Tires (Summer/Winter)

miatafied

Contributor
:
Mazda5/kidhauler - Miata/fun car
I was trying to find a rating on the stock tires - Toyo Proxes A18's - but I'm guessing that I should consider running winter tires.

I know it's bloody hot outside and I'm thinking about winter tires. Just wondering what all the canadians plan on running for the winter.

- Ceril

miatafied said:
I was trying to find a rating on the stock tires - Toyo Proxes A18's - but I'm guessing that I should consider running winter tires.

I know it's bloody hot outside and I'm thinking about winter tires. Just wondering what all the canadians plan on running for the winter.

- Ceril

I'm definatly looking at winter tires. I currently run Nokian Hakkapeliitta's on my cars. I'll probably be looking at a set of these for the M5 once I get it. I might even use the stock tires for the first winter or put two winters on the front for the first year. Still far away but like you have started thinking about it.

miatafied said:

- Ceril

I'll let it runs on stock tires in the first yr winter.

I'm definitely running stock tires for the first year... but then again, I live in Vancouver and we rarely get any kind of snow accumulations.

miatafied said:

- Ceril

What is this 'winter' thing you're talking about? (sun)

You won't find too much info on the Toyo Proxes A18's because the A18 is OEM-only (i.e. Toyo only sells them to car manufacturers to install at the factory, so it's not a tire line that tire resellers offer).

As for winter, my recommendation is to go with the Mazda5 16-inch tire size. Even though all US-spec Mazda5 comes with 17's, other market Mazda5's also come in P205/55R16 from the factory. 16-inch winters are far cheaper than 17-inch winters, while 15-inch will not clear the brakes (so minimum is 16-inch).

In the past I've run on Canadian Tire's "house" brand "Nordic Ice" tires. They're made by Michelin and proved quite good for the 1st and 2nd season. 3rd season there was a noticeable drop in grip. Noise was increased over summer tires and handling affected slightly (softer sidewalls) -- enough to notice, but I'm no rally driver with the family aboard, so it wasn't a big issue.

For our new Mazda5 -- if we ever receive it -- I'm going to order 4x 16" steel wheels from the dealer (Mazda spec so they are hub-centric and not bolt-centric like 'universal' wheels from Tire Rack etc.) The dealer's price on the steel wheels is very competitive.

I'm thinking of spending a little more than I did for the Canadian Tire branded stuff and going with Bridgestone's new "Revo 1" tires which are getting good reviews at Tire Rack. Linky (wrc) They seem comparable to the Michelin X-Ice or better, and at a slightly lower cost too. I notice in the fine print that only the first 60% of the tread is "microcell" compound, and the remainder is standard compound. So I expect two good seasons and a dropoff in performance thereafter. Maybe this explains why my Michelin-made Nordictrac tires lost performance in the 3rd year? I don't know. Just speculation.

5thAve said:
I'm going to order 4x 16" steel wheels from the dealer (Mazda spec so they are hub-centric and not bolt-centric like 'universal' wheels from Tire Rack etc.) The dealer's price on the steel wheels is very competitive.

Hmm...I'll have to look into those.

Picking up my winter tire package from Kal Tire In a couple of hours.

Got Nokian RSI's, 205/60/16, mounted on Evo 7 (16X7) rims in silver.
Total cost with tuner(slimmer) lug nuts, mounting, taxes, is $1200 CAN.

Went with 60's instead of 55's, as the sidewall is actually shorter with the 55's on the 16" rims, than the factory 17" rim/tire setup (.4"). All still within the 3% "limit". I wanted more "cushion", so I went a little taller.

It was a toss up betw. the X-ICE and these. I have Nokians on our Sienna and have been happy with them for 2 seasons.

Now I just need a 5 to put them on!!

Last edited:
Interesting choice. I think I'm going to give the Bridgestone Revo 1's a try... if we have a car before the snow melts. As I get some experience with them I"ll post feedback here.

5thAve said:
Interesting choice. I think I'm going to give the Bridgestone Revo 1's a try... if we have a car before the snow melts. As I get some experience with them I"ll post feedback here.

I use Michelin Pilot A/S on my 3 and picked up a set for my 5. My 3 had no problems last winter. The Michelin's defintely make a huge difference in the handling department. Their ability in wet and dry is outstanding and their snow grip is good for an all season. Expensive but really well designed tire with an especially strong sidewall and integrated rim protector edge- an important feature for protecting those 17 inch rims. Wear looks to be in the high 30's, low 40's with proper rotation.

Halifax Pricing on Winter Tires

I have just spent the better part of the afternoon calling around to locate winter tires for my Mazda 5 so when I pick it up in January, I can remove the All Seasons that come on it. Everyone I know with a Mazda 3 have said the stock tires are not good in the winter, and we have been hit hard the last couple of years.

After getting prices for Goodyear, Toya and Bridgestone 205/50R17 tires, and changing many underwear due to total shock, I called the Mazda dealer I bought my car from and they have a deal on for 4 steel rims & 4 Goodyear Snowtrackers, installed, taxes-in for around $850. These are 16" rims and tires, but I would prefer those then 17s in the snow anyway, especially if they are narrower. It is probably the same across the country.

Halifax Tires ....

Haligonian,

My search for winter tires for our M3 ended with Costco rims and Miller Tire (Barrington St) for BF Goodrich Winter Slaloms. Not sure what size your M5 will take but the M3 takes 205 55 16. My end cost is about $830 including taxes. I will put the tires on in the driveway when snow is likely - no lines at the garages or dealers and especially at the Bayers Lake Price Club.

The package price from our dealer in Truro was around $800 + tax. This package was for Goodyear Ultra Grip snow tires ( and rims).

I've heard some of the prices the Halifax dealers were offering and feel I saved a few dollars.

Hope this might help with your decision.

Just received my winter tires from Tire Rack

For our Mazda5 here in Rochester NY, I ordered Dunlop WinterSport 3D 205/55-16 on new alloy 16x7 SE F10 rims, mounted and balanced direct from Tire Rack for $792 total, delivered in 3 days. Great high performance winter tires and great looking rims (better than stock, and only about $120 more than steel w/ wheel covers), for a pretty good price.

BTW - I hate the stock Toyo A18s, very noisy and poor grip for a tire that does not have very good tread life. One of the worst tires I've ever had.

I love the 'newbie post resurrection phenomenon'. 2 year old thread brought back from the dead. ;)

Anyway, this year at least, we are going to install the Hakka-2s we purchsed for our STi (now sold). They're 225/40-17 and will probably float over slush a bit, but you can't argue with the number of studs in these things when it comes to ice.

Back