New Owners - observations

miatafied

Contributor
:
Mazda5/kidhauler - Miata/fun car
New Owners - observations?

Just wondering if the new owners could sound off about any quirks or interesting things that they are noticing now that they are using the cars in the "real" world setting.

For me - one thing that gets me is the key release button near the ignition. My nails (well particularly my thumbnail) is too long for me to easily push the button to release it. I wonder if this is an issue with other women drivers.

Last edited:
miatafied said:
Just wondering if the new owners could sound off about any quirks or interesting things that they are noticing now that they are using the cars in the "real" world setting.

A self-created quirk...

Because I'm an idiot, I managed to create a very light scratch on the glove compartment from when I was picking up a bag that was on the passenger's side floor. A little buckle was loose and lifting up the bag made the buckle do the scratch. It's very minor but now I'm all sad because I did that. I'm trying to think of it as a light battle scar and accept that eventually something would have happened along those lines anyway, but instead I keep wondering if there's a way I can fix it easily.

Last edited:
Kaian said:
I keep wondering if there's a way I can fix it easily.
Warranty!
Take it back and tell them that it was scratched when you bought it. Make them give you a whole new glove box door. (lol2)

sand it down and have it painted the color of your car and get some little neon lights and hydrolics and.........lolz.
Its just a scratch, we all get them. Its just a reminder youre not perfect!

the_saint said:
Warranty!
Take it back and tell them that it was scratched when you bought it. Make them give you a whole new glove box door. (lol2)

Nah, I'm not going to take advantage for something I did. I thought about stopping by the dealer and showing it to them and seeing if they had a suggestion for it. It's not even very deep, it seems the sort of thing you might be able to cover up or something. (At first I thought it wasn't even a scratch, and I tried to clean it with a wet cloth.) Or maybe just see how much a glove box door would be (any ideas?). If it was like five bucks I'd replace it just to get back to perfection. Heh.

If i showed it to them and they offered to replace it for me that would be cool, but I don't want to lie and say it was there when it wasn't.

Last edited:
fam said:
Its just a scratch, we all get them. Its just a reminder youre not perfect!

It builds character. :) That's really what I'm trying to do though, just accept it and move on. It's not a big deal at all. At least I didn't get into an accident driving off the lot or something ridiculous like that.

the_saint said:
Warranty!

What kinda "Saint" are you!? :)

perfecto said:
What kinda "Saint" are you!? :)
that kind.
heh heh
naughty.gif

My dealer scatched my dash by shoving a license plate on the dash during a test drive and i did nothing, so likewise since they owe me just tell them that and they will fix your dash!

fam said:
My dealer scatched my dash by shoving a license plate on the dash during a test drive and i did nothing, so likewise since they owe me just tell them that and they will fix your dash!
Really? I thought it was illegal (let alone dangerous) to do that? The test drives I've been on they have never had to put a plate on it.
But now that I think about it, I have seen license plate holders that shut in the trunk or are magnetic.
That's pretty bad of the dealer to stuff a plate on the dash like that.

they did it when i test drove a focus for my wife too. May be a dumb ohio thing where you need front and back plates and the holes\mounts arent drilled yet until you buy the car.

Kaian said:
A self-created quirk...

Because I'm an idiot, I managed to create a very light scratch on the glove compartment from when I was picking up a bag that was on the passenger's side floor. A little buckle was loose and lifting up the bag made the buckle do the scratch. It's very minor but now I'm all sad because I did that. I'm trying to think of it as a light battle scar and accept that eventually something would have happened along those lines anyway, but instead I keep wondering if there's a way I can fix it easily.

Sorry about the "first scratch", Kaian!! I'm holding my breath for the first scratch/ding/rock chip (hand) on our car.

There must be something that you can do - I'll check with my professional detailer gurus and get back to you if they have a magic solution.

- Ceril

Kaian

Kaian - according to my detailing guru friends - a couple of suggestions - black shoe wax or Mequiars Plast-X.

Worth a try if it's really bugging you.

- Ceril

miatafied said:
Kaian - according to my detailing guru friends - a couple of suggestions - black shoe wax or Mequiars Plast-X.

Worth a try if it's really bugging you.

- Ceril

Interesting. I may give that a try. Thanks for the info.

miatafied said:

For me - one thing that gets me is the key release button near the ignition. My nails (well particularly my thumbnail) is too long for me to easily push the button to release it. I wonder if this is an issue with other women drivers.

Hmm...strange, I didn't even notice that there WAS a key release button. I must have unknowingly pressed it every time that I took the key out of the ignition.

One thing I've noticed, and it's more a curiousity than anything else, is that there's a small circle on the side of the front bumper to the right of the licence plate, but not one on the left of the license plate (the car's right, so it'll be on your left if you're standing in front of the car looking at it). Anyone else notice this and know why it's not symmetrical?

smaria said:
Hmm...strange, I didn't even notice that there WAS a key release button. I must have unknowingly pressed it every time that I took the key out of the ignition.

One thing I've noticed, and it's more a curiousity than anything else, is that there's a small circle on the side of the front bumper to the right of the licence plate, but not one on the left of the license plate (the car's right, so it'll be on your left if you're standing in front of the car looking at it). Anyone else notice this and know why it's not symmetrical?

lol you goof,
its a towing point, read the manual. Open up your trunk and notice the 8 inch long screw looking thing. You pop off the circle and you screw the towing\pulling thingy in it. Sorry for the vague words but I have a newborn child and I dont get sleep anymore.

Yep it's a towing point, and it's also used when they anchor the cars together in the ship over from Japan.

I learned a couple things reading my manual. E.G. the dash lights can be dimmed by twisting the guage cluster peg which i had previously thought was a non functional button. i thought that because my mazda 3 has the same control on the left side of the dash.

smaria said:

I believe the key release is on the manual transmission only, as I don't recall seeing it when I test drove the auto. But my memory is swiss cheese at times. :)

Back