Test Drove 5 Speed Mazda5.

:
10 MS3
O.k. so I went to the local Mazda dealer after work to test drive the 5. The dealer was stocking 2 Manual transmissions(Basic and loaded) and 1 Auto. The 5 was parked right next to an MPV and Mazda3, I wonder why :D. The 5 is clearly much smaller than the MPV but a little bit bigger than the 3, I would say it looks like a Matrix or Vibe. While waiting for the sales guy to get the keys I had a chance to play around.

Exterior: As I mentioned above the 5 is much like the Matrix and Vibe as far as body style. The the rear lights are ugly IMO. The wheels I thought were nice wrapped around some Toyo Proxes. The sliding doors were also nice, when fully open, they would not slide or close without you pulling the handle. I thought this was a nice safety feature.

Interior: The inside is very nice, the seats are comfortable, but might not be so nice for bigger people(Im 5'7" 165). The rear seats are not for adults or teens. I sat back there and I felt really cramped even when moving the 2 passenger seats forward. The headrest need to be popped up all the way in order to rest your head. The interior features are nice with many "secret" compartments. When occupying all 4 passenger seats the is little to 0 room in the rear for storage, although there in space at the bottom before the spare tire. I sat in both the base and loaded model, and IMO the loaded model is much better(No Sh*t). The leather wrapped steering wheel, moonroof are a must :D. If not then just the leather wrapped steering wheel.

Engine Compartment: Not a lot of space, is all I can say.

So finally, after messing around with the 5 for a while the sales guy comes back and hands me the keys. To my surprise, he hands a key that requires you push the button to let it out(Like the VW's).

The Drive: As we pulled out I couldnt help but gun it :D. The acceleration was very good, I was surprised by the way it hauled because of it's size. Third gear seemed to be where it pulled the most. The shifting was smooth but very long. The clutch IMO was terrible, too soft. Handling on this car is amazing, there was little body roll. I had previously test drove a Mazda6 5door and I can say that the 5 handles better than that one. I have not had the opportunity to test drive a 3, so I cannot compare it to that. Overall, I was real happy with the way the 5 drove and handled.

Conclusion: Overall, I think the 5 is a good car but overpriced. The base model I tested was $18K and the loaded model was $22K. If an extra seat is necessary then this is the car for you. Although, there were some loaded MPV's going for $22K. If 6 seats is not necessary then I must say the 3 is a better value. The MPG was also very unsat, 27 on Highway and 22 on the road, the WRX gets the same MPG. I really don't understand why Mazda priced this car so high.

Personal Opinion: I would buy the 5 if the price was somewhere in the $15K area. The 5 has potential and is unique, which I like. The Handling was outstanding and the acceleration was also very good. As a young father, this would be the perfect vehicle for me, but it is not worth trading in my WRX. However, I would however trade in the wifes Civic in a heartbeat :D.

Last edited:
Nice to see another review to compare and contrast. :)

RODSCALIP5 said:
I would say it looks like a Matrix or Vibe.

I think it's nicer than both of those, but I agree it looks more like those kind of vehicles than a minivan.

RODSCALIP5 said:
The the rear lights are ugly IMO.

I like 'em myself, but I can see why someone wouldn't like them as they are pretty distinctive. The online pictures show them off pretty well though,so I think most people can figure out if they like the rear lights or not just by seeing a picture.

RODSCALIP5 said:
The sliding doors were also nice, when fully open, they would not slide or close without you pulling the handle. I thought this was a nice safety feature.

My wife was very impressed with the sliding doors.

RODSCALIP5 said:
Interior: The inside is very nice, the seats are comfortable, but might not be so nice for bigger people(Im 5'7" 165). The rear seats are not for adults or teens. I sat back there and I felt really cramped even when moving the 2 passenger seats forward.

I thought the third row was ok, but not great, with the second rowseat pushed forward about as far as it could go. :)

RODSCALIP5 said:
The leather wrapped steering wheel, moonroof are a must :D. If not then just the leather wrapped steering wheel.

Yeah, you can get the moonroof with a Sport model, but the leather wheel is Touring only.

RODSCALIP5 said:
To my surprise, he hands a key that requires you push the button to let it out(Like the VW's).

The Switchblade Key. :) I like that.

RODSCALIP5 said:
If an extra seat is necessary then this is the car for you.

My problem is i have two boys in car booster seats, and a third child coming soon. Doing "three across" in most cars is a challenge, and even when all the seats fit the kids are pretty tight together. I like that I can space them out in the 5 and still have a seat left over. I can put both boys in the third row, baby in second row, and have room for an extra adult passenger. Or if I need more than minimal storage, I can have one kid in third row with other half down for loading stuff, and the other two kids in the second row. For me that's great flexibility even if most of the time I'll have a max of five people to take.

RODSCALIP5 said:
Although, there were some loaded MPV's going for $22K. If 6 seats is not necessary then I must say the 3 is a better value. The MPG was also very unsat, 27 on Highway and 22 on the road, the WRX gets the same MPG. I really don't understand why Mazda priced this car so high.

I agree with all of this.

aint gonna happen for atleast a year witht he 5.

i test drove a touring w/ nav & auto yesterday

the 1st gear pick up was good. the other gear seems to be just so-so

i am a bit worried about having 6 people in there with 2.3L engine, the numbers hp & tq # seems low for a loaded vehicle

handling was decent and the ride is comfy enough for me. it was nice and quite on local street too.

too bad its a little early for me to have a mini-mini-van lol :D

hmm, maybe I should look into a 5 when the 6 is gone, sounds like the right type of car for me.

Mikey444 said:
hmm, maybe I should look into a 5 when the 6 is gone, sounds like the right type of car for me.

I think that's the aim.....all of us sporty car lovers starting families - what do we drive? A dodge caravan? A suburban? hell no!! the 5 is made for us.

I have to drive a chrysler town and country until my protege 5 gets fixed. Everytime I drive it I realize how much more I love my baby. Only good thing bout the van is the fold down seats so you have room to have some fun (yes) in the back ;)

$18K-$22K is too expensive?

They priced it right between the 3 and the 6 (and actually kept it closer to the price of the 3). How much lower do you want them to go? You can't price it at $15K because that's base Mazda3 territory.

jersey_emt said:

They priced it right between the 3 and the 6 (and actually kept it closer to the price of the 3). How much lower do you want them to go? You can't price it at $15K because that's base Mazda3 territory.

I agree here - for a similarly equipped (alloys, nav, curtain air bags, etc., etc.) regular size mini-van - you'd be paying a heck of alot more. Plus the availability of a manual trans and the slightly better gas mileage - I think that it's got alot of bang for the buck.

We have 2 kids and could use the extra passenger room from time to time - but we felt that plunking down $30+K on a minivan was ridiculous. Moving over from a subaru impreza wagon to the mazda5 - the prices are comparable while the extra utility with the 5 is definitely a plus. Sure the 3rd row is a little tight - but compared to the 3rd row in a toyota highlander or dodge durango - it's kinda spacious!

- Ceril

jersey_emt said:

$15K would have been perfect, for me at least :D.

working for Mazda, I really think $22,000 for a loaded Touring Pkg model is a friggin bargain. A loaded 3s can go for $22,000 and its a much smaller car to be sure. i don't dig the back end of the car either, but the front end is very slick and i'd be giddy as glee to see a hiboost turbo kit on this thing :D

Captain KRM P5 said:
working for Mazda, I really think $22,000 for a loaded Touring Pkg model is a friggin bargain. A loaded 3s can go for $22,000 and its a much smaller car to be sure. i don't dig the back end of the car either, but the front end is very slick and i'd be giddy as glee to see a hiboost turbo kit on this thing :D

My almost fully loaded 3s was stickered for just over 22. Just FYI. Only things i didn't have was leather, xenon, tire pressure monitoring, and nav system.

Nice review though, very in depth.

Back