PR5 Lifter noise

Anyone else having any trouble with lifter noise? I've been to the dealership and they inform me that the PR5's come with "floating lifters" and that the noise I'm hearing is normal.:confused:
Thanks!

what does it sound like??? b/c my MP3 does make a noise like that but it's normally. most 4 cyl make a type of noise. my friends Spec-V makes it too.

Saided18 you asked how it sounded......

The best description I can give it, is a ticking noise. I hear most clearly anytime I get above 2300rpm in any gear. I guess what concerns me the most is.... is this OK, or is this something all of us should be concerned about? I have a hard time believing that they would make an engine that sounds like this when any other car with this noise is considered a "problem".

i don't ear it on my car b/c i have the injen CAI which is LOUD!!! but at idle you do hear a ticking.

I've heard it during idle only once or twice. The car needs to be accelerating and over 2000rpm, and you'll hear it everytime. I watched the video that was mentioned and didn't hear anything similar to the noise that comes from my car.

Did you just describe the sound to the dealer or did somebody in the service department actually hear it? See if you can take another P5 for a test drive. If it doesn't sound the same and they still won't look at your car, go to another dealer. If they won't let you take a quick test drive in another P5, I'd try another dealer too.

At idle, with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30, my car sounds like a quiet diesel. Damn those noisey ass lifters... almost as bad as the HLA's in my old 94 Probe GT. Every P5 I drove made the noise I am talking about too...

Last edited:
Yep, been to 2 dealerships and had no luck. I've considered asking about driving another PR5 and will do so the next time I'm in for service. I'm going to check out a local PR5 club and see if anyone there has any suggestions and take it from there. I'm no mechanic, but what I hear does not sound correct!

i have had this noise since day one. i even had a service guy refuse to change my oil because he said it was a rod knocking. wouldn't be to concerned. mine is mainly at idle when the car is cold.

Back