Do you fit the demographics?

miatafied

Contributor
:
Mazda5/kidhauler - Miata/fun car
I have a little book from the sales guy that was intended as a reference for the salesmen - it's a small spiral bound book with "fast facts on the Mazda5"

Here's the little blurb to let the salesguys know what kind of people will be looking at the Mazda 5 - do you fit it? Scarily, we do.

"The Mazda5 is targeted at careerminded professionals in their late twenties to mid thirties. These college graduates are likely to be expectant parents or new parents with one or two preschool-age children. Forcused on their kids, these buyers are striving to maintain "adult time" while attempting not to lose sight of themselves as individuals. They are looking for solutions that help with their multidimensional lives.

As their primary vehicle, the MAZDA5 offers these buyers the best of small-sedan affordability, minivan-like flexibility, SUV sportiness, and sportwagon styling and driving dynamics. It becomes their taxi, work vehicle, limousine, shopping cart, and fun-to-drive car - all in the same day."

Anyhow - thought it was interesting.

Late 20's, college graduates, expectant parents, wanting our car to be flexible and affordable (and the sportiness is an added perk too)...yup, that describes my wife and me.

The only thing that doesn't fit us 100% is the "careerminded professionals" line, because the Mazda5 is mostly going to be my wife's car and she's going to stop working once our first child is born.

:)
For the most part.

Im 25, my wife is 28. We have a 05 Mazda3 and the 06 Mazda5. I didnt want a minivan (it was only 12 months ago i was driving around in a mustang!). We just had our first child. She has a decent career and makes about 45k a year and I make 30k but am still going to school. Likewise Im thinking they built this mini-minivan for us, so no one else can buy one!

Nope.
No kids (yet), no degree (yet), I will be career minded once I find one. I think I fall into the catagory of "overgrown teenager" or at least I'd like to lol.
But the part where they describe the 5..."small-sedan affordability, minivan-like flexibility, SUV sportiness, and sportwagon styling and driving dynamics" I'd say that fits the bill.

Oh, and I turned 27 last month.

i saw one of these 5's for the first time the other day... wasnt sure if it was a susuki converted to a scion converted to a mazda or what.... not sure aobut these... but hey... nice write up

orphman said:
i saw one of these 5's for the first time the other day... wasnt sure if it was a susuki converted to a scion converted to a mazda or what.... not sure aobut these... but hey... nice write up

Nope, it's all Mazda all the way! The Mazda5 is built on the Mazda3's platform (with the same engine) and built in Japan.

smaria said:
Nope, it's all Mazda all the way! The Mazda5 is built on the Mazda3's platform (with the same engine) and built in Japan.

lol thanks i was being sarcastic lol

miatafied said:
I have a little book from the sales guy that was intended as a reference for the salesmen - it's a small spiral bound book with "fast facts on the Mazda5"

I saw something similar in the "dealer's magazine" I mentioned in another thread. The article I read had a few more things in it. I remember it mentioned a few competing cars that it expected people to be cross-shopping (I recall Toyota Matrix among others), and if I recall correctly, it also mentioned that it expected that the people buying the Mazda5 would have a household income around $70,000.

miatafied said:
"The Mazda5 is targeted at careerminded professionals in their late twenties to mid thirties. These college graduates are likely to be expectant parents or new parents with one or two preschool-age children. Forcused on their kids, these buyers are striving to maintain "adult time" while attempting not to lose sight of themselves as individuals. They are looking for solutions that help with their multidimensional lives.

As their primary vehicle, the MAZDA5 offers these buyers the best of small-sedan affordability, minivan-like flexibility, SUV sportiness, and sportwagon styling and driving dynamics. It becomes their taxi, work vehicle, limousine, shopping cart, and fun-to-drive car - all in the same day."

Anyhow - thought it was interesting.

Yes, that quote pretty much fits me as well. The main exception is instead of just two preschool-age children, we have a third on the way. I really think having three young kids is an area where the Mazda5 excels.

When our first child was born, my wife and I shared a 4-door Honda Accord and we simply put him in the middle of the back seat. When our second boy was born about 18 months later we were still able to use the Accord. Things were a little tighter, but otherwise we had enough room. I think most traditional cars that seat five are adequate for one or two kids in the back.

However, a third child really changes the equation, especially that the laws regarding child seats are stronger than they were a few decades ago when I was growing up. Heh. Here in California, the law requires children to ride in the back seat in a safety seat until they are 6 years old or weigh 60 pounds, and a booster seat should continue to be used until at least age 8.

My two boys are in boosters, and trying to get an infant seat in-between two booster seats in one row is difficult at best. I was able to do this in the Accord, but just barely. Strapping in the booster seats was insane.

From my research, most vehicles that seat five, that is, three in the back row specifically, are very hard to do with three child/booster seats. Considering I didn't want a SUV or the large minivans out there, the Mazda5 was the perfect vehicle at the perfect time for me.

MMMMMM......mid-40's, college grads and 2 kids. Close! I think this is more the buyer for the 5 than what is described. Honda missed it with the Element also.

Wow! That's me! Well, except for the careerminded, professional, college graduate, multidimensional life and focused on their kids, parts.. (loser) :'( (cryhard)

I guess I'll go back to the Protege5 forum now......

Actually, that description is pretty generic. Just about everyone between 24-35 fits that description.
if you are between 24-35 you should be doing the following;
-finishing college (paying student loans)
-getting first real job (401k, way more than minimum wage)
-getting married
-having planned pregnancies (unless you got that out of hte way in highschool)
-buying your first house
-buying homeowners/life/multi-car insurance
-buying furniture sets for you new house
-branding (you start to buy the same specific products in repetition, tide for your washer, baby supplies, etc. because it worked last time and you want the same consistancy)
-Major appliances- washer, dryer, oven, fridge, large tvs, computers big ticket items
-yard maintenance items- because you didn't have to mow the lawn in college.

I could go on and on. I take training course on this. Demographic studies are big business. I also fall into most of the categories I just listed; 1 year married, house, lawn mower, NO BABY SUPPLIES!! NO BABIES!! I told my wife I want a sports car before we start having kids. (lol2)

on a side note, I saw my first 5 in person today, I was following them at the drive through for Dunkin donuts. I like the tail lights, but I just can see myself driving one.

Back