Space between Brake paddle & Gas paddle

Zankar

Two days back I test drove Mazda 5 at dealership. I like the vehicle but my driving experience was not good. The position and space between brake paddle and gas paddle is not at all perfectly designed. My foot was getting stuck while changing from gas paddle to break paddle and vise versa.

Next day to make this sure I took my friend to Mazda dealership for test-drive. I didnt tell him my driving experience. And after test-drive he observed the same thing.

So is there any problem? Did anybody experience this kind of problem? And is it safe in case of emergency breaking?

Please let me know your opinion regarding this. I am planning to buy this vehicle pretty soon. I have a 4 month old child. I dont want to take any risk regarding this. So please give me your guidance. Thanks.

Deleted the duplicate. Anyway. I didn't notice this at all, and I just got home from driving my 5. :)

If you testdrove a Mazda3 you'd say the same thing. Mazda's in general, Mazda3 & 5 in particular, have close spacing between the pedals. The reason is a combination of factors that I'm not going into the specifics of (it'd be a very long post).

But anyways, if this is a concern, my suggestion is to work with your dealership to get a more extended testdrive (I'm just throwing out suggestions here, but what I mean is to perhaps borrow it a day to go to and from work, have an overnight testdrive, or just taking more regular testdrives). The aim is to see if you can get used to it (most people do), but if you just cannot get used to it and be comfortable with it then you know what, the shoe just doesn't fit.

During my test drive I did notice the same thing. The brake pedal it too wide to me. I'm thinking about buying manual and I asked sales guy if 5 spd have the same issue. He said the pedals with 5 spd are better. Well, we'll see...

i test drove twice but didn't experience this problem. what's your current drive? I've been driving Honda civic for 7 yrs.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I took my wife for a test drive a couple of days ago, the salesman (who was very familiar with the 5, to my surprise) was telling us something about the pedals automatically dropping down during a big impact.

Actually now I recall that Lemon Aid used cars comments about Mazda 3 about this. They said some drivers might go to aftermarket to feel more comfortable. So we're not dreaming here.

the pedals automatically dropping down during a big impact.
so.... is it one of the safety features or what?

PolarBear, my civic is manual. perhaps that's why i used to deal with small pedal with tight pattern. But it maybe a risk for my wife. so, what's the solution to solve it.

Ive found if I dont wear big shoes or boots i no longer hit both pedals at the same time by accident :)

vizeta said:
so.... is it one of the safety features or what?

PolarBear, my civic is manual. perhaps that's why i used to deal with small pedal with tight pattern. But it maybe a risk for my wife. so, what's the solution to solve it.

Im still tying to find info on this, but according to him during a major impact the engine and pedals are set to "drop down". Of course the pedals would collapse to the floor and not outside the car :D

Edit: On the Mazda website, it has info on the "crushable pedals", but nothing on the engine.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your input.

Wongpres, please explain me more about Combination of factors. I would really appreciate that.

Vizeta, Even I have been driving manual Honda Civic for last 4 year. I test drove so many different vehicles for last 1 month, but I didnt observed this kind of problem from any vehicle.

So is there any way we can solve this problem? I am just worried in case of emergency what if my foot gets stuck on gas paddle instead of going to break paddle

Back