First mod?

perfecto

:
2006 Mazda 5 GT
So, Mazda5 owners or future owners... what is going to be your first "mod" to the 5?

I'm personally going to tint the back 5 windows (not allowed to tint the front 3 in my Province) first, and then I might look into some other mods like a strut bar or maybe sway bars... :)

i am thinking of adding a Mazda5 section to the site once parts become readily available

Sounds good to me - I am hoping that a lot of the parts for the 3 will fit the 5, since they share the same engine. (only tuned a bit different in the 5)

Springs and swaybars are must for 1st mods. The Body would come second and last but not least the wheels. I like the stock wheels on there already.

Yeah me too Rodscalip5 - I like the stock 17" wheels that came with my 5. :) I've had a couple of Mazda3 owners asking if I want to swap. hehe

First mod - figuring out how to get the ipod hooked up along with how to set up the portable DVD player for the kids. (I'd really like to integrate the 2 screens into the back of the front headrests....we'll see)

First before all else - I'm scotch guarding the seats - those little munchkins better not get my car dirty!!

I've been forbidden to mess with the engine or suspension....where does that leave the compulsive modder?

miatafied said:
I've been forbidden to mess with the engine or suspension....where does that leave the compulsive modder?
Well...I think that pretty much leaves you with the ICE (in car entertaiment) or you could look for a local Modders Anonymous support group. (lol2)

my first mod will be hookup a pair of thick wire from battary in engine bay to the center arm rest. I need direct power from battery for my 400w 12v to 110v transformer. I need that for my baby's milk steam warmer. it takes 300Watts, so i cannot use the interior AC outlet which can up 10A max.

Have you guy slooked at Mazda3 suspension stuff?

I know the 5 weighs in a few hundred pounds more, but it sits on the same platform. Mazdaspeed accesories has stuff for the 3 that should fit in no problem.

As for a strut tower bar, good luck. It looks like a tight fit over that battery box under the hood.

I saw an article that H&R springs in Europe has done something for the 5, but I haven't found out what they did exactly.

And, there isn't much room behind the back seats and the lift gate in the rear...Looks like some creative sub mounting will be needed.

PS - Did I mention I like these things? I crawled all over one at the dealership today. They seem pretty cool, with some neat features. I'm not much of a van guy, but this one I'm actually interested in.

I think the springs or coilovers from a 3 will not work for the simple reason weight dist. The load in the 5 will be dispursed a whole lot differently than in a 3 I would think. 3 springs would probably end up sagging in the rear of a 5 very quickly.
As for subs, you're right. Maybe something in the spare tire well? I guess I should get a 5 before I start all this speculation. lol

the_saint said:
I think the springs or coilovers from a 3 will not work for the simple reason weight dist. The load in the 5 will be dispursed a whole lot differently than in a 3 I would think. 3 springs would probably end up sagging in the rear of a 5 very quickly.
As for subs, you're right. Maybe something in the spare tire well? I guess I should get a 5 before I start all this speculation. lol

It's a start. I thought about the weight difference in regards to the rates on the 3 stuff, but I wasn't sure how the 5 carries the extra weight. I'm guessing the roof, lift gate and seats.

And, the spare tire deal sounds like its the only place for something.

Also, if importing expensive stuff sounds like fun, AuotExe has some cool stuff for the Premacy, aka Mazda5...

StuttersC said:
Also, if importing expensive stuff sounds like fun, AuotExe has some cool stuff for the Premacy, aka Mazda5...
Is there an american importer of Autoexe stuff? I found the Japanese site and they have lowering springs (30mm), strut bars, tie bars, and some other stuff, as well as body kits.
Autoexe

anarchistchiken said:
The Autoexe front bumper is sex. That should be everyone's first mod.
What would be the point if everybody did it? Personally, I'd kit the car to look different from everyone else. :D

the_saint said:
Is there an american importer of Autoexe stuff? I found the Japanese site and they have lowering springs (30mm), strut bars, tie bars, and some other stuff, as well as body kits.
Autoexe

What would be the point if everybody did it? Personally, I'd kit the car to look different from everyone else. :D

Everybody will not do it. Trust me, if you get an Autoexe kit on your 5, you will most likely be 1 of a handful. Go to Autornd.com, they import Autoexe stuff, call and ask for Rishie.

RODSCALIP5 said:
Everybody will not do it. Trust me, if you get an Autoexe kit on your 5, you will most likely be 1 of a handful.
I knew that, I was just being sarcastic...which is quite difficult since inflection is hard to convey over the internet.

Thanks for the heads up on where to get parts. I'm new to the mazda world, so I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to suppliers.

Well, I've started to add the DVD system in - still not sure if I like how the screens look and I have to figure out how I'm gonna run the wiring. The back shelf in the glove compartment is awesome!! It's big enough to hold the DVD player and a few DVD's along with the manual, etc.

Attachments

• DSCN3861.JPG
    DSCN3861.JPG
    652.3 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN3863.JPG
    DSCN3863.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN3864.JPG
    DSCN3864.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 222
So is your M5 Strato Blue or Phantom Blue?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am a guy, so can't tell one color from anther...(black, gray, white, I can handle...).

Thanks

Back