Roof racks/accessories - availability

miatafied

Contributor
:
Mazda5/kidhauler - Miata/fun car
On the european models the pics show installed roof racks. The dealer had no info on roof racks and the us mazda site doesn't list it as an option.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket roof racks - thule or yakima(sp?)

I'm thinking that if we ever did have 6 people loaded up in the 5 we may need a roof thingy just to hold our bags. Also great for the trips to home depot.

Incidentally the european mazda site has some nice little chromy dress up stuff for the 5 - if you're into that stuff - chrome door handles - sideview mirrors, etc.

- Ceril

There will be a OEM roof rack accessory, they're just focusing on getting the vehicle launched right now.

I guess I should be a little patient - hey I don't even have the car yet! We are already trying to map out what our first big road trip should be.

I just got a note from my dealer (in Canada) that accessories won't be available to order until July 29th. I have a standing request for a rear step plate (necessary on this car for sure) and a roof rack.

perfecto said:
I just got a note from my dealer (in Canada) that accessories won't be available to order until July 29th. I have a standing request for a rear step plate (necessary on this car for sure) and a roof rack.

What exactly is a rear step plate? Is this something to help kids get into the car through the sliding doors?

I think it might be a piece that goes on the top side of the rear bumper so the paint doesn't get all chewed up from stuff going in and out of the trunk.

Something like this maybe?
Clicky

Last edited:
the_saint said:
I think it might be a piece that goes on the top side of the rear bumper so the paint doesn't get all chewed up from stuff going in and out of the trunk.

Something like this maybe?
Clicky

Yup, that's definitely what it is, except that the one for the Mazda5 will probably look nicer than the Scion one ;)

smaria said:
Yup, that's definitely what it is, except that the one for the Mazda5 will probably look nicer than the Scion one ;)
Yeah, Scion cover is extremely cheesy...but the JDM Toyota bB one is nice. It's a polished aluminum cover, very sexy (humpleg) , I guess it dent's easily though, not very utilitarian...but it looks good :)
JDM clicky

perfecto said:
It should look like the one for the Mazda 3 hatch.

Yeah, I expect it'll be very similar. But it shouldn't have a gap in the middle like the 3's does (the 5's rear hatch handle isn't at the bottom of the hatch like in the 3, so the gap isn't necessary).

perfecto said:
I I have a standing request for a rear step plate (necessary on this car for sure) and a roof rack.

Definitely the necessity - the kids were climbing up on the rear of the 5 at the showroom and it was making me nervous that there was no plate there.

- ceril

Back