ASE mechanic for a saturn dealer there and he is going to help me with installing my mods. Once I get the cam in I'll let everyone know. Unless someone already has it in their car. Let us know how well it works. :D

FS-ZE Intake Cam adds ~10 whp, this comes from Corksport directly.

Mazspeed exhaust cam hasn't been tested yet, but I am gonna go out on a limb here by saying it won't make you LOSE HP hehe.

NOS works.

FS-ZE and Mazdaspeed pistons will add a few horses. The higher compression should add a good amount of HP. Cost vs. HP gains aren't worth it though, would be alot to get them installed.

The cams and pistons should take the MP3 to 160-170 HP. Seems the only major differences in our engine and the FS-ZE are cams and pistons. I would imagine the exhaust is diff too, and the ECU, but those parts should get us to 160 anyway.

SAFC works. Tweaking the air fuel can unlock a surprisingly good amount of HP.

Header works. It is expensive, but should be good for 10 whp or so, since it has been determined that the stock exhaust system is power robbing.

Intakes work. No proven numbers yet, but I am certain any of the intakes will give ya a HP or 2.

Thats about it as far as bolt ons go. There's always the usual, custom exhaust, head work, valve work.

Doh! didn't read the rest of the post hehe. You want PROVEN HP gains. Well you can add the FS-ZE intake cam, Corksport has tested it, ~10 whp.

I have already ordered the FS-ZE cam, the Mazdaspeed exhaust cam, MHP CAI, Apexi muffler (will get custom exhaust with a high flow cat), Apexi SAFC, and an MSD fuel pressure regulator. I will get them all installed and let you know about how much all that added, no dyno, but if I beat a stock Civic SI I am gonna claim 160 HP at least :)

HEHE!
Hey, has anyone in here ever installed an intake cam? I have no clue how hard this would be but I am very interested in doing this swap. Same question about the exaust cam? I have very little experiance with engines but I hope to learn alot with this car. Thanks for any info. :)

Corksport hasn't dyno'd the intake cam, if they did, it would have been noted on their website. Showing proof that a product can produce results would really help the sales. But gaining 10whp or from just the intake cam alone is highly unlikely. If you look at other manufacters, you'll notice that no other company has ever gained 10whp from a single cam install. But, just like I've always said it, until we see more than one Dyno pull that shows that cam add 10whp, it will remain just another manufacturers claim. Just my. 02 cents.

I thought the MazdaSpeed intake cam gave 12 hp. At least thats what the website says. But not smog legal. But who cares when you can get an inspection sticker from your brother-in-law.HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Also for installing the cam. I have helped friends w/ V8's put in things such as cams pistons, etc. Cams aren't too difficult. Although I've never really worked on an import 4cyl. I'm not sure about this, but you could probably get the Chiltons for any import 2.0 engine(I'M NOT SAYING IT WILL BE THE SAME), but you can use it as a referance. I know there is a certain order you have to unbolt the bolts that hold the bearings on. Besides that it is pretty easy. Just use some white out and draw a line on the timming belt and the cam before you take it off. It would be very bad to screw that up. You could bend valves,....very expensive to fix.

p.s--I just wanted to put that part in capps for those people who tend to flame people for the slightest little things. A word of advise...Chill the hell out! These people know who I'm talking about.

MP3BEN put up these dyno results for the MHP CAI:
"But that's WITH the CAI. And it does make a difference! The reason I know: a stock Protege5 went in right before me, doing a completely stock pull of 102hp. They have 10hp less at the crank than we do, so that is about 8 hp at the wheels less. Doing the math, 114 - 102 - 8 = 4. Meaning, about 4 hp at the wheels gain, or 5ish at the crank. I really wish I had dynoed my own car before the CAI just to make sure, but damn dynos are expensive! For my experiments today I could have bought a handful of K&N's!! But it was all in fun though hehehe...."

Looks like 4-5 hp? My Butt Dyno tells me the same. I have the carbon fiber CAI.

Anywhere from $285(group buy) to $369(?) (got mine for less than $369-I called them) from www.mhptuning.com

:D

well i went to mazdamotorsports yesterday and they have the intake and exhaust cam from the J-spec. under the exhaust cam it say if you use both it SHOULD (not gauranteed) to give you about 12 whp.

as for pistons i asked the guys at mazdamotorsports and corksport and they werent sure, but since we are already running 91 octane to stopping "pinging from the mod ECU" is it safe to run high compression pistons

also i talked to Mazda NorthAmerica i told them i wanted to get the J-spec cams and put them in my car. they said since they are MAZDA cams that if you had the DEALER install them that they shouldnt void your warranty, but that you should talk to your dealer first. the dealer will rape you on install charge, but if it doesnt void your warranty it might be worth it in my eyes.

What is all this obsession about adding horsepower?? Torque matters ya know and adding pistons could decrease your low end and midrange torque, which would kinda suck.

And there is no way the intake cam will give you 10whp alone....with both cams, you'll be lucky to get 10whp, let alone the intake

Well, what everyone probably means is power in general. Not just horsepower, when people refer to making more power, everyone automatically assumes HP, that's all ;) . I'd be happy to have more top end power anyway, you can cure a little of your low end whoa's by installing the lightened flywheel. And that is a fact of course. Lighter flywheel means quicker acceleration. :D

There seems to be a lot of confusion on here...

Installing a cam on the 2.0 liter Protege motor is kind of a pain, if your not a competnent mechanic I would let a professional do it.

As for the cams and hp gains, the way I read it (off of Mazda Motorsports), the FS-ZE intake cam is supposed to get you 12 hp. It didn't say wheel or crank, so it's a guess. I'm willing to say crank. And from what I've read elsewhere, the 2.0 liter Protege motor responds very well to cams. So, that number might not be off.

Also from what I've seen, the Mazdaspeed exhaust cam should be from the "Sport 20". I'm not sure how much of a gain you will see from it, but there should be a nice gain. The cams will move the power up higher in the rpm range though.

The pistons would be nice but if you plan on doing a turbo later, you probably won't want the higher compression pistons. You won't be able to run as much boost if you have 10.5:1 v. the 9.1:1 the 2.0 liter has now.

Just some thoughts, IMHO...

Yeah, I'm confused... this and that.. I'm definitly not an engine expert. :)
What I am looking for is what works.. how about a list type format without all the adds and ends.. thanks.

Alright here goes a list. Someone out there feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on some of this. Ths goes from least expensive to most expensive.

• More miles on your engine.
  • Cone filter in place of stock air box. ($20-$45)Unknown HP, My guess, just better sound.
  • Replace 1st catalytic conv. w/ straight pipe. Find a crooked muffler shop to do it for about $40 to $150. I know of one here in Auburn that will do it for $40.
  • CAI($199 AEM, $235 Injen, $300+ MHP)Unknown HP, My guess 5HP
  • Exhaust cam(Mazda Motor Sports $136.90)Unknown HP
  • Intake cam(Mazda MotorSports $167.10)12HP
  • FS-ZE Piston set, 10.5:1(Mazda Motor Sports $29.05 each)Unknown HP, My guess, 15HP
  • MazdaSpeed high compression piston set, 10.7:1(Corksport.com $120)Unknown HP, Probably a little more than the FS-ZE pistons.

I'm not even going to list things such as header, flywheel, and such b/c they are just too expensive right now. Instalation for the cams will be around $200 to $300. Installation for the pistons will be around $500 to $800. The quickest HP will be with the first cat out of the way. All you will have to do is hallow out the cat, then weld a pipe inside it that will run straight through. Some people will say that is ghetto, but you will never see it and it works. I have had it done on other cars I've owned. To keep the check engine light from comming on, you will have to run the 2nd O2 sensor to the rear of the second cat. This is in theory. If I've missed some things on the list, forgive me and feel free to correct me. ;)

im new to the import four-banger scene, i used to do classic hot rods and four wheel drives but im in college know and ten mpg was gettin kinda old, but when i worked on v-8s a cam made a big difference, it not only made it lope like a mother, but it added gobs of hp and torque. maybe its different w/ puddle skippers, like i said im new to the import scene. also, as far as the hollowing out the cats, there are lots of cons too. whenever i did this on v-8s i usually got a pretty noticable power gain and got louder, but gas mileage went down the drain. also, some people dont like the cars to be loud, especially four-bangers, cause they sound like a pissed off bumble-bee going down the road. back to the technical, motors need backpressure that cats give to operate efficiantly, cutting them out may free a little power but you'll probably lose gas mileage and it may or may not sound good. one last thing, a lot of these mods dont sound like that much, common 10 wopping hp, but they actually make the engine climb in rpms faster and idle a little meaner. you cant go by hps alone. like i said, im new so if im wrong sorry, but all of this is true to american vehicles so they should be pretty acurate.

Latest posts

Back