MP3 Header

trobbins

I saw on Corksport.com they have a Mazdaspeed stainless header for the protege 1.8 and/or 2.0.

Does anyone know if this will fit our cars??

Its $739USD

The 2.0 liter one will fit but I thought it wasn't street legal because it removes the cat that's right off the exhaust manifold. The Mazda Motorsports header is supposed to be a more conventional 4-2-1 header design for the World Challenge Protege cars. (Read as off-road use only)

Hell, if you're willing to take the chance, go for it. My only concern would be the ECU and noise. Removing a cat will unleash a lot of noise. And by removing a cat, I'm pretty sure you kick on the CEL.

it will trigger the CEL. i had a 4-2-1 header on my zx2, no resinator. 2 1/4 pipe, and a dragun fire muffler. since i didnt have a cat my CEL came on and my car was LOUD. people had no problem knowing when i was around.
but if you live in a area that doesnt have smog you can always get a performance cat and get it welded into the downpipe. dont know if it would smog but you would be visual inspection passed. thats what MO does.

well as far as finding parts for our car it is hard .. but i will let you in on a secret we have the same engine as a ford Probe SE 2.0 ,,, i Currently have a exaust system off of a 93 Ford Probe on my Car with minor mods.. you have to have a extra o2 sensor bolt weilded into it and some flange work done to the ford cat .. 2 different size flages,, your check engin light will come on in a day or 2 .. because the o2 sensers not being before and after the first and forgoten cat.. oh and its not that loud i pomise .. shoot me a e-mail if you want more details ..

Brian,
If this is true about the engines being the same, will other parts from the probe engine fit ours too. Such as CAI, pulleys, cams, etc.? Let me know.

Ben

No kidding? a ford probe huh? Yeah drop us a line on that s*** we will all be very interested. Thanx :cool:

they but the 2.0L in the Ford Probe 90-97.. SE .. our cars already have the Mazda J-Spec exaust cam .. we can order the J-Spec intake cam for from (part# FSH9-12-420) C CAMSHAFT, INTAKE PROTEGE 2.0 FS, 1.8 FS 1998-01, 1999-01 $167.10

Notes: Used in place of stock intake cam, this intake cam from the Japanese Sport 20 will add 12 hp to your FS engine. Not smog legal. .... this is the add from www.mazdamotorsports.com .... you will want to search by engin type and if you dont know .. that will be the 2.0 dohc I-4 .. and a full list of parts for our engings will be shown .. from lighend flywheel .. oh and i was wrong earlyer .. the us enging code is FS .. the J-Spec is FSZE

oh and by the way .. come on now have have been giving so good info .. except my tubo project .. sombody rate me ...lol :D

Are you serious that we already use the j-Spec exhaust cam?? And I was about to order it too...hehe I'll rate you if you can give me a definite answer... :eek:

The FSD motor in the MP3 was the same as the 2.0 liter in the ES model, which means it has the stock cams as any other Protege 2.0 liter.

If Brian is right then that would mean that every 2.0 liter (Protege 5 and ES and LX 2.0) have the J-spec exhaust cam??

The exhaust cam on the FS-ZE motor was supposed to be special, from Mazdaspeed I thought. I forget though

Ben i was trying to find the were i had read that we had the j-spec exaust cam, but im not sure. I know thats one of the hot topic at the Probe sites because they want our exaust cam but it dose not have a distibutor gear on it so they cant use it enless they scrap the stock ignition system

Thanks for the info Brian...I checked out the Probe forum and learned a heckuva lot, but wasn't able to find the post on the exhaust cam (I'll do a more detailed search later).

I believe the stock exhaust cam for our car is either the J-Spec from the FS-ZE (still trying to determine, with Brian's help) or it's just stock Protege...

Chris, I think the FS-ZE exhaust cam isn't made my Mazdaspeed...my reasoning behind this is because I've checked both the Corksport site and the Mazda Motorsports site...at MM they sell the exhaust cam from the FS-ZE, while at Corksport they sell both that cam and a Mazdaspeed exhaust cam.

I would assume that the parts are not the same in that case...unless Mazdaspeed made the FS-ZE cam AND did another more aggressive version to sell as aftermarket on their own... :cool: I'd like that! But I doubt it, IMO.

Your right, I think the Mazdaspeed exhaust cam is from the "Sport 20" which uses the FS-ZE, but the cam from Mazdaspeed isn't used in all FS-ZE specifically...I dont' know what I was thinking. But, if the FS-ZE exhaust cam is a stock 2.0 liter part, then the intake cam would be a nice fit and would be one less part you would need to change the MP3 motor over to FS-ZE specs.

I thought Mazda Motorsports had the intake cam and an un-ground cam you can buy. The intake cam is from the FS-ZE motor.

if any of you ever crawl under your car you might find out ther is another cat under there besides the one on the header!

jayrcr:

Your talking about that larger section of round tube right? I thought that was just a pre-silencer, not a cat...The pictures I've seen of after-market cat-back systems remove that section, so it shouldn't be a cat...

You see the 2 wires going into that big round tube? 1 is visible from the engine bay, other from under the car. They are O2 sensors hehe, silencers don't have O2 sensors :)

Back