Mazda 5 Bike Rack - whats the Hitch?

I have just ordered a new Mazda 5 and expect to take delivery in the next week or so. (this site was very useful in helping me make my decision by the way) I am considering having a trailer hitch put on the car to accomidate a bicycle rack - likely one of the swing down ones that allow access to the back hatch.
I have no experience with hitches. Is it even possible to put one on a Mazda 5? Is it best to have the dealer install one, or should I wait and get a third party to install it? Would this have any effect on the warranty? There seem to be different class hitches too - class 1 2 and 3 in asscending pulling and tongue capacity. As I am not really planning on towing anything, I guess the thing to be concerned about is tongue capacity -- and most of the bike racks I have seen seem to specify class 2 or more. Will the Mazda 5 accomidate such a hitch? Also, anyone know of a good 3rd party installer in Toronto, if that is the way to go? Thanks!!!

I've been looking into this also - I'm thinking hidden hitch (www.hidden-hitch.com) but I think that they only have hitches showing for the 3, 6 and MPV - the 5 is too new, I guess.

My guess is this thing is too new. I'd say give the manufacturers a year or so to catch up with the 5

Hitches

Hitches are available for the Mazda5.
They're a couple threads somewhere in the forum that talk about this.
I had a hitch installed for a bike rack, however I would recommend that you look at the roof mounted bike racks if you want to carry two bikes. Because the rear hatch is plastic, you cannot secure the stabilizer strap to the top of the hatch (at least it isn't recommended) and so the hitch mounted bike rack tends to move alot.
I have a four bike rack and I don't really feel safe with it loaded on the back of the car. If you plan to carry more than two bikes then go for the hitch mounted rack.
Anthony

Attachments

• 5GT_1 018.jpg
    5GT_1 018.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3,422
Get a Class II if you can... Not because of weight capacity, but because more racks, accessories etc.. will fit the 2" Receiver. Plus It will accomidate the Max tow capacity of the 5.

There should be some out there, it's not that new a vechile. Most aftermarket parts manufacturers will get the car specs before it even hits the market so they can get a head start on new products.

Reese Hitch: From their website.
Part Number: 77150
Description: Insta-Hitch I
Class Rating: CLASS I
WC: 2000 lb.
Drawbar: 3593

Hidden Hitch
Part Number: 60841
Description: Class I (6xxxx Series) 1-1/4"
Class Rating: CLASS I
WC: 2000 lbs.
Drawbar Kit: 3593

Found these two in 2 secconds. They are class 1, and I would bet that they are both sourcing from the same manufacturer.

As far as installing... they are pretty straight forward in most cases, they will likely use existing holes in the frame of the Car, so you and a friend and a couple of wrenches should be able to mount it in about 30 minutes.

If your not inclined to install it yourself, I would go to a speciality shop, usually their pricing will include the hitch, wiring and installation and will be a bit more competitive as a package.

Good Luck.
MK

Back