Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

perfecto

:
2006 Mazda 5 GT
Please post your real-world mileage numbers for your Mazda5, as well as your transmission type, in this thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
I just cruised from LA to Phoenix on one tank of gas! 6.5 hours and 417 miles later, I would say highway milage was just over 30 mpg. I still had fumes to spare. (2003.5 Pro5 - Auto trans, K&N CAI, Racing Beat cat-back, RR Racing UDP, Magnacor Wires.)

bala de plata said:
I just cruised from LA to Phoenix on one tank of gas! 6.5 hours and 417 miles later, I would say highway milage was just over 30 mpg. I still had fumes to spare. (2003.5 Pro5 - Auto trans, K&N CAI, Racing Beat cat-back, RR Racing UDP, Magnacor Wires.)

This thread is only for Mazda 5's, but that's good MPG on a P5 :D

mz5 said:
23.9 MPG
Auto Trans
50% empty freeway 50% stop-n-go

Well...I just filled out my 2nd tank. I had about 25% left so I filled the tank.

Same traffic condition.

I got 260 miles, filled up 9.7 gall.......26.7 MPG

24.5 mpg on 1st tank driving like a moron. 50 City\50 Hwy AC blaring the whole time. I am amazed. my winter hwydrives will hit 30mpg I can feel it once the motor is broken in.

25.3 MPG with Auto

I just filled up my Mazda5, auto trans, for the first time. 338 miles driven since the dealer filled it up, and I just put 13.35 gallons in to fill it up again: 25.3 MPG!

About 80% of the miles were highway. Most of the miles were with only 2 people in the car (driver + passenger) but some of the miles were with 4 people. We actually drove it up a small mountain when we had 4 people in it, so I thought that our MPG would suffer...it doesn't seem like it did.

Considering that we had the AC on 100% of the time during these 338 miles, I'm very satisfied with the MPG that I got!

By the way, my gas light went on 18 miles before I filled up my tank, and when I filled it up I only put 13.35 gallons into the 15.9-gallon tank. Based on these numbers, I think that I had a little more than 3 gallons left in the tank when the gas light went on...that's kinda early for it to come on, but better early than too late! My Civic is the same way: it has a 13-gallon tank, but I've never put more than 11 gallons into it because the gas light goes on when there are about 3-4 gallons left in the tank.

First fill up: 210(ish) miles, 8.5 gallons--24.7 MPG
Second fill up: 235 miles, 10.6 gallons--22 MPG
Thrid fill up: 243 miles, 8.8 gallons--27.6 MPG (I'm lovin' this!!)

First tank had about 60 highway miles on it, rest were city miles...A/C on the whole time.
Second tank is all city, all A/C.
Third tank, all city, 75% A/C.
Automatic trans.

Last edited:
ABear said:
6 Speed diesel is availible in europe....

Its gets
38/49

With todays prices that kind of pisses me off its not availible here.....

http://www.mazda.co.uk/

Wow, those are some impressive MPG numbers. Even with diesel prices cost more than Premium unleaded, it's still cost less overall at the gas pump with that kind of MPG numbers.

Didn't want to post until I had a few tanks worth of info:
5spd Touring

1st tank - 22mpg
2nd tank - 24mpg
3rd tank - 25mpg
4th tank - 29mpg

Mixed 50-50 city hwy - A/C on all the time lately. Can't wait until the fall w/o A/C to see what kind of mileage I can get.

Activematic Transmission
- 1st tank.... not sure, no accurate means of measurement
- 2nd tank (40 l) = 10 km/l
- 3rd tabk (40 l) = 9.875 km/l

Sorry, but I metric-based ;^)

Last edited:
5-speed, mixed driving and I got about 23 MPG on the 2nd or 3rd tank of gas. A bit disappointing actually. Maybe it will get better after the engine breaks in?

3rd Tank US Sport Auto

I just calculated 27.4 MPG on my third tank! At least 20% city driving, and the AC on almost the entire time.

On 3 tanks, I've gotten 25.3 MPG, 22.0 MPG, and 27.4 MPG. That's a total of 1151 miles driven, and a 3-tank average of 25.0 MPG.

bala de plata said:

I know, I know.... but I get 34mpg in my P5 in mixed driving all the time... I have a 4-1 coated header and CAI... and I always have my AC on and run hard thru the gears from every stop...

With the extra 600 lbs, I would expect a 5 to get 30mpg easy with the same intake/exhaust mods... That extra weight is really not much for a 2.3L engine... My 2.0 pulls a 150lb trailer loaded with a 400lb tractor without breaking a sweat.... that's almost 600lbs...

Fully loaded on a road trip within the first 500 miles of getting it.

Got 32 mpg Hwy.

Was shocked (boom01)

-Johaan

First tank of gas (the only one I've used so far)....18 MPG. Not driving it hard, but it's all city driving. Could be the Louisiana heat and humidity.

Last edited:
Back