Engine Mods

Hey Guys I have some thougths. Elsewhere I have heard that Mazda produces a 200hp L4 engine (FS-ZE) I've heard that the cams from this motor can drop into our MP3. Anybody have any insight on this?
I also found a 4-2-1 header that fits our motor as well, I understand that this will more than likely cause the car to fail emissions tests, but since I live in a state were there are no emission requirements I was thinking of throwing on the header. I've had a Civic Si in the past and I must say that it is much faster, but it didn't handle nearly as well as the MP3. My goal is to get as close to the 200hp mark as possible. Any thoughts?

I believe there are Jap pec intake and exhaust cams available from Corksport taken off from the FS-ZE engine, as well as a high compression piston set also taken from that engine. We can install it into our cars for a gain of probably 30 hp or so all together. I am giving the 30hp figure because the Japanese version of our car has 170 hp stock and the only differences are that it uses these cams, pistons, and a header without the darned catalytic.

For even more, you might want to play around with the air intake, do a full cat back exhaust, remove the other catalytic (since your state doesn't have emissions laws *sigh* so jealous), and change the ignition to round everything out. I don't think ignitions give much power, but balances the mods and gives a smotther idle, which must be pretty rough after you do all this. Happy modding!

Thanks! A full exhaust with not Cat would be nice! Do you have any idea if there would need to be any ECU reprograming to accomplish that, or can I just replace the cat with pipe?
What types of ignitions would be the best? I think I'm going to go with an MHP CAI for intake, and maybe a custom built exhaust with Tanabe muffler.
Have you heard any rumors as to super or turbocharger systems in the works?

I beieve that you can simply replace the cat with a straight pipe. I did that to my Probe GT back in the day hehe...there didn't seem to be any ort of problems there. Of course, if you start changing cams and pistons along with doing major overhauls in the intake/exhaust area, it's always good to do an ECU upgrade. To take full advantage of the power, a custom setup should be used in tandem with all the mods. That way the ECU is tuned exactly to your car's new specs! Zoom Zoom!

However, I wouldn't say that a custom ECU upgrade is a MUST. Many people survive perfectly well with only the gains from the individual parts themselves. But if wanna go all out...I'd do it! Now if only there was a tuner shop in Vancouver that could do custom ECU tuning... :(

Ignitions-wise, a popular one is the MSD. Even the Mazda Motorsports site sells that one! Another is Jacobs, but I dunno if those work for our cars.

FYI: I had an MSD custom done for my old car, and I ran into ignition problems down the road so I had to remove it, so I am sort of iffy about the MSD. Then again maybe the guys that did my 'custom' job didn't do it very well. :confused:

Turbos and superchargers: many rumors abound, but nothng definite yet. I'd hold off and wait for more news. The turbo or superchargers will probably work pretty well with your current planned mods anyways (with the exception of maybe needing a bigger exhaust).

Ooh I am thinking of theMHP as well, but the sales guy didn't reply (yet) when I told him their shopping cart wasn't encrypted and if I could use alternative ordering methods...

If your thinking about doing all that don't neglect the fuel. You might want to move into bigger injectors. Your motor can only make so much hp on the stock fuel injectors.

A nice way to deal with ECU reprogramming is with a fully adjustable ignition set-up from some place like Electromotive.

They sell some nice kits, the TECII is what I would look into. It'll work nice replacing the Mazda ignition system. The TECII is fully programable and you fine tune all the way through the RPM range to get the most out of the motor.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm so stoked to get started on this, I know that I have the only MP3 in nearly 150 miles. It woudl be so nice to have some HP to back up the looks and handling!
I know that Apexi makes a fuel/ignition contoler for other cars, maybe I should wait for them to coem out with one for the MP3, it woudl look real nice under my deck!
Man I thought I was gonna get myself outta debt but this is too fun! This car is gonna haul ass after I get done with it! I love my car! :D

Let's see, I own a limited edition car of which only 1500 exsist, and you own a Camaro, of which how many POS are running around? I bought the car because of exclusivity, and its "out of the box performance".
The whole idea behind the import scene is to tune your car to produce HP. See I got bored with my Civic cause I was tired of eating Sorry asses like yourself in drag races. I needed a new challenge and so did my performance shop. As it stands with the planned mods I shoudl be pushing 200Hp in NA form. Add a Turbo and the HP increases exponentially.
In My Opinion you should have used "Ain'tGotGame" as a sign in.

Originally posted by MP3 Beazie:
<STRONG>I bought the car because of exclusivity, and its "out of the box performance".</STRONG>

Sorry to hear that. You bought a sedan with a four cilinder engine for "out of the box performance"? So far I think you are an idiot but I will keep reading.

<STRONG>See I got bored with my Civic cause I was tired of eating Sorry asses like yourself in drag races.</STRONG>

Wow you do not have a clue! You are the common Civic owner that thinks that they are the s*** with their tin can exhaust and CAI. They think they are John Force himself. When you have never been behind the wheel of a real performance car. I still think you are an idiot.

<STRONG>I needed a new challenge and so did my performance shop. As it stands with the planned mods I shoudl be pushing 200Hp in NA form. Add a Turbo and the HP increases exponentially.</STRONG>

That is such a ****** waste of time. Why not save yourself some time a buy a real car. Moding a car and only getting 200hp is a ******* joke. You stand NO chance of ever beating real cars. Oh, and you are an idiot, now I am sure.

<STRONG>In My Opinion you should have used "Ain'tGotGame" as a sign in.</STRONG>

You do not have a clue. You have been around rice way to long. Get a clue man and buy a real car. My car had over 300hp from the factory!! A few mods and I am well over 400hp. You will never see numbers like that in they crap you are buying.

Hey game get a life if you think you got (game) well bring it, your camaro has horses and speed but our mp3 has a stock kenwood 280watt stereo system racing beat products/mods, nardi steering wheel and shift knob, racing pedals, white faced guages, and not to mention a Trunk mounted 10" subwoofer. You think a camaro z28 5-speed is fast, Keep dreaming. My brother in-law will put his 1995 Mazda R-x7 twin turbo vs. your piece of crap muscle car. you like straight away performance well so does the Rx-7. Not to mention a stock 1995 rx-7 will go 164mph. You think your car will go that fast i Dont think (SO). U like comparing cars well compare your peace of crap to a toyota supra v-6 turbo, a nissan 300zx twin turbo a Rx-7 twin turbo, or even a mitsubishi 3000gt twin turbo, go play around with them in a straight away performance and see what happens. if you wanna turn the circles around corners against the mp3 well go ahead and try and see if your z28 will turn, it'll probably flip over. "lol" a performance car is camaro z28 try something else. and japanese engine's are known to last longer than 45,000 miles before the "Chevy" breaks down.

Originally posted by <Tritonheat1>:
<STRONG>Hey game get a life if you think you got (game) well bring it, your camaro has horses and speed but our mp3 has a stock kenwood 280watt stereo system </STRONG>

Can you say Bose? And yes that is factory.

<STRONG>My brother in-law will put his 1995 Mazda R-x7 twin turbo vs. your piece of crap muscle car. </STRONG>

How do you ******* know that? Some people are so ignorant it is sad. He does not stand a chance in hell of winning. It is a rotary engine for the love of God.

<STRONG>toyota supra v-6 turbo, a nissan 300zx twin turbo a Rx-7 twin turbo, or even a mitsubishi 3000gt twin turbo, go play around with them in a straight away performance and see what happens. </STRONG>

Notice all are turbo and out of the price range. But I can best them all and I have.

<STRONG>if you wanna turn the circles around corners against the mp3 well go ahead and try and see if your z28 will turn, it'll probably flip over. "</STRONG>

According to someone else on this board:

RSX Type-S 23,650, 15.2 1/4 mile, 66.8 slalom
Z28 24,855, 13.9 1/4 mile, 65.1 slalom
Neon R/T 18,015, 16.2 1/4 mile, 62.4 slalom
Mustang GT 24,163, 14.7 1/4 mile, 64.0 slalom
MP3 18,500, 16.5 1/4 mile, 68.5 slalom
Eclipse GT 24,552, 15.6 1/4 mile, 63.0 slalom
Altima 3.5 24,920, 14.8 1/4 mile, 63.3 slalom
WRX 24,520, 14.4 1/4 mile, 62.3 slalom
Celica GT-S24,781, 15.7 1/4 mile, 63.6 slalom
GTi GLX 23,400, 15.6 1/4 mile, 64.8 slalom

There are only two cars on that list that have a slalom speed above the Z28. So you do not know what the **** you are talking about the Z28 is capable of pulling over 1G with some mods. And of those two cars with the better slalom speed they get their asses handed to them on a silver platter in the 1/4 mile.

<STRONG>and japanese engine's are known to last longer than 45,000 miles before the "Chevy" breaks down.</STRONG>

Japanese cars are known as plastic cheep POS that can't get out of its own way. You are a joke and obviously have no clue about real sports cars.

wehere did i say that the camaro can't beat a rx-7 or 300zx in the slalom i said u Retar* that u like straight away performance well try to race those cars and if u wanna turn the circles in the corners try to hang with the mp3 witch i doubt.

Game,

Too bad you have no clue. Just for Shitz I put a CAI and exhaist on the car. Then I decided to get Serious, The motor was taken out and sent to Jun in Japan. In NA form after receiving it back I had just under 290 RWHP! Try and get that out of your Z28. Since that wasn't enough yet I decided that a Turbo was the next step. A custom fab 3.5 in exhaust was contrusted by Tanabe for my car. Ingition was reworked the ECU was reprogrammed, intake manifolds were swaped of the B18a motor, the header was a JUN race model, fuel and air was regulated by Apexi, and hell at this point I only had $15,000 into mods and was pushing over 450 HP. Don't tell me I'm an idiot, I just have more money than you and woudln't want to waste what I've got on a Camaro, everybody's got one they ain't special.

<STRONG>I had just under 290 RWHP! Try and get that out of your Z28. </STRONG>

LOL! Really dude you have FOUR cilinders and I have EIGHT! Do you understand the physics behind that? Do you know what torque is? You are an idiot not me I know what I am doing.

<STRONG>, and hell at this point I only had $15,000 into mods and was pushing over 450 HP. Don't tell me I'm an idiot, I just have more money than you and woudln't want to waste what I've got on a Camaro, everybody's got one they ain't special. </STRONG>

First, you have 15,000 in mods and a car that is not a daily driver.

And for starters you do not have more money than I do. You may spend more on your car and are willing to go into debt but I am sure you do not make more than me. That I can promise.

Oh, and please I see more riced Civic's putting out there than Camaro's.

Also do you know what my car would do with a turbo?

"game" =
asshole.gif
and
fu.gif
madfawk.gif

Man what's youre problem we like what we got, if you dont then dont, and how you gona compare and freeking 4cly car to an 8cly 4.6l car, ummmmmmm no :mad:

Dude, if you had a clue!
Ive got a 10.5et muscle car in the garage...
but I drive a 4cyl everyday! the real world dictates that if your dick is so small you need to drive a camaro and brag about it you have no game!
1. you have 8cyl. and 16 valves............. real hi-tech..nope!
2. your milage must be close to your IQ!
3. modern performance is what were after! got me 80s man......loose the iron maiden tshirt and join the world! ps...John Force has no problem w/ import racing !
4. My other 4cyl. car does.98g and an 11.48et
all for 12thousand dollars....Knowledge is key!
:p

Back